bring back hanging for.. - tobyn
1. middle lane motorway hoggers
2. fog lamps on with no fog around
3. keep foot on brake pedal and blind driver behind when at lights person.

thank you.
bring back hanging for.. - John R @ Work {P}
Well, thats 84.2% of drivers dealt with with.

(Won't happen as there's no income stream from pendulating miscreants...)

...the papers this morning covered the first sensible thing said by the TopCop of Wales (you know, the one with a virulent hatred of rapid motorised movement), he suggested legalising drugs.
His head was promptly bitten off (metophorically speaking).

John R
bring back hanging for.. - tobyn
"Won't happen as there's no income stream from pendulating miscreants..."

how about a rope tax...?
bring back hanging for.. - Dynamic Dave
3. keep foot on brake pedal and blind driver behind when
at lights person.

If the person behind is blind, then leaving the brake lights on shouldn't make any difference ;o)
bring back hanging for.. - Mark (RLBS)
>>keep foot on brake pedal and blind driver behind when at lights person.

What a pile of nonsense. I've been back here almost 2 years now and I've yet to be bothered by brake lights, rear fog lights etc. etc.

People used to tell me I didn't understand that in England on dark nights in the rain it was unpleasant. Stuff and nonsense. I notice them, but they don't bother me nor have my retinas yet been seared.

I don't care if someone uses their fog lights or not. I don't care whether or not there is fog - I've yet to be dazzled dangerously by them - again, I notice them but so what ? I'd rather see 10 million using them without cause then not see one who was not using them when they should have been.

And as for middle-lane hoggers, go around them or sit it out. Its not going to make mroe than 2 minutes difference to your journey anyway.

Its just a fashionable fad to whine about such things.

And now we'll get loads of people pointing out that their retinas have been irrevesibly damaged and their emotions shot to pieces having to deal with the stress and worry of foglights and brake lights..
bring back hanging for.. - Aprilia
>>keep foot on brake pedal and blind driver behind when at
lights person.
What a pile of nonsense. I've been back here almost 2
years now and I've yet to be bothered by brake lights,
rear fog lights etc. etc.
People used to tell me I didn't understand that in England
on dark nights in the rain it was unpleasant. Stuff and
nonsense. I notice them, but they don't bother me nor have
my retinas yet been seared.

If you don't find queuing behind a car with rear fog lights ablaze then I think your retinas must have already been damaged. I spent part of one evening last week (when we had the snowfall) sitting behind a guy with rear fog lights on and his foot pinned to the brake pedal - it really was very uncomfortable.
bring back hanging for.. - runboy
Don't know if it's new legislation, or advancing technology, but rear brake lights are becoming brighter. It is like having a torch shone in your eyes. If I come across this type of driver in front I leave a large gap between me and the car in front, hoping they other driver may twig why I am stopping so far back.

What I think is the crux of the matter is that you don't have to sit with your foot on the brake for 5 minutes. I think it is also a question in the theory test these days (why wouldn't you sit with your footbrake applied in traffic?).

It's not about having your eyes scorched from your head, it's about a bit of common courtesey and not arriving home with a headache after your journey home from work.
bring back hanging for.. - Malcolm_L
As regards rear fog lamps a proportion of the blame lies with manufacturers, Ford in particular used to have fog lights which were actuated by a separate switch which showed an extremely faint amber light when they were on.

Most manufacturers have now seen the light and fog lights can only be actuated with dipped beams and are automatically switched off when the lights are switched off.

(Unlike the Lexus LS400 with full beam and fogs on - couldn't win either way, blinded behind and dazzled in front!)

As regards middle laners - I know it's wrong but if I'm in the inside lane, I'm not going to move across two lanes and back to get past if it's safe to continue in the inside lane.
Middle lane hogs only need reply.
bring back hanging for.. - J Bonington Jagworth
"..nor have my retinas yet been seared"

Quite agree. And if they are that sensitive, how do they cope with oncoming headlights..?
bring back hanging for.. - Garethj
Due to better lens and reflector design, tail lights are brighter than they used to be.

Sitting in traffic behind a 1960s car last week I didn't even realise his brakes were on until the lights went REALLY dim when we started moving!

Gareth
bring back hanging for.. - CM
>>keep foot on brake pedal and blind driver behind when at
lights person.

>

I will say that brake lights don't bother me until the thread apeared about MB & BM drivers (I am one of the latter). The new LED lights (which I don't have) are a lot brighter than normal bulbs and it may be a case of the moth being drawn to the candle .....

bring back hanging for.. - Kuang
The new LED lights (which I don't have) are a lot brighter than normal bulbs..

I was stuck behind one of those new Pug convertibles a few days back which appeared to have LED brakelights. We stopped at a series of five traffic lights along the way, with the driver holding the brake pedal at each. I found myself looking out of the side windows and squinting forward to check the lights because it really was too uncomfortable to look straight on. It gets even worse when the cars have a high intensity rear window/spoiler brake light too..
bring back hanging for.. - henry k
I don't care if someone uses their fog lights or not.
I don't care whether or not there is fog - I've
yet to be dazzled dangerously by them - again, I notice
them but so what ? I'd rather see 10 million using
them without cause then not see one who was not using
them when they should have been.

