speed hump damage - tobyn
on my way to a new job i turned left from a 60mph limit road into a 30mph limit village, (the 30mph sign being about 5m from the junction.) i was travelling at 25-30mph when i saw a speed hump (a particularly sharp angled one) which i hit. i landed heavily with an expensive sounding crunch from the front of the car.

there was no warning sign for the speed hump which was immediately after the 30mph sign.

do speed humps need a warning sign by law? can i send the council a bill for the damage?
toby
speed hump damage - Dwight Van Driver
Your in for another bumpy ride but here we go.

www.tinyurl.com/29xef

which is advice from D o T to LA regarding these items and will you a feel about them.

Now go to:

www.tinyurl.com/2m5l2

Highways (Road Humps) Regs 1990

which gives the Law on how they should conform.

With this information go with camera and measuring tape try an come up with something that does not conform to the Law. If successful you MAY have a claim. Obviously if others have suffered the same fate then that would help. How do you find them, well BUA indicates close community so a word at a shop/pub near to the site may tap into local gossip and ID fellow sufferers.

DVD

speed hump damage - tobyn
thanks - a great help.
speed hump damage - Dwight Van Driver
As you were Tobyn

The 1990 Regs have been superceeded by the 96 Regs which are at:

www.tinyurl.com/2j9mx

and in everymans language an explanation by D o T at:

www.tinyurl.com/2x4pl

Sorry about that.

DVD
speed hump damage - Kuang
Here's a speedbump damage story for you:

I have it on good authority from a local bus driver that Midland Fox Buses (now Arriva) bought a series of spanking new Mercedes buses a while back to run as 'Fox Cubs', which were smaller than usual single deckers and intended to handle routes around back roads.

One particular stretch of road in Humberstone has notorious high speed bumps, some of which also have holes in the tarmac immediately in front of the leading edge leading to quite a shock if you catch them in the wrong place. These bumps are of the three-in-a-row variety, allowing larger vehicles to roll the wheels through on either side of the central bump.

Unfortunately nobody thought to check the sump clearance of the new Mercs, leading to a few scuppered engines and a lot of oilslicks. They were eventually repaired and reassigned to other routes, and I don't think the company managed to get any compensation..
speed hump damage - Sooty Tailpipes
I once got a few hundred pounds for some that didn't have the white triangles painted on them as they were too new. I have calculated the humps on tthat particular road smash my car 15,000 times a year, and they have been there over two years! Grrrr!
speed hump damage - patently
Try the discussion at the assoc of british drivers:

www.abd.org.uk/

Click on "roads" on the left and then follow the link to speed humps