New gritting lorry - henry k
Kingston. Surrey

Just followed a new gritting lorry.
It had the usual large hopper design but had white not pink residue around the bodywork. I then noticed large translucent tanks along its flanks under the sides of the hopper with lots of fluid slopping around in them.

Is this the latest super melting brew?
Anyone have more details on what it is, how it works and the pros and cons against the familiar pink blasting rock salt type stuff?
New gritting lorry - GrumpyOldGit
It's brine - salt solution. That's what they spray before it freezes to try to prevent ice forming. They grit after freezing or snow.
New gritting lorry - Flat in Fifth
Are you sure its not urea? Much more reliable brew for dealing with freezing roads.

(then again they could just be taking the pee ;)
New gritting lorry - Martin Devon
It's brine - salt solution. That's what they spray before it
freezes to try to prevent ice forming. They grit after freezing
or snow.

I was informed by a member of the local Highway Authority that gritting afterwards had limited effect!

Regards you chilly lot!
New gritting lorry - L'escargot
They grit after freezing
or snow.

I thought that the gritters went out as soon as there was a forecast of frost or snow, not after it had happened. Or am I missimg the point........
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
New gritting lorry - Civic8
Cannot be certain but gather water`ed down salt during spreading covers a larger area.Ie years ago 3.5 ozs used to cover 1 square metre which is not a lot of salt per sq/metre
if water is applied during spread of salt would increase by 3times the amount needed.I gather that is how it`s done but then only a person that drives a gritter can confirm.interesting to hear of replie`s