Computer Related Questions. Volume 3 - Mark (RLBS)

******** Thread now full, see volume 4 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19963

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 3. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

Internet Explorer annoyance :o/ - Jane
When first opening Internet Explorer the 'Search' box always appears on the right hand side of the screen instead of the 'Favorites' box which I always have open.

About 5 minutes after accessing the internet the screen goes blank and then comes up with a search page that I can only get rid of by pressing Alt F4 twice (toolbars etc disappear and right click to get the menu box up doesn't have any effect.) 5/10 minutes later it does the same thing and after doing Alt F4 to close the search page the 'Search' box just has 'search.' in it. After doing it twice it doesn't do it again unless Internet Explorer is closed and then opened again a while later.

Does anyone know why it's doing this....it hasn't always done it but is now getting extremely irritating. Any ideas on how to get rid of it or am I just going to keep having to take deep, calming breaths before hitting Alt F4 again??!

Fill what's empty, empty what's full and scratch where it itches!
Internet Explorer annoyance :o/ - M.M
I was wondering if your PC had been infected with one of these adware/spyware search programs. Thought I'd look at my search window (never use it) and damn me it seems to have been corrupted by a third party search engine.

Got to check this out.

M.M
Internet Explorer annoyance :o/ - M.M
Downloaded the latest AdAware update and ran it. Well well.. one of those pesky little hijack programs had taken over the Search panel.

Deleted and sorted with AdAware now.

M.M
Internet Explorer annoyance :o/ - Godfrey H {P}
Hi Jane,if you haven't fixed your problem, please see my reply to Mal: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19790&...e
Internet Explorer Prob - cont from vol 2 - BobbyG
DD, when I go into add/remove programs, thats the only options I have - there is no \"repair\" option, certainly not that I can see. Sorry, I never mentioned it earlier.
Internet Explorer Prob - cont from vol 2 - Dynamic Dave
Bobby,

The repair option won\'t appear until after you\'ve highlighted \"Microsoft Internet Explorer\" and then clicked on the add/remove button. Once you have done this, you\'ll be presented with 3 options, one of which is the repair option. I cannot remember what the other 2 options are, as I\'m running WinXP which is set up differently.
Internet Explorer Prob - cont from vol 2 - BobbyG
DD, your instructions were bang on and problem now resolved. When I couldn\'t see it on the headers I assumed I didn\'t have that option.

I did say I didn\'t know much about computers, I proved myself right!

Thanks again.
Internet Explorer Prob - cont from vol 2 - Dynamic Dave
Bobby, no problem. Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer in my 1st set of instructions.
Home-site hijacker. - mal
Hi Guys,
I have been a loyal member and occasional poster on this forum for a few years now, in fact longer than the profile states owing to, I think when I changed my computer.
In that time I have had the backroom as my home-site. That is until it was hijacked by a search engine site called "Search Central cc".
How do I get rid of this invader that just keeps on reinstalling itself the next day.
This is my first experience of of anything like this before, I find it unnerving that these sites can invade my privacey like this.
Regards Mal.
Home-site hijacker. - AdrianM
I expect someone with much greater knowledge than me will soon be along to help. I have had similar problems recently and all seem to have been resolved by installing AdAware - find it with a google search. It's free and (on my machine) found loads as stuff that shouldn't have been there. Deleted the lot (though do check cos it will uncover stuff that you may have deliberately downloaded) and Bob's your proverbial.

Also installed a firewall (again a free download - search Outpost Firewall) in an effort to stop it happening again.
Home-site hijacker. - L'escargot
Also installed a firewall (again a free download - search Outpost
Firewall) in an effort to stop it happening again.

I've already got the freebie Windows XP firewall, which I'm told is somewhat less than perfect. Can I have another firewall without uninstalling the one I've got already?
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Home-site hijacker. - maz64
If you bring up the XP help from the Start menu and search for firewall, you\'ll find instructions for enabling and disabling the XP firewall.

As an alternative, I use the free Sygate Personal Firewall, from www.sygate.com which was a doddle to set up and seems to do a good job.

