The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 18 - Dynamic Dave

**** THREAD CLOSED, PLEASE CONTINUE DISCUSSION IN

"The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 19" ****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20346

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

Volume seventeen filled up.

This is Volume 18, 17 is closed but can be viewed here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18579

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted, although I am quite sure that this will not stop you.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846
Speed camera complaint - teabelly
The radio 4 programme 'more or less' is covering speed cameras at 3pm. They are going to be discussing regression to the mean and testing whether the apparent reduction in accidents at camera sites is regression to the mean or a measurable actual effect.

Siting cameras in places that are safe to exceed the speed limit would lead to people naturally speeding in other places a)to avoid detection and b) because they think cameras are at accident blackspots. This could explain why accidents are starting to go up again as people are speeding in the wrong places.

teabelly
speed cameras - clachnacudden
Alrigh so I am driving along a dual carriageway and the speed limit states 40. The car in front pulls over to let me though I am sitting at 43/44mph...and one of them mobile speed units sees me. There is no flash and the camera follows me am I a gonner?
speed cameras - Hugo {P}
Oh I should expect to rot in Hell!

No only joking, I suspect you'll be OK.

If there was no flash then the camera may well not have been triggered.

Two other points:

Your speedo will register a slightly higher speed that you are travelling.

There is usually a small margin built into these cameras anyway.

Also there is a speed camera thread here somewhere, which I suspect your post will join in due course.

Finally - Welcome to the backroom!

Hugo
speed cameras - Dynamic Dave
Also there is a speed camera thread here somewhere, which I
suspect your post will join in due course.

Correct. Kick - wee, off it goes.
Finally - Welcome to the backroom!

?? If you click on clachnacudden's name, you'll see he's been a subscriber since Sun 10 Aug 2003.
speed cameras - Dipstick
I rather wish that had said "whee", personally.
speed cameras - Dwight Van Driver
Other than N Wales then for a 40 limit expect the heavens to fall at 46 (true) and above (Ten percent plus two).

DVD
speed cameras - John Shelton
s************s flash and take a photo of you when they are triggered so if u didnt see a flash then I doubt youve been caught, Unless.....its an average speed SPECS digital camera which measure speed over a predetermined distance and everything is then done automatically. DVD says its +6mph , I know various counties and they all have varied settings from +5 to +9mph, it all depends where you are.
speed cameras - John Shelton
DVD,...Does your force subscribe to the law that "only a Constable may give an opinion as to speed" or does your cheif allow civilans to operate mobile units? (as opossed to just reloading fixed sites?) Our boss only allows Police Officers to operate mobile units and they have control of the "trigger" to the video once they have formed an opinion as to speed. Ive visited others forces where civilans are allowed to perform this task, which begs quite a few questions which im sure you are aware of.
Had not forgotten you John Shelton...

BiB a***nal is very few fixed SC's. No mobile SC Vans. Mobile Matrix Speed warning boards touted around to look into complaints to see if heavy hand required.

Traffic cars (what is left)Calibrated Speedo, Vascar, Video and Hand Held.

Hand Held also available for use by trained Divisional personnel.

No civilian involvement.

DVD
speed cameras - Altea Ego
Other than N Wales then for a 40 limit expect the
heavens to fall at 46 (true) and above (Ten percent plus
two).

What policy does North Wales operate then?
RF

Supposed to adhere to ACPO Code of Practice as outlined above but various reports suggest some could be lower.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, Blunderbus is reported in BiB's Review (6.2.04) as ACPO head of Traffic he is looking into how he can improve the sensitivity of existing cameras and by improving the technology enforce nearer to actual limit.
i.e. 30 - flash at 32. He claims a balancing act to see how close they can get to the limit to trade off against the road safety benefits.

He is also quoted as saying " We cannot afford to lose cases in court because it would lead to a collapse in confidence in the Criminal Justice System."

He obviously lives in a closet and is not aware the damage being done to PR Public/Police and through the mass disobedience of S 172 RTA (name and shame)the system is already in disrepute.

DVD
Brunstrum - pdc {P}
Richard Brunstrum, soft on drugs news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3460485.stm hard on the motorist.
Brunstrum - Armitage Shanks{P}
This is the Force that has a 4% clear up rate on burglaries! How pleased are the local tax payers with that one wonders!
Brunstrum - pdc {P}
To be honest, this is an approach that I have advocated for somewhile now, so good on Brunstrum. Why can't he have a more sensible policy for motorists though?
Blast a speed camera, legally! - PR {P}
www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/game/camerakiller.htm

A fun if not politically correct game
Blast a speed camera, legally! - tobyn
after a crap week at work that was brilliant - feel much better!
Blast a speed camera, legally! - PhilW
I'll stick to the limit. Lost my licence about 3 times and failed to hit a single camera while writing off about 6 cars! Never was any good at computer games!
Blast a speed camera, legally! - teabelly
For more amusement there is this article :-)

www.therockalltimes.co.uk/2004/02/02/safety-camera...l
teabelly
radar detectors - xantmark
Hi can anyone tell me what Snooper S1 radar detectors are like are they any good or a waste of money. One web site said they werent much good and they were selling them!.Others say they are a good entry level one and they are less than £80 to buy any advice would be great thanks
radar detectors - Sooty Tailpipes
I doubt it......I bought a higher model - SD715iS, it stayed in the car a month, and is now in a drawer in the house. There are just so many false alarms, it becomes annoying, and then your brain filters them out eventually, defeating the object.

