405 - Carb or fuel injection? - Rob the Bus {P}
Morning all

I've just acquired a 93 Peugeot 405 1.6GL but have no idea whether it is fuel injected or not.

I've had a quick gander under the bonnet and didn't see anything that looked like a carb (can't spell the full name!). Mind you, my technical knowledge is only slightly greater than HF's!

Where the throttle cable comes in, there's a load of 'gubbins', one part of which is labelled "Magneti Marelli".

Any of you know what this may be?

Thanks in advance

Rob

405 - Carb or fuel injection? - RichardW
Rob,

Magneti Marelli make injection systems so there's your answer! Catalytic converters were compulsory from about 93, and you need injection to run of them, so it's very likely to be injected.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
405 - Carb or fuel injection? - Wee Willie Winkie
Don't you trust my word then? :-)

It is fuel injected. Trust me, I'm a doctor.
405 - Carb or fuel injection? - Altea Ego
Magneti Marelli? Oh Dear Rob, its got FIAT bits in it.........
405 - Carb or fuel injection? - Andrew-T
Rob - I think Peugeots switched from carbs to injection about 1991, before the K-plate cat-converter legislation took effect. Certainly true for 205s, and I would guess it happened to 405s a bit sooner.
405 - Carb or fuel injection? - Rob the Bus {P}
Thanks for your replies.

DB - I posted the question before I got your e-mail!

Cheers

Rob
405 - Carb or fuel injection? - PhilW
"Magneti Marelli? Oh Dear Rob, its got FIAT bits in it........."

Ferrari bits surely????

According to my old Xantia Haynes the 1.6 (same as Peugeot?) has a Mag Marelli 8P system -fuel injection of a "self-learning" type which "monitors and stores the settings which give optimum engine performance under all conditions"
405 - Carb or fuel injection? - Bof
There were some carb 1.6 405s sold AFTER the K-plate change to cat only, though; my son has one, registered in late 1992. I too thought it would have to be a catted engine with that registration date, but not so. It has the Solex carb; crap carb when it gets old. It's not worth replacing with new on an old banger like that, but given that 405s are pretty durable cars otherwise, the solution is either a recon carb (£175-ish), or replace it with a Weber (£200-ish), OR (£50 - best solution) see your friendly local breaker; not for a Solex, but for the Weber (good carb) off a Citroen with the same engine (shared engine, but Pug nearly always used Solexes and Citroen nearly always Webers). Two potential problems here: firstly, the throttle cable enters the carb on the other side from the Solex, and is not always long enough; secondly, your FLB may not have any Webers left, 'cos others with the same problem got there before you.......
BOF
405 - Carb or fuel injection? - Andrew-T
When was your son's 405 built, BOF?
405 - Carb or fuel injection? - The Grey Man
I used to own on of these so lets see if I can help. I had a 93K facelift model and these definitely had a cat and therefore fule injection. The facelift model is mainly identifiable by the fact that the vertical face of the bootlid was body colour coded as opposed to the dark plastic slatted effect on the pre-facelift models. Actually looking back, the cat was fitted from late 91 on 1.6 models therefore you definitely have fuel injection.