John
Home-site hijacker. - Baskerville
>>Can I have another firewall without
uninstalling the one I\'ve got already?
--

You can\'t uninstall the XP firewall, but you can switch it on and off. It can be running at the same time as another firewall, largely because it doesn\'t do much. Zonealarm is another good free firewall: www.zonelabs.com I\'d advise not running two proper personal firewalls (such as Zonealarm and Sygate) at the same time, or trouble may well become your business.

Incidentally Microsoft will be improving their firewall significantly in XP Service Pack 2, due out in the early summer. SP2 runs to a couple of hundred megabytes though, so those without broadband will have problems. Some argue that, based on their past behaviour, Microsoft is now attempting to destroy and take over the personal firewall market too. Apparently the improves Internet Explorer will have tabbed browsing and other features, to bring it nearer to the level of Mozilla www.mozilla.org

Home-site hijacker. - Godfrey H {P}
Hi Mal your browser has been hijacked if you haven\'t fixed it already please go to this URL and download Spybot Search & destroy:
www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=spybotsd

Install it, and before you run it update the database.

Also go to this URL and get AdAware:
www.lavasoft.de/support/download/#free

Again install it, update it and run it.

You need to get a better firewall as previously discussed, and run Windows Update to fix the security holes which allow hijacks to happen.

Feel free to get back to me by email if you are still having problems.
regards
Godfrey H
Thanks all,
Have installed and run both "spybot" and "AdAware" so hopefully I have seen the last of it.
Not sure if I already have a "firewall", how would I know?.
Sorry but I do not know much about computers, but have learnt some things just by following the on-screen instructions.
Regards and thanks Mal.
Home-site hijacker. - Welliesorter
Not sure if I already have a "firewall", how would I
know?.

If you haven't installed one, and no-one else has done it for you, you probably haven't. Try ZoneAlarm from www.zonelabs.com . The free version is adequate for most users. Once installed, each time a program wants to connect to the internet, you have to give it permission to do so. The idea is you'll notice if something dodgy is trying to connect. You can get it to remember your decisions so that you don't have to give your web browser permission every time you use it.

It'll also block incoming intrusions. You will be horrified at the number of these but, fortunately, you can leave the program to work in the background without notifying you of everything it's doing.
Have installed Zone Alarm and it appears to be busy every time I connect to the internet and informing me when something has been blocked.
I have lost the hijacker that had invaded my home site, but on connecting this time I see it has now been replaced by another ****** search site!.
Help please,
Regards Mal.
Home-site hijacker. - Godfrey H {P}
Mal you may have been hijacked by the CoolWebSearch trojan. Go to this URL www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
and download CWShredder and run it.
Cheers Godfery,
Downloaded and run through the system during which time infection was seen to be removed.
Hopefully that will now cure it.

Thanks Mal.
Mouse Scroll Wheel - none
Following advice given in the intrusion thread I\'ve installed the Mozilla browser.
Very good apart from one annoying drawback - my scroll wheel won\'t work when I\'m using Mozilla.
I\'ve tried re-installing the mouse software, but get all sorts of missing file messages etc. The wheel still works Ok when not using Mozilla (Freeserve) so I think the driver must be installed and working.
I\'d like to keep using Mozilla, but I can\'t live without the scroll wheel. Any non tech tips would be appreciated. (ie. press button A or button B).
Mouse Scroll Wheel - puntoo
Mozilla may not support it, OPERA didn\'t (well version 6.5 didn\'t), but the latest version of OPERA (7.3) does.

Personally I like opera more than Mozilla.

www.opera.com/download/
Mouse Scroll Wheel - Welliesorter
Mozilla may not support it..

It certainly does. I'm afraid I don't know why it doesn't work for you but if you go into Edit Preferences in Mozilla and then expand the Advanced section, you'll find that mouse wheel settings are third from the bottom. I've never had to alter these because I've always found that the mouse wheel just works.

I can't find the equivalent in Mozilla Firebird but, again, I've never needed to.

Opera has its advantages but it costs money unless you're prepared to live with adverts on the toolbar.
Welliesorter. Followed your advice, tried every possible combination of options, restarts etc. Still no scroll wheel. As you can guess, I'm no computer expert but I do like the extra facilities of the Gozilla browser. I've tried the free Opera browser and found it a bit to 'American' with no real advantage over my existing Freeserve / Explorer setup - Gozilla seems to be better than either of them. Must have the scroll wheel though.
Does the wheel work in other programs? My mouse wheel has always worked in any program I've used, including all versions of Mozilla.