It would seem the signal from automatic doors of shops, petrol stations etc....proximity detectors on traffic signals, buses and all manner of other things makes these cheap detectors go berserk.
Thanks sooty Tailpipes for your reply so do you think its a case of you get what you pay for or do they all give some false alarms someone is selling yank ones called cobras on the net for around £50 I asked him if they detected gatsos and he said not the latest ones anyone know what the cheapest best one is thanks
radar detectors - Adam {P}
Xantmark,
I don't know loads of stuff about detectors but have some useful advice. I was looking into getting a radar detector where I live but the problem was mainly that there are no Gatsos in our area so the main method employed is camera van/laser gun. Considering it gets a reading in 0.3 seconds, there would be little you could do. Your only hope would be a car in front being targetted to warn you. I'd rather not spend hundreds on something which may only possible save me.

Second thing - I read somewhere that the US uses a different type of radar than us so some if not all of our cameras will not be picked up by an American device. Someone who knows more will tell you but you have got to ask yourself if it's really worth it.

Good luck
--
"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will"
radar detectors - smokie
I had a Snooper Neo for a couple of months. it does GPS camera location which is handy. The laser warning went off twice for no apparent reason during that time. I was trying to use the radar detector with the actual detector bit on suckers inside my windscreen, but it was constantly detecting Ka band (despite a repalcement unit) so I never used the radar bit.

All the write ups I read had Snooper as one of the better ones. But I'd also question the value of radar detection these days.
Yes, that's the Ka that I got too many warnings for, but I got the other warnings too. The spec differentiates between our signals and US ones, so beware that a US one might not support the signals they use here. I think they would be better on those long quiet roadds you get in other countries, but here in the UK, there's just too much going on beside and on the roads, Also with the proliferation of SPECS and Truvelo cameras? maybe their days are coming to an end?
Thanks guys for your replies the GPS one's sound good and expensive and it dont stop there you have to pay for downloads on top i think the cheapest way is to watch the road signs and keep to the speed limit(her indoors sugestion)
radar detectors - smokie
I've said this before, so I'll say it again...

For a couple of hundred more than the Neo I had SmartNav fitted which is primarily SatNav (with dynamic routing round hold ups) but has speed cam locator as an optional extra...

However, I am going to stop blowing their trumpet unless they come up with the £25 M&S voucher they owe me for signing up a new person last Nov!!!
radar detectors - Ian D
The cheapo detectors as has been said above are generally so prone to false alarms they are virtually useless. You need to spend £300+ to get a suitable one that has the technology to be useful in the UK and filter out the bands that give false alarms. I bought a £320 Bel Euro 550i to alert me to the shed load of accident blackspots near me and it is very good, even though Petrol station door openers and security systems can give false alarms, out on the open road though it is excellent.

Another useful site with reviews of accident black spot detectors is www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/
can anyone tell me why radar detectors are so cheap in the USA or on the other hand why are they so expensive over here thanks
radar detectors - CM
I have an Origin B2 which has a GPS camera locator and laser detector. There is an optional radar detector but the hand-book says that laser is much more used than radar (whether this si true or not who knows?)

The laser has only flashed once - in Dover harbour.

As it does not have a radar detector I have not had a single false alarm.
radar detectors - smokie
I think this has been mentioned above, but laser detection is pretty pointless as you don't have enough time between warning and capture to react. Still, at least it's legal, which is more than laser jamming is!
radar detectors - CM
smokie,

you're right there. What happens if a laser points at a coupl of cars in front? Will your detector pick it up or is it car specific?
I was told once, that if your speed is changing, ie you're braking because you've seen the laser being pointed, the device won't give the officer the evidence he requires, - or is it tripe?
radar detectors - Adam {P}
Depends how quick you are I suppose. I think it takes a reading in 0.3 seconds so the chances of you having time to brake from seeing it are slim at best.
--
But if during that 0.3 secs your speed changes, then will the machine wait for your speed to stabilise, just as if you put a kg of carrots on the scales at a checkout it waits for them to settle before beeping and displaying the price.
radar detectors - smokie
I'm no expert here, but 0.3 of a second is a long time in lasers...I'd say that they would have their fix 10 times over in that time. Who can respond that quickly anyway?

