The Systems Problems Thread 1 - Godfrey H {P}
HJ,Ok I'll have a go. I think the first thing to do is check to see if you have a trojan on your PC. I take it you are running a good firewall and you are up to date with all the Microsoft security patches?
Go to this URL and download Spybot Search & destroy:
www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=spybotsd

Install it, and before you run it update the database.

Also go to this URL and get AdAware:
www.lavasoft.de/support/download/#free

Again install it, update it and run it.

Feel free to get back to me by email if you are still having problems.
regards
Godfrey H
The Systems Problems Thread 1 - Martin Devon
HJ,Ok I'll have a go. I think the first thing to
do is check to see if you have a trojan on
your PC. I take it you are running a good firewall
and you are up to date with all the Microsoft security
patches?
Go to this URL and download Spybot Search & destroy:
www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=spybotsd
Install it, and before you run it update the database.
Also go to this URL and get AdAware:
www.lavasoft.de/support/download/#free
Again install it, update it and run it.
Feel free to get back to me by email if you
are still having problems.
regards
Godfrey H

Godfrey,

Sorry to be thick, but what do you mean, "and before you run it update the database."

regards
The Systems Problems Thread 1 - Godfrey H {P}
Martin, like all anti-virus and trojan hunter software Sbybot has a database with the definitions of the nasties in it. The nasties are multiplying all the time so the initial download won't be up to date. I could have put it better and said before you use the scan option use the get updates option first.

GH
The Systems Problems Thread 1 - Martin Devon
Martin, like all anti-virus and trojan hunter software Sbybot has a
database with the definitions of the nasties in it. The nasties
are multiplying all the time so the initial download won't be
up to date. I could have put it better and said
before you use the scan option use the get updates option
first.
GH

Very Many Thanks. Computer dependant...Computer illiterate!!

Regards.
Blank window problem - Godfrey H {P}
HJ have a look at: www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#blank_windo...s

But do the other things first!
Blank window problem - Citroënian {P}
Godfrey,

Top marks for the detective work and solutions. Hope it sorts out HJ's problems.

Good karma!

Lee.
--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
Blank window problem - Hugo {P}
Moving on from the Top Tip provided by No Dosh on pop up messages appearing;

As ND says it is a windows setting that allows this to happen, I am running windows XP, and found the route a little different to NDs suggested route.

I tackled this in the following way:

Clisck on the START button and click RUN

Type in "services.msc" and then click OK

You are then presented with a menu, scroll doen and click on "Messenger" You will see it has a status as "Started" This is what you want to change.

Double click on this and you will be presented with a menu

Click on GENERAL then click on STOP.

At this point I did do something else as well but I cannot remember what it was. All I know is that the APPLY button became active and I clicked on this. The result is that my messanger is now stopped. I think I went into one of the other tabs on the messanger menu and changed it from there as well.

When you close down the menu, you will see messanger on the list WITHOUT the STARTED statement under the STATUS column.

Reboot your machine and kiss goodbye to all thoes pop ups.

Again, thanks to ND who steered me in the right direction (despite the fact that he hates Discos! - We can't all be perfect :) )

Hugo

"Forever indebted to the experience of others - yes OK, including you ND!"
The Systems Problems Thread 1 - Dalglish
>>>> Connected to www.honestjohn.co.uk , Instead of live pop-ups in the left-hand
corner I get an empty pop-up entitled "about blank:windows explorer". I
also get it instead of the processing payment window when I'm
trying to pay a bill on the PC via a "secure"
connection.
As well as that if I ever try to print anything
direct from the internet I get a scripting error warning.

HJ:

1. which version of IE are you using: ie5, 5.5 or 6.0sp1 ?

2. re your lost file. click start, find, files or folders and type in name of file. this should bring up the exe file. double click on it to install repair.

3. re your other problems. it seems to me your browser or firewall settings for privacy and/or security could have some or all of the following items disabled -
* ActiveX scripts
* Java & VB scripts
* Java applets

these are found in IE under tools/internetoptions/ and are also found in your firewall (location depends on firewall).
RPC stub problem - Godfrey H {P}
To run the mcrepair fix just click on it. This fix ONLY applies if you have Microsoft Office 2000 or an office 2000 component on your system.
RPC stub problem - Dalglish
HJ:
i will quote from just one of many other people who had the same problem, and how they fixed theirs.

Problem:

Internet Explorer Script Error - help! posted by Rita on October 12, 2002 at 1:01 pm:
Line:228
Char:1
Error:Incompatable version of the RPC stub.
Code:0
URL:res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/preveiw.dlg
This is the error message i get when trying to print on the IE6 or Outlook Express---I am using Win98 (not SE )
I can print if i highlight then Point & copy go to Word pad & paste it in !!!

solution:

posted by Leon Soski on May 23, 2003 at 9:44 pm:
I started getting this particular error message after trying to get rid of another one. This is what I did today and it seems to be working:
1. Go to control panel and add/remove programs
2. Choose to uninstall your internet explorer. Another window will come up and give you three options. Choose the one that says to restore the previous one. It sent me back to explorer 5. Follow the directions to restart.
3. After restarting check to see if you can print or whatever problem you had is still there. If your problem is gone go back to microsoft.com and install the explorer 6 (or whichever you wanted).

in other words, you need to repair or unistall/re-install IE6 sp1 plus the latest cumulative patch.

