brake problem - Pug 405 td - pienmash
when i press the brake pedal i hear a sound like a hissing noise,in morning on a cold start the brake pedal is really hard,any suggestions car is a pug405 td
brake problem - Pug 405 td - autumnboy
Most likely its your vacuum pump, building up vacuum for the brake servo.
But your brake should not be hard from standing over night unless you have a leak somewhere or a faulty valve in the servo.
many thanks autumnboy,i owe you a drink mate.
brake problem - Pug 405 td - DL
It'll be a faulty servo - a common failure on older 405's

Pig of a job to fit, to boot!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
brake problem - Pug 405 td - Peter D
Yes if the hissing sound is everytime you brake then I'm afraid the diaphram is slit and leaking, new one required this is a safety issue. Regards Peter
does servo mean master cylinder,stupid question ,but i am young and i will learn.
brake problem - Pug 405 td - Crinkly Dave
The servo is a large circular vessel which bolts onto the bulkhead inside the engine compartment,and the master cylinder bolts onto it.
The servo multiplies the force you apply to the pedal, so that the master cylinder rod is forced harder into the cylinder and increases the braking effort
The master cylinder will be identified by the hydraulic pipes leading to it from the brakes. The servo will be identified from the flexible pipe linking it to the inlet manifold on a petrol engine, or in your case to an exhauster (a vacuum pump) operated by one of the drive belts or from the end of the cambelt
brake problem - Pug 405 td - Dynamic Dave
does servo mean master cylinder

auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake.htm