Regarding targeting the car in front - there is little "spread" from lasers so I doubt you would get caught if the car in front was being targeted. Although...if you were keeping up speedwise and hte car in front was nabbed, then they know just how fast you were going too. You do NOT have to be clocked or measured in order to get booked, as I know to my cost...the opinion of two officers is enough
radar detectors - GrumpyOldGit
Why not save yourselves hundreds of pounds and simply obey speed restrictions?

It's about time these devices were made illegal as they have only one use, to avoid being caught while breaking the law.
radar detectors - patently
It's about time these devices were made illegal as they have
only one use, to avoid being caught while breaking the law.

There are those who claim that as speed enforcement is applied at accident blackspots (har har), advance warning of speed enforcement is useful in helping the driver to recognise potential danger ahead.

One obvious flaw in that argument, I fear...

They tend to cite studies showing that drivers with radar detectors suffer fewer accidents, but I do not know how/whether these studies cope with the potential for self-selection in their population.

So perhaps it would be fairer to say that these devices have various uses but are almost always purchased for just one use..?

radar detectors - CM
Why not save yourselves hundreds of pounds and simply obey speed
restrictions?

Because speed restrictions are far too slow! ;-)
The Speed Camera Thread XVIII - oldbag
Speed Deed?

Hi, I'd like to pose a question to all you knowledgeable people here in the hopes of a clear answer.

I received an NIP on Jan 27, 2004 for a speeding offence allegedly captured on a Gatso camera on Oct 02, 2003 (doing 40mph in a 30mph zone!)

Anyway, their excuse was that they sent the first NIP to the previous owner of the car (I bought the car some time around then, but cannot confirm the exact date. I mean, can you blame me, it's been almost 4 months!)

The previous owner is no longer in the UK, but I am sure I was not driving the car at that point of time. Like I said, I don't even think I picked up the car yet.

What constitutes a reasonable amount of time for the police to FIGURE OUT that the ownership info has changed? The DVLA recorded the change in details on Oct 13, 2003.

Any info on how to deal with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
The Speed Camera Thread XVIII - Armitage Shanks{P}
I think all you have to do is prove that did not 'own' the car on 2 Oct 2003. Do you not have a receipt for the sale or a relevant bank statement? The police have 14 days, from 2 Oct, to get an NIP to the person who owned the car on that date. If it was you they are too late and if it wasn't you there isn't a problem, so far as I can see.
The Speed Camera Thread XVIII - Dwight Van Driver
OB

Offence on 2.10. 2003.

DVLA recorded change of ownership on 13.10.2003.

The day of (depending on time of offence) or within a couple of days the Camera Authority would make an interrogation of DVLA records and discover your friend was the registered keeper. They would send the paperwork to him including the NOIP so they will have complied with the Law.

Presumably, your friend will have received the papers and maybe entered your details as the driver? Plod will then have continued the paper chase and sent the forms to you.

You state you are not sure you were the driver. Write back and tell them this and ask them to send a photo to assist. If they play ball, they don't have to, then it may resolve the issue i.e. ID you or show a cloned vehicle ?

From there it is down to you as to what you do next.

DVD

The Unsigned Loophole - pdc {P}
Received NIP back in July last year for doing 45mph in a 40 limit. Was caught by mobile camera. Completed the NIP but didn't sign it. A few weeks later I received another NIP with an accompanying letter explaining that it was against the law not to sign the form and that I was liable to prosecution for not doing so. I wrote a letter asking them to quote said law, and have heard nothing back almost 8 months down the line. I know of several other people who have had a similar experience.

Seems like the loophole may work.
The Unsigned Loophole - Dwight Van Driver
Just wonder if the fact that you were 1mph UNDER the ACPO criteria for Conditional Offer/FPN for 40 mph?

...or maybe a reward for stirling work with them round discs????

DVD
The Unsigned Loophole - Godfrey H {P}
Since when have the Scameraships observed the ACPO guidelines - any of them?
Uni-directional Speed Cameras - Wee Willie Winkie
Morning All,

Around my neck of the woods, Gatso cameras that appear to be the standard type are sprouting with lines painted on both sides of the road. This means that, in theory, you can be captured whilst driving toward the camera, as well as away from it.

My SmartNav lets me know about the location of the camera only when I going to drive past with it on my left hand side, not when I'm facing it.

This leaves me to believe that the lines are just there for effect..... am I right?

Cheers.
Uni-directional Speed Cameras - smokie
Gatso's can only get you from behind (oo'er missus!). Some are on revolving posts so can be pointed either way. Truvelos catch you from the front.