What make/model of mouse is it? Perhaps it needs new drivers.

Mouse Scroll Wheel - Baskerville
I've never seen this problem either and I've been using various Mozillas over the last year or so on several very different set-ups, all with scroll-wheels. However a quick search revealed the following issue with Mozilla 1.0.2 and scroll-wheel mice:

"Windows: Mousewheel scrolling does not work with all drivers. If you have problems, try updating your driver or disabling any "helper" programs that your mouse uses. If you have a Logitech mouse, you can either upgrade the driver (to at least v9.60) or enable the "Microsoft Office compatible scrolling" option in the Mouse/Buttons control panel."

Rather than just reinstalling your existing drivers it might be worth getting updated ones from the website of your mouse manufacturer. As technology develops drivers do go out of date. If it works, please do contact Mozilla with the bug and the fix.

Cheers
The mouse is called Chic (don't know who makes it). It's an optical mouse bought from Maplins about a year ago. Works perfectly and it still scrolls when I'm on the web if I don't use Gozilla.
Incidentally, my internet settings changed to "never dial a connection" I discovered this when trying to log on tonight.
I keep typing Gozilla. I Mean Mozilla.
Go!Zilla is the name of a download manager program. It was popular a few years ago until it was revealed as a source of spyware.
Mouse Scroll Wheel - Baskerville
The mouse is called Chic (don't know who makes
it). It's an optical mouse bought from Maplins about a year
ago. Works perfectly and it still scrolls when I'm on the
web if I don't use Gozilla.
Incidentally, my internet settings changed to "never dial a connection"
I discovered this when trying to log on tonight.

You might be able to find out the maker of the mouse by googling for it, or by looking in the hardware list in Windows--I'm guessing it's a legacy hardware design from a major manufacturer in different packaging, a bit like Daewoo using the old Vauxhall Astra design. I recently bought a cheap no-name ethernet card from Maplins that turned out to be a Linksys model from five or more years ago--works fine by the way. I'm still surprised the mouse doesn't work though.

I suspect Mozilla changed your connection settings because it's thought to be more secure that way. If the browser automatically connects to the Internet when opened, then a simple hostile script can log on without you knowing about it. Easy enough to switch back. Open Source software often comes with maximum security as default. The user then decides how secure/insecure he/she wants to be and it's a conscious decision. A certain major software company works the other way around.
Many thanks to all. I'll persevere, try for new drivers etc.
Hi, me again. I downloaded the latest driver from Chic (a Taiwanese manufacturer apparently) and with another visit to the Mozilla mouse preferences section, the problem is sorted.
Again, many thanks to all.
WIndows 2000 won't talk to me! - Mike H
This is driving me mad. At home, I have a laptop running Windows 2000. I also have two other machines running XP which are connected together via a 4 port switch/ADSL modem router. They talk to each other fine, share the printer, network connection etc. When I plug the laptop into the switch....nothing. I am using the right RJ45 cable (crossover). The laptop seems to know it is connected to the network despite the fact that no traffic will pass (shows the two screens icon in the task bar). Likewise, the XP machines recognise that the laptop is connected to the network, but no traffic will pass - I can see the name of the computer on My Network Places, but when I try & double click to access it, I get a message saying it's not connected. I can't ping in either direction - although interestingly, the hard drive on the laptop "chatters" on the XP machine when I try to ping it, and vice versa.....I think it's some sort of security problem, as I am pretty conversant with all the IP & network settings. I should point out that the laptop used to be part of another network, and was professionally administered. I'm just an enthusiastic amateur - although for my sins I am responsible for our IT in the office.

A few months ago I reloaded Windows 2000 onto a desktop at work, connected it to our existing (very small) network via a switch...and it worked first time.

Then last Tuesday, I was asked to get a laptop talking to a desktop in our other office. The desktop is stand-alone with a network card, similarly laptop, but when I connected them....nothing! Desktop runs Windows 2000, laptop runs Windows ME. Same symptoms as the problem outline above.