In the perfect world rear fog light(s) should not be a problem.
In fact, when used in clear conditions they are an early warning of a bod who is not paying proper attention.
In non foggy situations, I do find rear fogs are a problem on older cars without a centre stop light. Where the fogs are in the normal light clusters the brake lights are much more difficult to see.
So I do care if someone is using their fog lights in these situations as it is potentially affecting my reaction time.

bring back hanging for.. - Andrew-T
The Triumph 1300 (~1969) used to have a relay which dimmed the rear lamps when the heads were on. So the brake lamps were bright during daylight but dimmer after dark - though the darkness compensated for the lower intensity. Considering all the advances in tech since then, why not now?
bring back hanging for.. - SteveH42

In the main brake lights don't bother me, but as others have pointed out, the odd car seems to have very bright ones that leave spots before your eyes.

Might be a daft point, but don't you usually run around in something big and bulky? The height of the driving position may be a factor in how much this affects you.

bring back hanging for.. - Mark (RLBS)
fair point.
bring back hanging for.. - greenmondeoman
Here is another one

Not putting on headlights during rain or low light conditions, or just putting on sidelights ("I can see well enough"). The lights are for you to be seen!
I find I don't stare directly at on coming headlights. If I stare out of the side window to avoid the car in front brake lights, I'm likely to miss the traffic moving away.
bring back hanging for.. - OldPeculiar
I hope you don't feel you need to stare out the side window to avoid be dazzled by cars in front that are actually braking! ;)
I hope you don't feel you need to stare out the
side window to avoid be dazzled by cars in front that
are actually braking! ;)

Ahhhhh, I did wonder why there was a big piece of glass at the front of the vehicle. I thought that was the sunroof!!! :-)
bring back hanging for.. - cryhavock
How about the *%$! strange people who think they can drive down dual carriageways and motorways on full beam headlights? Do they actually think they can't be seen on the other carriageway?

Far worse than brake lights, IMHO.
bring back hanging for.. - footy_72
first ting i do wen i get in me saxo vtr is turn my baseball cap round, then switch on dem front fog lites. i dun leave the back one on because that is stoopid.

and if i din leave me foot on de break, den no bruvvas wood see me, as my normal break bulbs is bofe broke.

hate dem middle lane bruvvas tho. me never gonna get me a beemer.

bring back hanging for.. - drbe
Anyway.........

4. Drivers using hand-held mobile phones.
5. Drivers parking in disabled bays.

Otherwise I agree with everyone!

Don drbe
bring back hanging for.. - Woody
1. middle lane motorway hoggers
2. fog lamps on with no fog around
3. keep foot on brake pedal and blind driver behind when at lights person.

Agree 100%.

1. Tend to be grey haired and unblinkingly staring ahead. Haven't used a mirror for 30 years.

2. Yoof in Saxo/Beemer/Nova with baseball cap and zits.

3. Volvo Estate.
bring back hanging for.. - Bromptonaut
How about the *%$! strange people who think they can drive
down dual carriageways and motorways on full beam headlights?

My nomination is:-

Drivers who, encountering a main beam miscreant, turn their own lights up to stun. Quick reminder flash OK, but permadazzle just upsets everyone behind the offender as well.
bring back hanging for.. - AdrianM
My contribution....

- trying to join mways at 45mph/pulling into faster moving traffic without making any attempt to match speed.

- aggressive tailgating in queues of traffic (probably the MEN(!) who can\'t see further than the car in front).

- misaligned (& missing) headlights (IMO far more dazzling/distracting than fogs - front & rear fogs annoy me for no good reason other than they are completely unnecessary; also I\'m another one who doesn\'t really get the brakelight thing.
bring back hanging for.. - Altea Ego
People who pull up at the traffic lights, in the right hand lane that can go ahead or turn right, and then put on right turn indicator when the lights turn green.
bring back hanging for.. - peterb
"Trying to join mways at 45mph".

Understandable for 40 foot lorries and very old cars etc, but not for 2.0 Primeras like the one I encountered yesterday.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Peter

bring back hanging for.. - stokie
people doing 35 in 30 zone, 45 in 40 zone etc.
But hanging's too extreme, IAM training more appropriate
bring back hanging for.. - Hawesy1982
People who pull up at the traffic lights, in the right
hand lane that can go ahead or turn right, and then
put on right turn indicator when the lights turn green.

Whats the matter with that? Especially if the right turn needs to cross oncoming traffic, it warns people behind who intend to go ahead that you will be waiting to go right. Indicating all through the light sequence is just annoying, flashing lights again etc.

My Nomination is people who do 40 in a 60, then 40 in a 30, then 40 past a school....
bring back hanging for.. - malteser
Sides of beef!
Roger.
bring back hanging for.. - Burnout2
Mark,

I suggest the reason you don't find brakelights (and high-level third lights) dazzling from close range is that you're looking down on them from a big 4X4 with a high driving position. The intensity can be considerably increased at eye-level.

bring back hanging for.. - trancer
You would never survive driving in the USA then, 75% of cars there are automatics and 99.9% of the drivers leave them in "D" at lights with their foot on the brake. I lived and drove there for 16+ years and never once considered it a problem or heard about anyone else who did.

Slightly off topic, but slipping an autobox into and out of drive at every traffic light or in a slow moving queue won't do your transmission any favours and considering what they cost to fix/overhaul I would much rather take my chances with the person behind me wishing for my death by hanging 8-).
bring back hanging for.. - SR
Agree with RF - it's common courtesy and prevents people who want to go straight ahead getting stuck behind you.

Don't see how flashing lights all the way through the sequence is a problem....maybe we shouldn't indicate at all in that case.