Ain't SmartNav great?
Uni-directional Speed Cameras - SteveH42
We have the odd one around here in the centre of the road that is occasionally turned around, presumably to keep people on their toes. I'd doubt one single camera can take photos in both directions - would too easily get confused.
Uni-directional Speed Cameras - Armitage Shanks{P}
Smokie is correct in saying that Truevelos photograph you from the front but they can be turned round to photograph traffic in either direction on a normal 2 lane road. The sensor wires are installed on both lanes of the road and camera turned one way or the other. An a example of this type of installation is the two cameras in Great Barford on the A421 between Bedford and the A1. There is one of the bi-directional GATSOs, that Steve mentions, on a traffic island on the approach into Bicester from Buckingham.
Uni-directional Speed Cameras - daveyjp
The lines are to ensure anyone who is stupid enough to drive on the other carriageway to avoid the white lines on the correct side gets caught.
Uni-directional Speed Cameras - Wee Willie Winkie
Thanks - I thought that might be the case. Otherwise, there's a stretch of road in outer Liverpool where you could collect 12 points in 600yds!

Uni-directional Speed Cameras - Thommo
Mr. Shanks,

Just to clarify what you say, Truvelos ONLY photgraph the front of vehicles, is that correct? But they can be turned round so they can be used say heading south or heading north but they could not be used to photograph the rear of a venicle, is this correct?

Reason I am interested is that I have always assumed I was safe on the motorbike, is this correct?
Uni-directional Speed Cameras - smokie
There used to be a train of thought which said that Gatso's cannot capture square number plates (most bikes). But although electronic recognition may not work, human intervention usually does.

Truvelos only photo the front. So on a bike you will be OK.
Uni-directional Speed Cameras - johnwharrison
Truvelos only photo the front. So on a bike you will
be OK.

IIRC, Cars are not legally required to have a front Numberplate, only a rear., so If thats removed, it renders most truvelos useless surely?

Can somebody confirm or deny this please before someone tries it, gets done, and blames me!
Uni-directional Speed Cameras - Dwight Van Driver
JW

You are hereby sentenced to a day in the stocks for trying to spread that rumour.

R.V (Display of Reg. Marks) Regs, 2002, Reg 10 and Sch 2 say that they do.

DVD
Met Boss speaks out - martint123
mentioned in the Mirror tinyurl.com/2pc7u

BRITAIN'S leading policeman has slammed greedy forces who use speed cameras to raise cash.

Met Commissioner Sir John Stevens said in an exclusive interview: "I don't approve of using speed cameras as money making devices. Their proper use is to lower accident rates."

Sir John, 61, spoke out amid national outrage at the soaring number of cameras which land speeding drivers with a £60 fine and penalty points on their licence. He said: "I insist all Met cameras are deployed in places where there is a history of serious accidents.

"I'm not after people on a school run exceeding the limit by five miles an hour. I want to target the dangerous motorists and menaces driving unlicenced and uninsured."

The AA said: "This marks a sensible approach to traffic policing."

Protesters claim speed cameras unfairly penalise safe drivers and have failed to curb the road death toll.

In Hampshire, where motorcycle deaths have almost doubled in a year, six new cameras are netting police an estimated £30,000 a month in fines.

But the devices, which photograph cars from the front, cannot trap motorcycles as bikes do not have a front number plate.

While drivers complain at too many cameras, a survey showed there were just six on 21 miles of Britain's most dangerous roads.
Met Boss speaks out - SR
Bearing in mind their speedometers are probably reading up to 38 (assuming 5mph over a 30), and they'll be near a school, I'd have thought the "school run exceeding the limit by five miles an hour" would be a group that should be targeted.
Met Boss speaks out - CM
Sir John, 61, spoke out amid national outrage at the soaring
number of cameras which land speeding drivers with a £60 fine
and penalty points on their licence. He said: "I insist all
Met cameras are deployed in places where there is a history
of serious accidents.

He obviously hasn't driven down the A2 recently then!
Met Boss speaks out - Woody
< >

Spot on.

I joined the A2 East bound at Blackheath on Friday. It was busy and lorry laden, so I accelerated off the sliproad into a gap and Flash! got me at est 55 in a 50.

All I was doing was joining a heavy flow of traffic. It makes my blood boil.

Said it before and I\'ll say it again, these tax grabbers have made me so anti-police that I would not help them in any way whatsoever.

Need a witness, being beaten up, on fire? (you know the rest) panda car broken down middle of nowhere? Good, not interested.

I was called to court some while ago as a witness to an accident (no one was hurt). Turned out I was being called as a Police witness. Strangely, I could recall nothing and nor could the other witnesses. Case dismissed.

Met Boss speaks out - smokie
"I was called to court some while ago as a witness to an accident (no one was hurt). Turned out I was being called as a Police witness. Strangely, I could recall nothing and nor could the other witnesses. Case dismissed."

Useful waste of taxpayers money then. Thanks from us all.
Met Boss speaks out - Kevham
Evenin' all,

Did anyone read Max Mosley?s comments in this week?s Autosport about the Rally GB speed camera incidents?