I'm stumped on this one. Anyone got any ideas?
Window sizes - daveyjp
Home PC running W98. When I shift and click to open a new window from a link on website the new window is as small as it will go, it used to be as large as it would go. How do I change it back so a new window covers the old window without having to maximise the new window by right clicking?
Window sizes - Mark (RLBS)
You have your original window maximised. Drop it down to its "un-maxmimised" window size and you will find that it is probably set as small as the new windows you keep opening.

Set it to the size you want, but not the "maximized" size, by clicking and dragging the sides/top. You need to do this with only the window which is open when you first start IE. Exit from IE, go back in and then you should find its fine.

There must be a quicker way than above, but at least it does work.
Window sizes - daveyjp
Thanks Mark I\'ll give it a go later.
Window sizes - daveyjp
Did what you said, but it didn't work, manually resizing the second open window did! Thanks for the pointer.
Window sizes - Dynamic Dave
Whenever you close an IE window it will remember the size of that window and when you open another window it will open again in that same size. Mark's suggestion of stretching the window to it's maximum size, then closing should work - providing the size you want to save is the last browser window that you close.

ps, remember when posting a NEW question, Reply to the first message in this thread, i.e. the topmost one? This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. I have moved this one to the correct place, but it is not easy to do, and there is a risk of losing it altogther during an edit/move proceedure.
Where can I find the WIN.INI file? - CM
Further to the excellent advice that I got in order to get rid of a trojan I downloaded a couple of programmes to sort out the problem. I then deleted one but am having a small problem as a result.

When I turn on the machine it appears that the programme is still in the start up menu although I have deleted the rest of it. It says to go to the WIN.INI file and delete the SVCINIT.EXE (I think that\'s it off the top of my head).

Where can I find the WIN.INI file?
Where can I find the WIN.INI file? - John R @ Work {P}
WIN.INI is usually found in your WINDOWS or WINNT folder (Directory). Use Find or Search from your Start Menu to find it or if you are OK with Windows Explorer, use that to navigate to it. The .INI extention may be hidden is you have default
MS-Windows View settings.

Although an INI file can be edited using Notepad I suggest that you should be VERY CAREFULL and work with a copy of the WIN.INI file.

Please note that programs should be Uninstalled and not just have their folders deleted. It may be benificial to reinstall the program and then uninstall it as this should remove INI and Registry entries.
John R
Where can I find the WIN.INI file? - Godfrey H {P}
You will find win.ini in your /windows directory. Use the windows file search utility to get hold of it. I\'ll be surprised if that is all you have to do to remove this worm. I\'ll look up my sources. Meanwhile don\'t type any confidential information into your PC e.g. credit card number.
I tried the search etc but think that your advice might be best to try and reload and then delete.
Ok, this is one of the CoolWebSearch trojans that won\'t go away easily, go to www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
and download and execute CWShredder. Good luck!
Forgot to say you need to run windows update to get the critical security patches or you can get CWS again.
I think that I might have partially sorted it out but further help might be needed!!

I went to START and chose RUN and ran and then went to STARTUP and disabled the appropriate bit referring to SVCINIT.EXE

However I have followed the adress and it is not where it says it is (presumably because I have already deleted it). How can I delete this from the startup list?
Sorry - meant to say that I ran the MSCONFIG to get the startup file
There is probably an entry in the registry, but registry editing is not a job for the inexperienced. Did you run CWShreddeer?
Where can I find the WIN.INI file? - Civic8
Right click on program select delete.in start/programs
Mozilla Firebird - the New Snickers, Cif - Welliesorter
Quite a few people here have recommended the Mozilla browsers as a means of rescuing questioners from their Internet Explorer woes.

One recommendation has been to install the Mozilla Firebird browser. This has the advantage of being faster than the full version of Mozilla as it doesn't include such extras as the e-mail program and web page editor.

Just to confuse everyone, it's now been renamed to Mozilla Firefox. I haven't managed to download the new version yet but if it's anything like its predecessor it's more than acceptable for use as an everyday browser, even though it's still version 0.8. Unlike the generally excellent Opera, it's 100 per cent free.

