Mercedes 230E steering lock/leads - MW
We had our 1992 230E 124 Mercedes broken into last week via a smashed rear quarter light. Not much taken and a steering wheel security bar probably helped. The insurance put a new window in and all is now well. In previous cars I have used a very good red flashing dummy 'car alarm light' that works by using a positive power source from the radio supply, and connecting to one of the leads going into the back of the steering wheel lock. When the car is running, this is energized ie. positive, and with the other positive lead gives 2 positives so the light will not work. When switched off, we have a dead lead ie. negative earth, and the red light automatically flashes.
My problem is getting to the back of the steering lock which seems to involve removing vast amounts of dashboard (does it). Is there another way I can pick up another positive lead that will go dead when the engine is switched off, so the light will automatically flash. I thought possibly the fuse box (which lead and which side), but I don't want to mess up any dangerous and delicate electrics. Any ideas?.
Mercedes 230E steering lock/leads - NormanB
I think the feed to the cigarette lighter is dead when iognitiono off.
Mercedes 230E steering lock/leads - Aprilia
I *think* you will find that there is a junction unit (with screw and eyelet terminals) behind the kick plate at the side of the driver's right foot (i.e. by the accelerator pedal). There are ground and switched/unswitched live terminals there.