?We?re absolutely against speeding or anything dangerous, but in the UK there are strict guidelines about where you can put a speed camera ? a certain number of accidents in a certain period of time. If the guidelines have been applied in Wales then these roads must be thee most dangerous roads in the United Kingdom, if not in the world. We?ve asked for details on the accidents in the camera positions but the police haven?t supplied them.?

Such a clever man, and a lawyer to boot!
Met Boss speaks out - Kevham
Apologies all, all the punctuation seems to have gone a bit sour in the above message. I?m not sure why though? I wrote it perfectly in Word 2000 then copied it into the message box. Having gone back to Word to view what I?ve written, the punctuation is fine. How strange is that?

kev
Beautiful, just beautiful - andymc {P}
Came across this over on the seatenthusiasts forum. They say revenge is a dish best served cold ... :)

British newspaper report:

Four youths from Canberra - Australia, pulled off a trick of breathtaking bravado in order to gain revenge on a mobile speed camera van operating in the area.

Three of the group approached the van and distracted the operator's attention by asking a series of questions about how the equipment worked and how many cars the operator could catch in a day.

Meanwhile, the fourth musketeer sneaked to the front of the van and unscrewed its numberplate.

After bidding the van operator goodbye, the friends returned home, fixed the number plate to their car and drove through the camera's radar at high speed ---- 17 times. As a result, the automated billing system issued 17 speeding tickets to itself!!!

andymc
Beautiful, just beautiful - vercin
Brilliant protest, not destructive and very funny!
Vercin
M25 cameras - GT
Does anyone know, definitively, whether the M25 cameras work? I'm amazed how many people sail past me when I'm doing 70 - they seem to be in the know that they won't get flashed. A taxi driver told me they're only activated when there's a variable speed limit in place, and also that the only one normally active is on a gantry just south of the M4 junction.
M25 cameras - OldPeculiar
Don't know if anyone can say for sure - not sure I'd belive them anyway. But I am cynical enough to suggest that the cameras could be switched off to lull people into a false sense of security before turning them on and catching a lot of people.

If they follow the guidelines then the minimum speed they could be set of at would be 80 (limit +10% +3mph although someone might correct me on that)
M25 cameras - helicopter
I\'m sure this will be sailing over to the speed camera thread soon. {Correct. DD.}

In the meantime GT - Believe me they do - most particularly in the SW quadrant virtually all the overhead gantries have them and I have seen them flashing frequently , its not definitive but look for the lines on the road .- Its a satisfying feeling when you are doing 70 and the majority of those passing you are in you know what type of cars and that double flash goes off behind them!

Also beware of the police cars with speed gun on the bridge at A3 junction 10 and your police car that goes off at a junction , you breathe a sigh of relief and speed up only to notice the same car has rejoined at the same junction and is behind you clocking your speed.
M25 cameras - Kevham
For camera locations, try this:
www.nationalsafetycameras.co.uk/nscl/cameras/camer...l

And for further info (there are links at the bottom of this page for rule for new s************ sites and new camera visibility rules):
www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/docume...p

In my area, we've just had some new cameras installed and they don't appear to be on the first site's lists. However, these have only become operational in the last two weeks. So they could be a little too new.
M25 cameras - Kevham
Now there's something, all those ****'s should say "speed camera". I didn't write it that way, and it certainly wasn't like that when I clicked to post my message.
M25 cameras - Mark (RLBS)
Did you, perchance, happen to call them \"safety cameras\" rather than \"speed cameras\" ?

HJ objects to them being called safety cameras so the swear filters blocks it.

M.

p.s. and yes, I can type it without being edited. Irritating, isn\'t it ;-)
M25 cameras - Kevham
Ah yes, that'll be it then! I thought I was going a bit odd. I've noticed it's normally the reason for most things.

Cheers Mark!
kev
M25 cameras - Hawesy1982
Not a definitive answer by any means, but i'm yet to be flashed (touch wood) by a camera and i regularly pass through the M25 ones jcn 12-19 in excess of 90-95mph (in the very early hours mind).

My take on it is that they are set at over 95 mph, so as to catch the really serious speeders

I've never seen one of the M25 ones go off at all though, so they may just all be fakes/broken/dormant
M25 cameras - rjr

I used to drive between jcn 12-14 every weekday and the cameras would regularly go off so I can confirm that they do work.

However, I usually travelled at rush hour so a variable (lower) speed limit would be in effect.

I never saw the cameras go off when the road was clear and national speed limit was in effect but I did hear of someone getting caught doing 105 mph so they may be set to only catch drivers doing over 100 mph.
Fake/Old Camera Lines - Hawesy1982
Hi,

I'm guessing this may eventually merge into the camera thread, but i thought i'd start it off in its own right:

Is there any kind of law regarding having camera lines (you know, the evenly spaced white lines going across the road used by cameras to measure distance) in places where there are no cameras?

I have found these in two different locations recently and they are a major distraction and a potential hazard.