See www.mozilla.org/products/firefox for more information.
Mozilla Firebird - the New Snickers, Cif - malteser
Yup - I installed Firefox this am, after removing (I thought) all traces of Firebird, Despite using regcleanerto clear all "Mozilla" references it left behind and then Firefox re-installed the browser extensions I had with Firebird! Very useful,that!
It didn't install my existing bookmarks though, so a quick copy & paste from I.E. "favorites" into Mozilla Firefox folder and an "import" from "manage bookmarks" sorted that OK.
Roger.
The whole world is downloading Firefox! The Mozilla site is very busy at present, as I found when I tried to download some more extensions - "call back later" it said.
Roger.
The whole world is downloading Firefox! The Mozilla site is very
busy at present, as I found when I tried to download
some more extensions - "call back later" it said.

I haven't been able to download the extensions yet (the Flash blocker is possibly the most useful) but managed to get the browser itself from tinyurl.com/34rjv . Windows users will need to download the file called FirefoxSetup-0.8.exe.

There are links to this and other Mozilla mirror sites at www.mozilla.org/mirrors.html but everything on the main Mozilla site is very busy at the moment.

Mozilla Firebird - the New Snickers, Cif - frostbite
Have they implemented alpha-sort for the IE imported favourites please?

The lack of this facility put me off Firebird.
Have they implemented alpha-sort for the IE imported favourites please?
The lack of this facility put me off Firebird.

I've experimented with importing but I can't get mine not to be in alphabetical order! The bookmarks manager in Firefox gives the ability to sort in a variety of ways but this may just be within the bookmarks manager itself as it seems to make no difference to the order of the bookmarks in the sidebar.

Not a terribly helpful answer I know, but maybe all will be revealed in the changelog once the Mozilla web site becomes useable again. Improved bookmark handling is mentioned as a feature in the article at www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/35422.html , which is where I learned that the new release is available.
Mozilla Firebird - the New Snickers, Cif - frostbite
Well, I downloaded Firefox and when I first ran it the same ghastly jumble appeared under imported IE favourites. Then I discovered an optional (!) addon from the site and it's fixed it.

Now all I have to do is find out how to uninstall Firebird - it doesn't come with an uninstaller and my special program remover software didn't notice it being installed!
Now all I have to do is find out how to
uninstall Firebird - it doesn't come with an uninstaller and my
special program remover software didn't notice it being installed!

How did you install it? The usual way was just to unzip the downloaded files to C:\Program Files\ and create your own shortcuts. If this is how you did it, it's just a matter of deleting the Firebird directory and the shortcuts that point to the program.

Only thing is - I seem to have lost the scroll bars in Foxfire!
Any ideas - there do not seem to be any options to ennable/disable these.
Roger.
Only thing is - I seem to have lost the scroll
bars in Foxfire!

I found this too immediately after installing it. Changing theme (I still had some from my old Firebird installation) and restarting the program seemed to cure it.
Wellisorter - that worked for me too!
Roger.
Monitor problem - Belinea. - John24
Hi all, hope I got this question in the right place!
My computer system is about 5 years old and I am now having problems with the monitor. Every so often the screen takes on a pink tint and after a few minutes switches back to normal. I've tried degaussing etc. to no avail. Is the monitor on the way out?
Monitor problem - Belinea. - Kuang
Unfortunately, yup.

Belinea monitors often do this.. either that or they blow their power stage (as mine did). It's usually a consequence of one of the other two guns working badly, making the red seem more prominent.

Novatech.co.uk do a very nice AOC 17" monitor for about a ton, which actually has a genuine Sony Trinitron tube in it - very nice, clear image and capable of high refresh rates to avoid headaches.

(I know I keep trumpeting Novatech, but I'm honestly not working for them... :)
Lost sound? - Rebecca {P}
Does anyone have any ideas to troubleshoot this problem?

PC at home, running Windows 2000. Speakers work fine when playing audio CDs. Kids use CD-Rom software regularly, but recently we can't get any sound. Also when trying to use BBCi website at the weekend, couldn't get any sound. Didn't think to try any other sites *blush* but can anyone offer any tips on what to do?

Muchas gracias amigos,

Rebecca
Lost sound? - Mark (RLBS)
I presume you've opened up the volume controls and checked that nothing is either muted or had the volume turned right down ?

(right click on speaker in bottom right hand corner of tool bar and "open volume controls")
Lost sound? - Rebecca {P}
presume nothing!

I will check tonight...

