Refusing to balance wheels - doctorchris
My local independent tyre depot are very good on price and do a good job fitting tyres and even use a torque wrench on wheelnuts of late. However you have to fight like hell to get them to balance the wheels after fitting tyres, even though it earns them £4 a tyre.
Firstly it's "well guv, don't need to balance rear wheels" and they won't listen to my explanation of the effects on tyre wear and wheel bearings of the forces generated by unbalanced wheels, let alone the fact that I rotate wheels front back to front sometimes.
Next it's "have to let the tyres settle before balancing" but as they are so busy I can't face another hour long wait a couple of weeks down the line to have balancing done.
Has anyone else had this sort of problem or is it that the local guys are unbalanced?
Refusing to balance wheels - terryb
Whatever happened to "the customer is always right"?

Terry

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"
Refusing to balance wheels - Sooty Tailpipes
They probably know their machine is carp!
Refusing to balance wheels - Cliff Pope
It sounds mad. I've never heard that you had to let tyres 'settle' before balancing. They always balance them straight after fitting.
Refusing to balance wheels - Dizzy {P}
Letting the mould residue wear off before balancing might have been useful 30 or 40 years ago, but not with today's precision tyres!

I had to have a new tyre yesterday, due to running over a piece of metal when I pulled onto a verge to let a lorry manoevre. Apex Tyres of Peterborough fitted a 195/65 x 15V Continental CP for £55 all in, including balancing, valve and disposal fee.

They wouldn't dream of suggesting that the customer leaves balancing until later even though their prices and service mean that they are overwhelmed with work. Apparently there were ten customers already waiting when the place opened yesterday morning!
Refusing to balance wheels - henry k
Letting the mould residue wear off before balancing might have been
useful 30 or 40 years ago, but not with today's precision
tyres!

I thought that it was the car makers got the "precision tyres" hence the lack of wheel balance weights on new cars?
Refusing to balance wheels - pastyman
Dizzy {p},

I take my hat off to you, i am a HGV 1 driver and it is difficult manouvering into some places due to some car drivers who have left their brains at home, but for a car driver to pull over for a lorry to get into a place is a rare occurence.
You are to be applauded.

Pastyman...
Refusing to balance wheels - Imagos
>>£55 all in, including balancing,
valve and disposal fee.

disposal fee??

this really grates me, once it's off my rim it's not my problem, it's just another rip off.this cost could easily be absorbed into tyre price(which it is probably anyway), a good example of tyre companies taking us for mugs. still only in britain...
In fact I was simply asked for £55; no actual mention of disposal fee. However I know that it was included because it is mandatory. It is nothing whatsoever to do with the tyre manufacturers so attacking them over it is unfair.
Refusing to balance wheels - Manatee
It obviously does cost meaningful amounts of money to dispose of tyres legally - presumably why the low-lifes have just dumped a load at the side of the road half a mile from here 2 nights ago.
Refusing to balance wheels - Andrew-T
Come off it, imag - recent legislation makes it more complicated to dispose of old tyres (many seem to end up in farmyards). The charge round here seems to be about a quid. Would you feel better if it was rolled up in the price so you weren't told?

Being charitable, the purpose it to prevent old tyres becoming your problem.
Refusing to balance wheels - ShereKhan
I've just changed the tyres on my father's Rover 600. I already had a good Michelin Energy 195/65 x15V spare and two Dunlop Monza's. I Bought these when I changed he front tyres two years. The plan was to put them on when the front tyres wore out. However the company who sold them to me went bankrupt.
I managed to get a Michelin 195/65 x15V to match my spare for £58 fitted & balanced at Eventstyres Manchester.

After they had fitted the tyres I noticed that the Dunlop's needed more weights to be added in order to balanced. I asked the tyre fitter why the Dunlop's needed more weights than the Michelin's. The pointed out that the Michelin's are heavier and better tyres than the Dunlop's.

--
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
Refusing to balance wheels - Andrew-T
I think some places say it is just possible for a vigorous driver to skid a new tyre round a wheel before the lubricant dries out on the bead, so they advise waiting a day or two before balancing. I reckon it's easier to balance at the same time and drive gently instead.
Henry, what's that about no balance weights on new cars? Mine was new in July 2003 and I can assure you that it has balance weights. Surely no maker would send out a new car without the wheels being balanced?!!

Andrew, good point. All new tyres should be run-in for a few miles anyway but there are drivers with no sympathy at all for the well-being of their car, especially if they haven't bought it themselves.

Tyre slippage was a very severe problem on dragsters at one time, due to high power being transmitted through very wide slicks running at low pressure. Cured, as you may know, by screwing the tyres to the wheel rims!
Refusing to balance wheels - Cyd
We used to have problems with the tyres rotating on the rims on our rally car!!

Personally I've never ever ever ever had a new tyre fitted and not had it balanced at the same time. Indeed it seems standard practice to balance straight away without even asking.

I'd say they're BS'ing you, but i can't think why. Go somewhere else.