Firstly there are lots of these on the A12 between the M25 and Colchester, i'm guessing left over from roadworks where there may have been cameras and a special limit enforced?
Anyway, there are no camera warning signs, no reduced limit, just suddenly these lines go flashing under your car and you think "Oh pinkfluffydice, camera!", and your instictive reaction is to hit the brakes. Even if you are not speeding, i think most people would agree that this is an instinctive reaction and potentially dangerous.

The second place is on the A33 heading towards Reading town centre: standard 40mph limit in place, no camera warning signs, no cameras. Then suddenly you are going over white camera lines! The first time i discovered these, i had just pulled back into the lefthand lane after overtaking a transit van, i was not speeding, yet suddenly seeing these lines appear, causing me to dab the brakes, and the transit van still accelerating away from the roundabout we had just come from nearly went into the back of me as he was not expecting me to slow down at that point!

Are these cunning ploys to trick people into thinking there are cameras present, or leftovers from ex-camera sites, or what?
Fake/Old Camera Lines - Galaxy
Yes, these markings are from previous road works where mobile speed cameras have been deployed. They are left on the road surface for exactly the reasons you say, i.e. to totally confuse motorists into thinking there are still cameras there, but, of course, they aren't.

The A12 has been dug up regularly every summer for as many years as I can remember, and each year they move the road works just a couple of miles along the road, so, yes. there are many, many markings to be found along the A12. Also to be found along the A127.

However, more interesting than that fact, can anyone please explain to me about the brand new speed camera signs that appeared after the Christmas holidays along the A13 at Pitsea and Orsett which have now been completely removed? Obviously plod is collecting far too much money from the speed camera scam and is able to waste vast amounts in this way, by putting up speed camera signs, and taking them down a month later. Best bit of all is, there aren't any speed cameras there!
Fake/Old Camera Lines - billy25
talking of wasting money on camera/speed signs, our local authority have just installed new electronic speed signs that actually show you a "smiley" face if you are within the speed limit, and a frown-y one if you are over!!

next, if it carries on like this, if you collect three smileys, you will be given a lollipop at the next set of lights!!!

billy.
On a similar theme, we have two or three speed reactive "Slow Down" signs in Watford, which light up if you approach them at anything over about 36mph. However one has just been removed as it now presents itself as a challenge to get it to light up, and has probably increased the average speed of the road!

A similar phenomenon occurs with tight chicanes just before 60 limits go down to 30's, and they even put extra grippy tarmac there so you can go through the chicane even faster!

Anyway, back onto topic....
Fake/Old Camera Lines - NARU
talking of wasting money on camera/speed signs, our local authority have
just installed new electronic speed signs that actually show you a
"smiley" face if you are within the speed limit, and a
frown-y one if you are over!!

I was reading some research which suggests that this type of sign is more effective at reducing accidents than cameras (but obviously doesn't generate revenue!
Fake/Old Camera Lines - NorthernKev {P}
I agree with this. Because it's a sensible idea, you are treated like an adult and I tend to respect the [normally] 30. However speed cameras I break heavily for then speed up again to make up for lost time and drive generally faster cos i'm fished off.

More sensible things like these please!

Kev, now the safest driver here cos I don't drive...
Fake/Old Camera Lines - Adam {P}
Similar note so I'll ask here:

Can this work the other way around? That is to say - if there is a camera WITHOUT lines, can it be used - surely you need these as a backup?

--
Ah such as where they've re-surfaced the road, after the cameras introduction?

Absolutely no idea officially, but i doubt the fine and points would stick if you appealed against it.

DVD?
Fake/Old Camera Lines - Dwight Van Driver
If the secondary method (corroboration) of checking primary speed is by two timed photographs linked to the distance from lines, then speed cannot be corrobrated.

However the absence of lines doesn't mean the device is u/s as it may be operating from underground pressure cables or hollow tubes to measure distance/time.

DVD
Smile ? you're not going to get a ticket - Altea Ego
www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1013300,00.html
The Speed Camera Thread XVIII - pdc {P}
www.itv.com/news/1777039.html

Metropolitan Police chief Sir John Stevens has ordered the number of speed cameras in London to be cut back after mounting criticism from the public.

Of the 665 fixed cameras in the capital, just 260 will actually contain film. But, the remainder will still flash if a car breaks the speed limit.

Any camera site that has not had at least four fatal or serious injury accidents in the past 36 months will no longer be used.

And after a further review, the cameras which do not contain film are likely to be removed entirely.

Additionally, the number of sites where police can use mobile speed cameras is being reduced to around 25 from 127. The moves will mean a £10 million drop in the number of motorists fined in the capital.

"The Met is fed up with people saying cameras are there just to take money from motorists," a police spokesman said.

"They are not. We care about road safety and want to use cameras where there is a safety problem.

"From now we will only use cameras at sites with a serious accident record, not where people are simply going a few miles per hour over the limit."