Thanks Mark
Doomjuice A - New virus in the wild - malteser
Panda anti virus bulletin just released and noted on my daily autoupdate,states this new variant is spreading rapidly.
If your anti virus does not support daily (or more!) auto updates you should manually update your protection now, after checking that your A.V.provider has released a fix for it.
There have been times recently when I have had up to three updates in one day from Panda!
Roger.
Quote from Panda's site follows

02/09/2004. - It seems to have been created by the same author as the Mydoom family
"- It is designed to spread like a network worm, which makes it extremely dangerous, as it cannot be detected or viewed by the user via e-mail, like other viruses can
While the infections caused by Mydoom.A are just starting to cool off, a new worm has appeared that exploits the damage caused by this worm: Doomjuice.A. Evidence suggests that the Mydoom attack is not going to end on February 12, the date on which it seemed that the worm would stop spreading. It is supposed that the same author has launched this new malicious code that cannot even be detected in e-mail, as it exploits the ports opened by Mydoom.A and Mydoom.B. This new virus behaves in a similar way to SQLSlammer, i.e., it is a network worm that exploits an open port in the same way as SQLSlammer exploited a server vulnerability.
The actions carried out by Doomjuice.A on the computers it infects include the following:
- In order to ensure that it is run, it creates the following entry in the Windows Registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "Gremlin" intrenat.exe
- It generates a copy of itself in %system% called intrenat.exe (36,864 bytes). - It creates a file called sync-src-1.00.tbz (28,569) in %Windows%, in %Temp%, in %System% and in the C: drive. This file is compressed and contains the source code of Mydoom.A.
- It launches a Denial of Service (DoS) attack against www.microsoft.com. Evidence suggests that Doomjuice.A was created by the same author as Mydoom.A. Panda Software?s experts are currently studying this malicious code. As PandaLabs gathers more information, it will be published on the company?s website (www.pandasoftware.com/).
Due to the appearance of Doomjuice.A, Panda Software advises users to take extra precautions, and to update their antivirus solutions immediately. The company has already made the updates to its products available to its clients to ensure their solutions can detect and eliminate Doomjuice.A. Those whose software is not configured to update automatically, should update their solutions from www.pandasoftware.com/. Users can also detect this and other malicious code using the free, online antivirus, Panda ActiveScan, which is available on the company?s website at www.pandasoftware.com."
P.S. There is an I.E. security update available today, but knowing Microsoft's usual relaxed attitude I doubt that it fixes this particular vulnerability Roger.

Looking at this "techie" bit it seems that the vulnerabilty lies largely in port exploiting.
Even MORE reason to install a "proper" firewall.
The only two programs I have paid for (oops don't mention filesharing!) are Zone Alarm Pro & Panda Antivirus Titanium 2004. Security is too important to be left to chance!
Roger.
Doomjuice A - & mydoom - Mark (RLBS)
mydoom seems to be using xxxx_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk

If you're not protected, treat e-mails from those addresses with care. I shall be using something in the title of any e-mails I send along the lines of "not a virus" or somesuch.

No doubt ND & DD will do something similar.

Do make sure your virus scanners are uptodate. I use two and they both update at the beginning and end of every day. Its the only way to get close to safe.

Mark.

p.s. they are not coming from me, so someone has got mydoom and doesn't know it.

p.p.s. a good clue is if your little blue lights on the connection icon in the bottom righthand corner are flashing indicating traffic when you didn't think you were doing anything.
Advice please - JAJ
I have a formal living room in my house which doesn't have a tv socket but I would like to have a TV in there and also access to the Internet. I also have 3 other pcs in the house connected by a wireless LAN and broadband enabled router. I have been looking at one of the new Sony pcs which can be put in another room and have a roomlink feature which effectively broadcasts to a receiver which I could connect to the tv. I would then (in theory) be able to use the TV in this living room via the Sony pc to watch tv, dvd's and also just use the pc.

Has anybody used one of these devices. Can't see anything similar for sale from anybody else but am worried about transmission distances, usability, etc. Anybody know of an alternative solution (apart from fit a tv socket which doesn't satisfy what I'm looking for) ?

Note - I know that this might sound like a crazy OTT solution, but the room has just been decorated at a not inconsiderable cost, I am buying a new PC anyway and finally I like my toys.
Advice please - Mark (RLBS)
I use my wLAN for broadcasting internet transmissions (chilean television programmes) around the house.

