Six-Speed Mondeo - GrahamM
I am considering buying a new Mondeo LX TDCi 130PS which of course comes complete with the 6-speed box. From time to time I need to pull a trailer (max loaded weight 20cwt)on mixture of motorways and A-roads, and I'm not quite clear on how the 6-speed would cope with this compared with the old 5-speed box. Is the extra gear a pure overdrive-type thing? How does it affect the other gear ratios and final drive ratio compared with the old box? I would be most grateful for any advice/experience. Many thanks, Graham
Six-Speed Mondeo - roadruner715
they are not good
Six-Speed Mondeo - googolplex
Why not?! First time I've heard any criticism...I drive the 5 speed and, from my own reading of opinions on this and other sites, there's not a great deal to choose between the 5 & 6. But I've not heard anyone condemn the 6 before, so some clarification would be helpful, roadrunner.
Splodgeface
Six-Speed Mondeo - rustbucket
Now that six speed boxes are being used is it just for ecconomy reasons or are the engines less flexible over their power range?

rustbucket (the original)
Six-Speed Mondeo - 3500S
I have to agree, six gears is designed for emissions and economy. With a diesel, I do feel that six gears is a bit of gadget. I'd imagine the gearing would be so narrow that you'd never get the best out of the torque which is the best thing about a diesel. Car engines used to get by on three speed auto and four speed manuals. It never really anything to do with matching the engine to the gearbox but it was always in my opinion, economy led.
Six-Speed Mondeo - 3500S
Also at the money, have you considered a Rover 75 CDT 131Ps? Only 5-speeds but the BMW diesel is superb, quiet, powerful and fairly economical.
Six-Speed Mondeo - Dynamic Dave
they are not good

Roadruner715, care to expand on that comment? Have you got anything to substantiate that claim with?
Six-Speed Mondeo - AdrianM
Had one of these for four weeks and 3000miles - thought it was fantastic and would not hesitate to recommend it. However, can't comment on suitability for pulling a trailer.
Six-Speed Mondeo - Altea Ego
well if the ratios are anything like my 120bhp 6 speed laguna, I can say that the 6th gear is a kind of "motorway" overdrive.

Its not really useable below 60 mph. The normal 5 seem to be geared about normal, provide all the torque required and I would think for towing (where you are not supposed to go above 60 mph anyway) would be perfect. 5th will keep you in a good band at 70 mph too if you wanted to tow a bit quicker. I would guess with similar car weight, and power output the Mondeo will be ok. However - have they fixed the problems with the engine yet?
I think you can tell by the downturn in the volume of posts on this issue that any problems with this engine are history and it?s time that backroomers wised on to this. That is not to deny that they existed, but if you read, for example, Kurnal?s recent posts, a cure has been found for that misfire. Also, just look at the numbers of TDCi?s on the road at the moment. I think we?d have heard a lot more of it if the problem was as widespread as some have tried to believe.

Its good to see HJ recommending this engine in Saturday?s DT ? it truly is a great drive. With respect, I also think its a bit rich to read cautionary tales on reliability of Fords coming from the Renault camp?
Splodgeface
Six-Speed Mondeo - twinexhaust
The 6 speed box on my TDCi 130 estate is fine. Still waiting for the explanation of why they're not good. For information, 6th = 37 mph/1000rpm so it really is an overdrive i.e. 2,000 rpm is 74 mph. Like the Laguna 6 speeder, minimum sensible speed in 6th is around 60 mph (1,600 rpm). 5th is 30 mph/1,000 rpm and 4th is 22 mph/1,000 rpm.

Six-Speed Mondeo - GrahamM
Thanks for the info in this post - it was just what I needed. Do you by any chance have the same info, ie mph/1000rpm for 4th and 5th in the superseded five-speed box, please? Many thanks
Graham
Six-Speed Mondeo - Altea Ego
Back in the ground SF you blighter............ I was mearly asking if the problem had been fixed, and you informed me it had. Thats fine and dandy. In no way was I casting aspertions at the ford, and for your info the laguna is now at 12k, and nothing rattles, fallen off, broken, or missed a beat.

So "your mother was a hamster and your father smells of eldeberries so go ewey u eenglish kerniget before I insult you a second time"
Six-Speed Mondeo - PhilW
"6th = 37 mph/1000rpm so it really is an overdrive i.e. 2,000 rpm is 74 mph, 5th =30 mph/1000"
So 6th really is an "overdrive" - sounds like good idea but that the car would be happy towing at 60 mph in 5th given the torque available, with 6th used mainly when solo.
5th ratio is the same as my wifes Xantia HDi(5 speed box) which is a brilliant towcar and gives very relaxed solo cruising - at 70 with that 6th gear it must be almost on tickover!
thanks for reading my comment in the spirit in which it was intended!
Splodgeface