How to test a battery ? - arnold2
Obvious question, I suppose, but since I know a thing or two about electronics, how does one test a car battery ? Presumably under full load (engine, lights, rear screen heater), and then measure the voltage drop ? What should it be, given that it's normally 12v ?
How to test a battery ? - Claude
Best way is to buy a battery tester which includes a heating coil and meter. Machine Mart sell one for about £35. Plus you need a hydrometer. As you will know from electronics a fully charged lead acid cell is 2.2v e.m.f which, practically speaking, is about 2.11v in a typical car battery application when surface charge on the plates has been removed (either by an eletrical load or the passage of time). So a fully charged car battery of nominal 12v is actually approx 12.67v when fully charged (depending on temperature) and each cell should have a specific gravity (relative density) of 1.25. A cell is fully discharged at about SG 1.15 and the open circuit voltage reading on a digital meter would be about 11.7v when the battery is effectivly discharged. These voltages vary with temperature so, coupled with the small range between charge and discharge, this means that open circuit voltage is not a very accurate guide to a battery's state of charge and ability to provide cold cranking amps.
How to test a battery ? - Dynamic Dave
Easiest way is to go to anywhere that sells car batteries and they'll normally test them for free with their dump test loader.

>> Easiest way is to go to anywhere that sells car batteries >> and they'll normally test them for free with their dump test >> loader. >> actually, that's why I wanted an electrical way of testing myself - enough experience of the motor trade to know that if they hoodwink you into buying something you don't need, they will !

Edited by Xileno on 06/06/2021 at 10:59

How to test a battery ? - Galaxy
What I usually do is measure the voltage across the battery terminals under cranking, i.e. with the engine being turned over with the starter motor, with a digital multimeter set to DC Volts.

You will need to pull out a fuse or do something else simple to prevent the engine actually starting whilst doing this, otherwise the test will have been worthless. Take great care how this is done if it's a modern car with an engine management system fitted.

Any reading of cranking voltage much below about 11.0 volts and the battery is probably on it's way out.
How to test a battery ? - Dynamic Dave
actually, that's why I wanted an electrical way of testing myself
- enough experience of the motor trade to know that if
they hoodwink you into buying something you don't need, they will

The ones I've previously had tested were done openly in front of me, with the equipment display clearly viewable. So no way to hoodwink me into buying a new battery when the one being tested is still ok.
How to test a battery ? - Cliff Pope
You are obviously busy testing things at the moment Arnold, ref your other post!
Like the answer to the antifreeze question, the easiest one is by simulating the conditions of actual use.
Charge the battery up, leave it a week, will it start the engine on a freezing morning?
Charge it up, leave the lights on for a few hours, will it still start?
Start the engine, turn on every single accessory and light, does the idle speed dip?
I'll try the cranking/voltage drop test, should give a clear enough idea ... Cheers !
How to test a battery ? - Chris M

Cliff, Wouldn't a modern engine management system compensate for the drain of having everything on so that idle will be the same as when everything is switched off?

How to test a battery ? - Chris M

Now realise this is an old thread brought back to life by our Chinese contributor (read salesman)

Hmm my old thread now testing on new car! My battery reads 12.3v, connected to car, but nothing on i.e. ignition off.... good, or not?

How to test a battery ? - Dorset123

I work in a main dealer and we would test the battery for free and if it didn't need changing that's what would you would be told. I know there are people in the motor trade that don't give good advice but don't tar everyone with the same brush. I am sure in your trade/business their are people that would try and "hoodwink you" but I am sure you aren't one of them.

Kwik Fit don't have fully trained staff so what do you expect !

How to test a battery ? - Cyd

All you need is an accurate multimeter.

Bonnet up, everyting off, you should be hoping for 12.6 volts (12.2 abs min)

Now disconnect your injection system and crank the engine for 20 seconds, three times with 20 seconds between bursts. Get an assistant to do this unless you can read your voltmeter from the seat (or reach the key and read at the same time). As the end of the third cranking session approaches the battery should still be holding at least 10V. if not it's starting to fail.

now try charging (properly with a charger) and repeat to see if the results are any different (just in case th ebattery is healthy, but the drive cycles you use aren't keeping it charged).

Worth noting that no battery tester gives a 100% accurate result every time. And that batteries can and do die suddenly. but the above will give you a good indication of whether the battery is ok or not ok.

Once you've done the test and you've got your meter out you could do a basic charge system test whilst you're at it. reconnect your injectors and start the engine. let it warm a little and settle at normal idle. The voltage at the terminals should be at least 13, preferably nearer 14.5, but no more (everything off). Now switch on all the lights and electrical accessories you can. The voltage should still stay above 13. If it's less, raise the revs a little to see if it rises. If you get to 2000rpm and it's still under 13v you've got a problem.

Do these tests regularly (at least annually) and record the results and you may be able to detect a looming failure. i tend to do it during the Xmas shutdown when a) I'm home anyway and b) the ambient temperature is lower. Bear in mind though that the battery's ability to accept charge starts to fall below 5C and it won't accept any charge below about -2C.

How to test a battery ? - liammcl

Just for info...My car wouldn't start last month ..

Called the breakdown, and the guy turned up with a new fangled electronic tester and said the battery was "A" ok, perfect...and thaty it must be something "major"

The battery had the "green" through the plastic "condition" window
and at home , a smart charger gave it a green light as fully charged too..

A plug in cig lighter voltage from ebay £5 showed the voltage dropped to 7v !

bit confused... I got a 100amp tester coil from ebay £18

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262946955562

and it indeed showed the battery drop to 7v and in "poor" condition

The tester has paid for itself, as I could test a 2nd hand battery, and bought it for £22 rather than £80+ new (100ah)

old school rocks :)
Laterz
Liam