It works very well, and at the extremities of the house where the signal was a problem I used very cheap booster/repeaters.

However, I would have thought you might have been better off relying on the wLAN for the PC and using a product such as Philips' wireless TV link for the television.

A [sloooow] description of that product is at the following URL

www.p4c.philips.com/mprdata/020703/0207030009_dfu....f
Playing new Music Cds - BobbyG
I have spent a substantial time copying all my cds onto my hard drive so that I can listen to random music whilst working and also make mp3 compilations.

I bought the new Dido album and it has some software built in which means it uses its only player and you can't copy to hard drive.

As with all new technology, I am sure there must be a way round this. Anyone heard of any?
Playing new Music Cds - Mystic
Playing new Music Cds - maz64
Playing new Music Cds - Dynamic Dave
I've removed replies to this question. Please see here for details to as why:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=60...2

--
Dynamic Dave
Back Room Moderator.
DAT tape/drive - Brill {P}
I've been sent a DAT tape from which I need to copy a scan. The file is from an old job, and the tape is someone's archive. I thought I'd be able to copy from the tape as I have a DAT drive for my own Mac backups. However the tape I've been sent is a different (smaller) format. It looks quite old, the cartridge is a bit smaller than an audio tape. The description is "4mm".

Does anyone have one of these older drives, and would be willing to copy the file off for me if I post it?

Apparently the backup was on a Mac, using Retrospect 5.0238. (May not worlk on a PC?).

Thanks,
Stu.

(email is in my profile)
DAT tape/drive - Stargazer {P}
Stu,
Yes it is a DAT tape..I have a pile sitting in front of me as I write. They may also have the letters DDS (digital data storage) on the side. DAT tapes are still used. I havent used them with Macs before but I can confirm that 4mm DAT drives are still available. I have various types here at work...which type do you have, DDS-2,3 or 4 (different tape lengths and capacities) not all intercompatible.

I have access to these drives through various Unix (Linux+alpha) systems but no PCs or Macs. Not sure if I would be able to read a Mac tape so sorry I cant help.

cheers

Ian
DAT tape/drive - smokie
Usually a DAT 4 drive will read everything below, but DAT 2 will not read DAT 3 or 4, and so on. It's to do with hardware compression, amongst other things.

If the tape doesn't tell you what type it is 1) it's probably "DAT1" (as 2, 3, 4 didn;t exist then!). It might quote the length. IIRC usually 60m is DAT1, 90 DAT2, 120 DAT3 and 125 DAT4, although as above, DAT1 tapes can be written in a DAT4 drive but do not benefit from the hardware compression.

I have a DDS4 drive on Windows XP. There must be a utility of some sort to drag MAC format tapes onto a PC, if you can find one and think I can help - email me (addy in profile). Only problem is, my drive often will only read the first 3/4 of a tape, so if the tape is full then I might fail...

I know nothing about this, but DAT tape is also used as a recording media for music on PCs. If your stuff is in some special format, it can only make the job harder...
DAT tape/drive - Brill {P}
Thanks, I've posted the tape to a backroomer. Fingers crossed.

Stu.
Where to buy new pc & hardware - THe Growler
Daughter needs a new desktop and associated hardware. I want to buy it over the Web in UK with a credit card and have it shipped to her address there. Any suggestions for discount houses/advantageous prices?

Thanks in advance.
Where to buy new pc & hardware - Phil I
May encounter some problems with this idea G. Big ticket items bought in UK with credit cards often stipulate delivery only to address of cardholder (is a defence against fraudulent use of card).

My son has had good service from Dell over the past few years.

Prices v. competitive. Quality OK. Support variable.

HtH
B. Rgds Phil I
Where to buy new pc & hardware - Altea Ego
I would go with Dell. Not rock bottom prices or bleeding edge technology, but good enough on both. Quality is good enough and yes you will hear Dell horror stories, but not as many as others.
Where to buy new pc & hardware - Altea Ego
Oh and when you are buying things from Dell in the UK you speak to nice Irish girls not Dehli. Phone the Dell order line in the UK and explain your situation re delivery and invoiuce being different, and they will get round the problem.
That's odd. When my mate in the US calls Dell he gets a call center here in the Philippines...oh yes they're given a US newspaper every day and groomed to sound like they're American, which most Flips do anyway. Well I will put them on my short list, she needs good kit as she is dealing with graphic design and making a small business on the side.