Last week, Sir John said: "I don't approve of the use of speed cameras as money-making devices.

"The proper use for them is as a measure to lower the accident rate."
The Speed Camera Thread XVIII - frostbite
I was more than a little disgusted to see, in the BBC report of this, a huge subtitle appear saying "camera sights".

This from our national broadcaster in a flagship programme! How many people did this get past?
Bel 550i - Adam {P}
Hi all,
Seriously contemplating buying a Bel 550 detector for around 300 ish pounds. Someone please try and talk me out of it.

Adam.
--
Bel 550i - No Do$h
1) Think of the beer you could buy with £300
2) Work out a schedule for drinking that beer, factoring in how long it is since you last got nobbled to speeding.
4) Now start the drinking. You won't be needing your car, so you won't get points.

There, that was easy.

ND
Bel 550i - Adam {P}
Yup - Consider myself well and truly talked out of it!

Cheers ND

Adam.
--
Bel 550i - Ian D
I would buy one, 'a friend of mine' has one and says it is about best of the bunch (excluding the GPS based ones). With the ever increasing number of accident blackspots appearing everywhere it has got to be a good idea to have one.
Bel 550i - legacylad
Please excuse my ignorance Ian D. What is the connection between accident blackspots and a radar detector? There are very few bright yellow speed cameras in my part of the world, and where they are located they are clearly signed. Is this not always the case?
Bel 550i - Ian D
Bit of a tongue in cheek comment from me as speed cameras are meant to be located at accident black spots but we know a lot of them are revenue raisers.

In my part of England mobile gotsos and camera vans pop up everywhere, the vans can normally be spotted but then mobile gatsos often not easily...
Bel 550i - daveyjp
Unfortunately not all cameras are bright yellow. If the police want a cut of the money collected they have to be visible, otherwise boring grey is OK. Try the Woodhead Pass from Manchester to Sheffield, loads of cameras, all grey and hidden in trees and behind signposts!
Bel 550i - RichardW
I like your answer ND. A lot!!! However, I would spend the fist £75 or so on either IAM or ROSPA advanced driving which is the best insurance against getting a speeding ticket.

We\'ve all got perfectly good radar detectors built in - they\'re called eyes. If everybody obeyed speed limits for, say, 3 months:

a) speed cameras would dissapear in short time
b) the country would grind to a halt prompting a review of insane speed limits (what, exactly, makes a faceless beauracrat in some windowless office better able to tell me what is a safe speed on a road I am driving on and can see?)
c) it would become crystal clear that the \"speed kills\" slogan is much too simplistic.

Oh, and before I get flamed, I am not whiter than white - I tend to cruise at 80 indicated on the m-way, and 65-70 on NSL roads where appropriate. I do, however, always try to obey the limits where I am likely to get a ticket eg 30 in town, 40 / 50 on dual carriageways - and so far touch wood no nasty surprises in the post in the last 6 years / 120,000 miles. I also live in Southern Scotland where there are about 3 speed cameras within 100 miles......

I expect this thread will swell the ranks of one of the speeding threads shortly! {Correct. DD}

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Bel 550i - patently
It is an interesting point, though. The problem is putting it into effect.

If we could do so, the loss of scamera revenue for 3 months would be only a minor benefit. More seriously, there would (sadly) still be accidents on the roads - we all know that. What if that accident rate was not 1/3 lower? The statistical abuse that justifies the current approach to road safety and speed enforcement would then be exposed for what it is.

Can anyone think of a way to try it? I'd be game...
Bel 550i - teabelly
Starting a campaign on t'internet seems like the most sensible solution.

I'm sure HJ could get it going in the motoring section... that would get picked up by other papers. Someone like JC off Top Gear would be another one to approach.

Perhaps starting it at Easter would be a good time? I was going to suggest the whole of April but I am sure it would have been mistaken for an april fool!

The tricky bit would be enforcement. There will be lots of people out there who think they're too important to stick to speed limits so those are the ones you would need to target. But I assume if you get enough people to do it then even on motorways the speeders wouldn't be able to speed as everyone would be moving in convoy. Which would create probably more danger than the normal motorway speeds so I would suggest that on multiple lane highways the inner lane goes at 60, middle at 65 and outer at an indicated 70. The argument then becomes how far out one's speedo is and whether you mean an actual 70 mph (absolute) or an indicated 70 (variable from vehicle to vehicle).

An idea to pursue I think though.
teabelly
Bel 550i - Mark (RLBS)
I must be missing something here...

Surely if everybody stops speeding then the cameras will be held up as a resounding success ? then they'll need to stay, then they'll need to be paid for but the money will come out of taxation rather than "fines".
Bel 550i - SR
Mark,

And it would be extremely unfair to take the money out of taxation, which is applied to everone, as opposed to "fines" which only apply to the guilty, wouldn't it?
Bel 550i - patently
I must be missing something here...

Mark,

The point is sadly a somewhat macabre one.

