Why are diesel's turboed? - mfarrow
Hi

I was wondering, as I was looking at diesel engined cars, why most modern engines are turboed? Why is it that a 1.4 litre diesel engine (eg ford) is turboed, yet most petrol's aren't!
Why are diesel's turboed? - fossyant
Someone will correct me, but simply put, it improves power and fuel efficiency of the diesel, bringing the power closer to that of a petrol engine, but with fuel efficiency gains.
Why are diesel's turboed? - mgk luton beds
improves fuel??turbo puts say 3 times as much air in then 3 times more fuel must go in????
Why are diesel's turboed? - Mark (RLBS)
>>improves fuel??turbo puts say 3 times as much air in then 3 times more fuel must go in????

He said nothing about quantity of fuel, he mentioned fuel efficiency. 3 times the fuel could be more efficient if it generated 4 times the power.
Why are diesel's turboed? - Mondaywoe
To get reasonable performance out of a non-turboed diesel you either need a large capacity engine or a ridiculously low power to weight ratio (light car) EG my mum has a non-turbo diesel Clio. It has a 1.9 litre engine! OK it goes well enough - because an engine of that size in a small light car like a Clio is bound to shift reasonably well, but anything smaller would be snail-like.

On the other hand, you can put in a smaller capacity diesel with a turbo and still get respectable performance (or even use a large diesel with turbo and get blistering performance!) My C5 eg, has a 2.2 turbo diesel and it has superb acceleration even in a big car like the C5.

Graeme
Why are diesel's turboed? - Ben79
Graeme, the 2.0 litre isn't slow either.
Why are diesel's turboed? - Civic8
Turbo increases performance but fuel economy is poorer probably
different on a small car but medium to large economy drops.
Why are diesel's turboed? - RichardW
It's never as straight forward as it looks....

Diesel engines have a low specific power output (eg kW / litre of displacement) - partly due to their lower max revs. This is why diesel engines typically tended to be larger than petrol counterparts (eg 1.9 diesel is about the same as a 1.4 petrol).

The great thing about diesels is that as they are compression ingnition anyway you can just go on increasing the inlet pressure (which is what turbo charging does) and the fuel input to extract more power out of a given unit. Of course you eventually reach the limit where the engine self destructs. Doing this with petrol engines is more difficult as you run into problems with the compression ratio causing auto-ignition problems (pinking) which damages the engine.

The other good thing about turbocharging a diesel is that the engine's efficiency goes UP as the boost pressure goes up! ie a turbo'd engined making the same power output as a normally aspirated engine will be using LESS fuel (assuming all else is equal). This gets even better if you cool the air coming out of the turbo (inter- or charge- cooling) and is borne out by the PSA HDi engines where the 110 is typically 2 or 3 mpg better on economy in similar applications than the 90 (where the principal difference is the intercooler) - despite the 20% hike in power (good eh - more power for nothing!).

All modern diesels will be turbo charged in order to minimise engine size for a given power output. Although I think you can still buy N/A versions of VAG's TDi unit and PSA's XUD I don't think they will last much longer.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Why are diesel's turboed? - teabelly
If a diesel engine's efficiency goes up when using the turbo does it follow if you choose a lower gear and higher revs for a given road speed you will use less fuel while you are in boost rather than using a higher gear and not having the turbo kicking in? Or does the difference just apply between a turbo and non turbo version of the engine at the same revs and road speed with and without the turbo in boost?
teabelly
Why are diesel's turboed? - NormanB
All of the above AND it improves scavenging - scouring the waste gases out allowing more effective air charge in.
Why are diesel's turboed? - Dizzy {P}
All of the above AND it improves scavenging - scouring the waste gases out allowing more effective air charge in. >>

Which, in turn, improves emission figures. For this reason, all diesel engines are likely to be turbocharged in the near future as emissions regulations become even tighter.
Why are diesel's turboed? - Dr Rubber
But reducing engine size reduces the level of low down torque. I've driven both the 1.9 SDI and 1.4TDI Polo's, and prefer the torque on my 1.9. On the other hand, the 1.4TDI's performance (speed/accelaration) is much better than an NA diesel.
(both have similar PS and peak torque fiqures, but the torque band is narrower IMO)

The other thing I have found is that SDI's are more economical around town, and TDI's better on long runs (for a given engine size).

As for NA versions going, VW has a 2.0SDI, PD? in the new golf, so there must be some life left in them.

