Red light camera scam explained - Alwyn
Folks,

If you look at this US site you will see a full explanation of the short amber scam and also that safety engineers were told to use "enforcement" by shortening the yellow light time rather use safety by making it longer.

freedom.house.gov/auto/rlcreport.asp

Take care
Re: Red light camera scam explained - Robert Fleming
Interesting link. Does anyone know if hypothecation applies to red light cameras in this country?
Re: Red light camera scam explained - Alwyn
Does hypothecation apply to red light cameras? Probably.

We in North Wales have to suffer the attentions of the king of Gatsos,
Chief Constable Richard Brunstrom.

It seems he had been let down by his advisors when he said the recent trial of speed cameras was a success and saved lives. He says there is going to be " a camera on every corner"

In the 8 areas trialled, fatalities went down in two areas and went up by up to 18% in three others. It is alleged that some of the areas of the trials were selected because the 1989 figures were much higher than expected and would very likely fall to previous levels with or without cameras.

Statisticians from Cardiff University said " This is how to lie with statisitcs. It is very naughty to claim that cameras are saving lives when there is a blip in the figures"

Since Gatso's were introduced in 1991, road casualties have risen from 307,000 to 320,000 ( DETR figures) Fatalities have been on a downward trend and were coming down by an average of 130 fatalities year since 1960, but in the year of the trial, the fall across the UK was just 14.

Some success story!
Re: Red light camera scam explained - THe Growler
Meanmwhile, we happily harbor terrorists while the law stuffs around with this mental pygmy-ism.
Re: Red light camera scam explained - Andrew Bairsto
Mark will bear me out on this .Brasil traffic lights are RED = GO ;AMBER= GO
GREEN = I MAY HAVE TO STOP TO LET PEOPLE IN THE OTHER DIRECTION PASS;
Re: Red light camera scam explained - THe Growler
Yes, I can relate. On my first trip to Taipei, Taiwan i was told: (as near verbatim as e-mail will allow): "you no worry bout trapic light. He for reference only. No need stop only if preeceman around. Maybe big truck coming also, then better to stop, otherwise no probrem". Personally I believe this is a far better system than UK"s. It makes you much a more careful driver!
Re: Red light camera scam explained - Mark (Brazil)
> Mark will bear me out on this .Brasil traffic lights are RED = GO ;AMBER= GO
> GREEN = I MAY HAVE TO STOP TO LET PEOPLE IN THE OTHER DIRECTION PASS;

Its true, except they don't always obey the rule for GREEN.
Re: Red light camera scam explained - Mark (Brazil)
And also, if for some reason they have actually stopped at a red light then the following process is something like this;

Light goes green;

Wow, look at the girl over there...
If I honk my horn and hang out the window making grunting noises she'll let me have sex with her
Why is that car behind me shouting so much ?
The girl has ignored me, she must not have heard, I'll do it again but louder
Oh shut up, car behind
I wonder what that green light is for ?
Oh look, a new corner bar I haven't seen before..
Its definitely green, I wonder why..
I'm sure I know that man in the Bar, I'll shout at him....
Oh look I'm late, I hope this traffic moves soon
Why is the man in the bar ignoring me ?
Don't know what the green light was for, but it can't have been important its amber now
Oh look, its gone red, thats nice, it must be a new decoration.
Oh well, time to move off, I've been here long enough
WHERE DID THAT IDIOT COME FROM ? HE ALMOST HIT ME ! Doesn't he understand traffic lights, I dunno, you wait for hours and then when you move off you still almost get crashed into. Its the government, the bloody politicians, the Policiar Militar and the other drives.

Oh look, there's that girl again..............
Indian rule of the road - vin
Before I went to India, I was told that the rule of the road is that the largest vehicle has priority. I took the advice, but for some reason never processed it.

The problem is that after years of driving in mainly law-abiding England, I wasn't ready for the consequences of this when riding a pushbike in India. Flying down a hill on a (rare) stretch of dual carriageway, you're not conditioned to expect the truck approaching on a road from the left to pull out straight in front of you. It does, of course.

After a bit, you learn, though you do get homesick for the fantastic quality of driving in the UK.
Re: Red light camera scam explained - Stu
Inspired.