Speed cameras are justifed on the grounds that "speed kills". That statement is an oversimplification of the statistical conclusion that excessive speed is a factor in one third of accidents. That conclusion is, in turn, an upwards rounding of the 30% figure obtained by adding together a wide range of factors to which accidents were attributed, in surveys given to police officers attending road accidents. Those factors included 7.3% attributed to "excessive speed", but also include others ranging from "Failure to judge other persons path or speed" (10.7%) to "Weather" (0.8%) and "Other" (0.4%).

If we all observe speed limits but people keep on dying, or (at least) if the death toll drops by less than one third (say, 7.3% for example), then the fallacy of the "speed kills" message will be plainly exposed.

At present, HMG can point to the rising level of speeding tickets to explain why the death toll is not dropping - we are still speeding, speed kills, so people are dying.

If no (or very few) speeding tickets are issued for a protracted period then the absence of a significant drop in the death toll would be inexplicable if current policy is correct.

Alternatively, if the death toll did plummet then I for one would be shocked into a serious adjustment of my views on road safety.
Bel 550i - Mark (RLBS)
I see your point, but........

>>Alternatively, if the death toll did plummet then I for one would be shocked into a serious adjustment of my views on road safety.

Firstly, it probably would. As soon as everybody was paying attention and finding it all fun and interesting, accidents would drop. Its a pretty fundamental fact that measuring a change almost always results in an improvement.

It would return to previous levels of course, but for a period of time the accidents/injuries/deaths would drop. Not because people were driving slower, but because they were more interested and paying more attention.

However, the drop, however caused, would seal cameras in for ever.

In the event that the rates stayed the same or increased, then this would be held to be the fault of the \"irresponsible and dangerous\" protestors.

There is only one thing that will reduce/remove the cameras and that is public opinion especially insofar as it affects politicians.

Bear in mind it is a struggle to argue against one specific fact - that being that *any* accident would be less severe if the involved vehicles had been travelling more slowly. That is a fact. Of course, its incomplete and misleading, but when did that ever worry a politican. And what\'s more, there are responsible, mature, respectable people in this country who firmly believe in reducing the speed of cars. It matters not that their logic is flawed or wrong, it matters not that they take an unreasonable stand. It matters only that they believe it and that they are vocal.

The only way to win is to be more numerous and more vocal. That pretty much means that the attitude to your local politician is along the lines of \"I don\'t care what the stats say, I don\'t care what logic says, I will not vote for you if you don\'t take that camera out\".

Now, if he hears that often enough, he\'ll decide he needs to do it. At that point he\'ll find all the arguments, facts, figures, statistics that he needs without anybody having to convince him of their validity.

The problem with a large single protest is that the views heard on the media will, at best, be evenly split between the agrees and the disagrees. Because its interesting, then people will have an opinion. And in the interest of \"even-handed\" reporting then the views will be given equal airtime or whatever - making the event a waste of time, or at least ineffectual.

On the other hand, endless campaigns in newspapers, noticeboards, letters to politicians etc etc will not arouse the interest of those who disagree sufficiently for them to take up arms in defence of cameras, but will hammer the politicians where it hurts.

And to an extent that is happening. Of course there are always bogus clowns who do more harm than good; but a lot of the people raising awareness on this are normal people, and that\'s what you need.
Bel 550i - patently
I'm not sure the accident rate would decline.

I agree that drivers would then be concentrating, but on what? I suspect that most of their focus would be on the speedo, not on the surroundings. That is not conducive to safety, to say the least.

There was a "safety" advert in Stockport which urged people to stick to 30mph exactly, and which was pulled on the quite reasonable grounds that it was in fact an unsafe way in which to drive. The reference is:

www.safespeed.org.uk/stockportad.html

Please do read the reply on the right hand side - it is truly inspired and I only wish I could write with such wit.

So a reduction in accidents would not be guaranteed, I think.

I completely agree with your reasoned dissociation of politics, facts, and statistics. The only aspect of that subject which I fail to understand is why politicians (a) act like this all the time and (b) ask why the rest of the UK population is so apathetic and disenchanted with politics.
Bel 550i - SR
Agree with some, if not all, of what RichardW says...

I would suggest the "faceless bureaucrat" might know the history of that section of road, including accidents, injuries, deaths, profiles of traffic types and speeds, and maybe even the safe speed the road was designed to allow. He might also know how likely it is that there will be slow-moving farm vehicles attempting to turn in or out of partially-obscured lanes, or how awkward the junction ahead is for traffic trying to get out of a side road. None of these are obvious to a driver judging solely on the basis of what he can see at one point in time, but some people have the responsibility of taking into account more than one person's viewpoint.

My quibble, however, is that he will probably be forced to set the limit below what would be regarded as a safe speed because so many people habitually break speed limits anyway. So those who break the limit cause the artificially lower speed limits, then complain about them.....