VW FSi engines - c8
Would appreciate any advice on the new VW 1.6 FSi engine, particularly is it cambelt or chain. There seems to be a move towards more chains for longevity. I'm looking at the Touran and thinking of the long term. So, any comments from buyers would be useful, HJ's report gives it good write up.
Does anyone know of an Internet site other than this one, that contains this sort of technical information?
VW FSi engines - c8
Wouldn't normally reply to my own posting, but Iam confused - not being very technical - and after a google search turned up www.germancarfans.com with this...
The 1.6-litre powerplant is equipped with an aluminium crankcase and demonstrates very good acoustic properties. Thus for example the toothed belt drive operates with a noise-optimised inverted tooth chain.
Does this mean it's a belt and a chain?
VW FSi engines - Dr Rubber
I am also trying to find out if an FSI is belt or chain driven. All I have been able to find out is that the 1.6FSI engine has no specified belt change mileage. The standard 1.6 is at 60k, and the 2.0 FSI is 120k.
Erwin (VW's pay per view technical site) has a title which describes the 1.4 and 1.6 FSI engines as chain driven. However I am not paying the fee to find out more.
As for an aluminium crankcase, I think it has a new aluminium head and revised pistons, but the block is the standard 1.6 cast iron unit.
Any VAG specilist out there with more info? Trouble is these engines are so new even the dealers can't help (the one I use has not yet serviced a 1.6FSI engine yet).
Joe
VW FSi engines - Matt A W
The 1.6FSI is basically a derivative of the 1.6 unit found in Golf IV/Seat Leon. 1598cc, 16v, alu head and block. That engine has belt driven camshafts so wouldn't be too surprised to find the FSI version has also. Might be wrong though....