Just my 2p's worth
Joe
Why are diesel's turboed? - CM
OK, if turbos add efficiency and cleanliness, why don't manufactures downsize the diesel engine and increase the size of the turbo (or even put on multiple turbos)

On an aside why are diesels turbocharged rather than supercharged?
Why are diesel's turboed? - glowplug
Just increasing the size of the turbo could increase turbo lag to an unacceptable level and put even more strain on the engine. A turbo diesel can be running a static C/R of 18:1 but under boost this will rise significantly which leads to reliability problems such as blown head gaskets, etc. It's only recently we had the joy of turbocharging with low lag brought about by experience, electronic fuel injection and varable geometry turbos. Just look back at the old Saab 99/Porsche turbo reviews to see how off putting turbo lag can be, I know they're not diesel but it illustrates the point.

Steve.
Why are diesel's turboed? - davemar
Having recently driven a new 406 HDi I found the turbo lag in that pretty unacceptable after driving a NA petrol car normally (of similar power). The throttle response was pretty poor and made getting out of a black ice incident far more hairy than I would have liked.

As glowplug says, I think a smaller engine with a bigger turbo would have made the throttle response and lag even worse and made it a really nasty drive. I've driven a couple of NA diesels before (a Transit van and a 106), and while they were both slower than a sloth on valium, at least the throttle response was reasonably good, and a sharp stab on the gas gave a rewarding surge (of pretty small proportions it must be said!).

I've never driven a turbo petrol car I'm sad to say :(
Why are diesel's turboed? - Ben79
Having recently driven a new 406 HDi I found the turbo
lag in that pretty unacceptable after driving a NA petrol car
normally (of similar power). The throttle response was pretty poor

The HDI engines don't have much throttle lag unless the EGR valve is faulty. The HDI is a nice engine even though the design of the 2.0 90 and 110bhp engine is 6 years old.
Why are diesel's turboed? - Dizzy {P}
On an aside why are diesels turbocharged rather than supercharged? >>

Turbochargers use power from the exhaust gases as they pass through the exhaust system, i.e. power which would otherwise just go to waste. Superchargers are mechanically driven from the crankshaft and the power required to drive them has to be paid for in fuel consumption. Superchargers also tend to generate more noise.

Supercharging used to give much better lowdown power than turbocharging but the recent developments already mentioned by Glowplug have vastly reduced the difference.

There are probably some advantages in supercharging two-stroke diesels but we don't have any of these in the automotive field.
Why are diesel's turboed? - keo-the-dog
Hi
I was wondering, as I was looking at diesel engined cars,
why most modern engines are turboed? Why is it that
a 1.4 litre diesel engine (eg ford) is turboed, yet most
petrol's aren't!

it's complicated, easiest thing is drive one non turbo over a few days nice general driving with hills notice the drop in speed on said hills try the same with the turbo much better it goes up the hill without stirring the gears....(keeping it simple...)try it if you get the chance . you will then know why without having to understand the tecky stuff (like me)
Why are diesel's turboed? - PhilW
"a new 406 HDi I found the turbo lag in that pretty unacceptable after driving a NA petrol car normally (of similar power)".
"a couple of NA diesels before (a Transit van and a 106), and while they were both slower than a sloth on valium, at least the throttle response was reasonably good, and a sharp stab on the gas gave a rewarding surge"

Having owned (for many years) NA Bxs, a TD Xantia and now have a 110 and a 90 HDi parked in the drive I have to say that my experiences are exactly the opposite of those quoted above. The NA XUDs, while utterly reliable and economical were sluggish to say the least compared to the HDis. The TD below 1800-2000 behaved exactly as the NA XUD (for that is what it was)then the turbo kicked in and gave a "rewarding surge". The HDis have a "rewarding surge" from tickover (850 -1000 revs) ie in all normal driving conditions - there is no perceptible "turbo lag".
I have never driven an NA 106 but to suggest that an NA Transit (of which I have driven many mini buses, both full and empty) gives a "rewarding surge" more than an HDi does suggest to me that there was something seriously wrong with the 406 HDi that you drove. Indeed, I would go as far as to say that you must have left the handbrake (fully) on! If you want a less responsive diesel try an LDV NA minibus!
Why are diesel's turboed? - Claude
Norman B mentioned scavenging. Its difficult to get good scavenging in a free revving high compression fourstroke which is what modern diesel engines cars are using and without it you cant get a full charge into the cylinder for the next cycle.
Pressurizing the incoming charge air to a small degree overcomes that and improves fuel consumption at a given rpm and increasing the pressure further starts increasing the BHP at that rpm.
Why are diesel's turboed? - mfarrow
Thanks for all the replies.

Never even thought of the compression ratio being a factor in why all petrol engine's aren't turboed!

:-)