Any more options?

Where to buy new pc & hardware - Baskerville
>>she is
dealing with graphic design and making a small business on the
side.

Sounds like a Mac to me--all her mates in design/media will have them. Will run MSOffice (expensive) or OpenOffice.org (free and compatible). A Powerbook will allow her to hook up to wireless networks in University libraries and so on--I recall you mentioning her doing a course in design.
Hadn't thought of a Mac I must admit, they always seemed a bit odd and weird looking so I steered clear. What Alexandra wants to do is set up her own website from which she hopes to sell her designs and artwork (at this point my understanding fails me LOL) but as a sideline.

I will research those too now. Thank you.
Where to buy new pc & hardware - Mark (RLBS)
Growler,

I'd strongly recommend Dell. Their machines are good and pretty well priced at the moment. In addition, their customer support is more than adequate and buying it remotely won't give you an issue.

I would have thought that the cheaper offers are much more likely to give issue, which I can't imagine that you want to try and deal with from so far away.
Where to buy new pc & hardware - Pezzer
Growler, I have had a PC from Novatech for some years now along with several of my colleagues, if you arent bothered about the Brand then I have found them excellent. (I work for a major IT company and still find their prices good. Although for additional components Dabs.com is worth a visit.)

www.novatech.co.uk/NOVATECH/Home.html
Where to buy new pc & hardware - John R @ Work {P}
Mr. Growler,

I'm not sure where you daughter is (in the world), but buying from a reputable local supplier may not be cheepest but may pay dividends in the longer run.

If there are problems, the ability to visit the supplier and bang their desks (if necessary) is better than a long winded, long distance attempt to get something put right.

Local voltage may be an issue and often overseas suppliers do not provide backup or warrenty. Oh yes, there are the costs of shipping, insurance etc. to be considered.

Shop Local, you know it makes sense...
John R
Yes, thanks. I'm in the Far East, she's in UK. My plan was to order in UK and pay by GBP debit card on my UK bank from here and have the kit delivered to her flat, including I would assume, some sort of support contract and broadband hookup as part of the package. I certainly agree that computers are now so relatively cheap so that there wouldn't be much sense in shipping internationally.

Well it looks like Dell is front runner! I visited their website, they are certainly quite pricey compared with where I live but I take your points.
Where to buy new pc & hardware - Brill {P}
Growler,

The only other thing to consider (if she's working in design) that the design software she wants is available for PC. Now I know many are cross platform, but my studio is completely kitted out with Macs, and I don't know any professional graphic designers using PCs.

I also think Macs handle colours better (?). As far as I know installing software (for the less computer literate) is easier/friendlier. However it may come down to what her peers are using, as there will be a mutual support issue. She needs to check with her tutors. I'd be interested to hear what you decide.

Stu.
Where to buy new pc & hardware - Civic8
I recommend this firm www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/Home.html I know several that have bought from them and not had a problem.They test the pc`s before you buy.and you can make your own pc using the blueprint service.Good prices to match.
Where to buy new pc & hardware - smokie
I buy components at www.cclcomputers.com. Never had a problem. They will build custom system for you, just tell them what you want in it.

The "credit card must equal delivery address" has been relaxed a little, but still may present you a problem.
Problem with Macromedia\'s Flash Player - Bill Black
I have a really irritating problem with Macromedia\'s Flash Player; more and more sites rely on you having some sort of media player installed, which I have. What I seem to get is a mixture; sometimes I get the image outlines with a little red cross in the corner. Sometimes I get the outline with a little multicoloured ikon in the same corner. Somtimes I get the image OK. I have an account on my machine with absolute minimum security where all cookies are allowed and all filters, pop-up stoppers and firewalls etc. are neutralized just to see if it helps. It doesn\'t. Autosport mag\'s \'First View\' for instance, just stops. My OS is XP Home with IE6, Opera, Crazy Browser, Mozilla and Avanti installed and running with the same results on each.
Is there something I\'m missing here?
Thanks for any help and now I\'m off back to my High Security account now before I get virussed.
Cheers,
Bill