PSA oil pressure switch - Clanger
Had a fright in my Citroen Synergie yesterday. The oil pressure light came on at some traffic lights after a blast down the A1. It went off as soon as revs increased to 2000 or so. Lifting the bonnet showed fresh oil streaming down the front of the engine apparenty from the oil pressure switch. I've replaced the switch (and topped up the oil) because I could see oil seeping out next to the single contact on the switch body with the connector off and the engine running. Now, I've had oil pressure switches fail before on Citroen CXs but I've never heard of them failing on an XUD engine. This is confirmed by the local Citroen dealer who hasn't heard of a failure either and the parts wizard doesn't keep them in stock. Anyone out there care to comment?

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
PSA oil pressure switch - davemar
Had the little copper washer disintegrated? Or maybe it had been cross-threaded at some point when fitted in the past and finally worked itself loose. What state was the switch in when you removed it?

Hope you didn't lose too much oil, and started wearing things down inside - touch wood.
PSA oil pressure switch - P 2501
Never heard of this one Hawkeye! i've kept several cars with these engines in for a while now and no problems like this. when was the oil last changed? some kind of blockage maybe?
PSA oil pressure switch - Clanger
Davemar, switch grubby but not damaged, copper washer intact and smooth, never been cross-threaded.

P 2501, oil changed religiously by me using Morris semi-synth and latterly Total 7000 semi-synth every 6K miles since about 23K to current 110K.

I caused a few raised eyebrows by going to the local Tesco garage jet wash and spending my £1 (3 minutes worth) blasting the engine clean. The amount of crud falling out underneath the undertray suggests the switch has been leaking slightly for a week or two.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
PSA oil pressure switch - DL
Sounds like a simple switch unit failure to me.

Replace it and relax, it'll be fine.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link