HJ can you go to this URL please:
office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/default.aspx?CTT...3

Under Office Update and Click check for updates.
I haven't received your HijackThis logs as yet
Tough one this can you also download and install this script update at:
tinyurl.com/7zh0
OK classic Microsoft drop off you neeed the older version of
dispex.dll
Tough one this can you also download and install this script update at:
tinyurl.com/7zh0

When it says do you want to replace dispex.dll with an older version click yes.
Suggestions for Broadband - Dynamic Dave
I\'ve just discovered that at long last, Broadband is now available in my area.

Debating who to go with. Currently with Freeserve, on the AnyTime tarriff. Been with them since the start just over 5 yrs ago. Do I stay with them, better the devil you know and all that, or do I change ISP\'s.

FS, currently £27.99 per month.
BT, currently £27 per month.
Pipex, currently £23.41 per month.

With FS and BT, free modem and connection, but with Pipex you have to pay a one off fee of £17.57 for the modem and 2 micro filters.

Are there any other better deals on offer?
Suggestions for Broadband - malteser
Try going to the following www.the-scream.co.uk/ and follow the link to "Forums" You will find a pretty good lot of info there!
Suggestions for Broadband - teabelly
Don't touch BT openworld with a barge pole! I was with them and they are appalling! The customer service is terrible and the quality of their network is also terrible. During the early evening for months on end it was impossible to even do basic internet browsing and they didn't do a thing about it.

www.adslguide.org.uk is the best website for comparing broadband providers as they have isp forums so you can see who has the most complaints!

Eclipse, pipex, plusnet and nildram are all decent and reasonably priced providers. I'm with nildram and their network is excellent. Their customer support people have brains and aren't reading from scripts which makes diagnosing problems much easier! I had a dial up account with plusnet and they're pretty good. Their portal thing is excellent.

If you've been happy with your freeserve dial up then I would probably stick with them.
teabelly
Suggestions for Broadband - Hugo {P}
Tiscali are under £20 a month IIRC

Hugo
Suggestions for Broadband - smokie
Tiscali offer 3 levels of "Broadband". Same level as BT etc is £24.99 pm.

By all means read forums and gather other peoples comments about their service, but bear in mind that many of these forums only survive as a place to whinge. I remember an NTL forum being swamped at one stage when NTL threatened to impose an average 1Gb per day download cap. I am active most of the day on mine, but 1Gb AVERAGE (over a month) is going a bit...

btw I have had NTL cable for some years now. Very occasional service outages (maybe quarterly). Occasional technical problems (slow browsing (every two months). Occasional mail performance problems (quarterly). All problems usually addressed pretty quickly, and they seem to be improving all the time. I'd recommend NTL if you are in scope (but then again - some specific districts seem to have had endless problems...)
Suggestions for Broadband - Kevin
Teabelly,

I've been with BT Openworld for about two years (installed and paid for by my employer) and I've had no problems at all. Even though I'm further away from the exchange than they normally allow, there's been no connection problems and the network speed lives up to expectations.

The standard BT USB modem is due to be replaced this weekend with a Netgear wireless router/modem so that I can sit in the garden with my laptop and freeze to death.

Kevin...
Suggestions for Broadband - Civic8
As kevin said.Apart from I pay for it but close to exchange.never had a problem been on it for almost a year.
I shant be moving isp`s.Heard of many probs with ntl though.
Suggestions for Broadband - billy25
DD,
i think there is a computer questions thread now!!

:-)

billy.
Suggestions for Broadband - frostbite
I can echo the advice (thankfully seconhand)about not going with BT. A friend who has had this for over a year finds it very nearly unusable - he is actually envious of my FS Anytime!

Tiscali have a lot of disgruntled customers for various reasons, and their bb service is graduated 128/256/512, so apparent cheapness may be illusory.

Pipex, IIRC, were voted #1 by their customers.
DD, i think there is a computer questions thread now!! :-)

In reply to Billy:-

I did consider posting there, but to quote HJ from the Systems Problems Thread; "This is a new thread to allow systems problems, bugs, viruses, etc" A 50/50 call, so posted it here instead. Besides which, IHAQ, Vol 33 hadn't been posted to for a couple of days and had gone over to page 2 of the forums, so I was bringing it back up to the top of the list again. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;o)

Pipex, IIRC, were voted #1 by their customers.

In reply to Frostbite:-

That is why I'm debating changing over to Pipex. They carry the same newsgroups that I currently subscribe to, and several people in those groups have defected from Freeserve to Pipex and have posted positive results. It's the one off payment for the modem and micro-filters, whereas other ISP's are giving them away for free that is making me unsure. I suppose the saving of £4.55 a month over Freeserve's prices would pay for that in approx 4 months though.

Just looking at the FS website, I see they're offering a *free* 30 day trial with their Broadband service.

Will make some enquires in the morning.
Suggestions for Broadband - No Do$h
I toyed with moving this post just wind to Dave up.... then thought better of it.

0:o)
No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Suggestions for Broadband - Mark (RLBS)
so was I, and I didn\'t think better of it !
so was I, and I didn\'t think better of it !

Well look who\'s only been back 5 mins and already exercising his \"move\" button. I\'ve got one as well, don\'t forget.
Suggestions for Broadband - Baskerville
I use Demon and am very pleased with them. Their customer service is excellent, the pipe itself is totally reliable, the anti-spam system seems very solid and they have cool free services, such as fax-to-email. You get a unique fax number and people can send faxes to it as normal. The faxes arrive in your email inbox as image files. With webmail this means you can get faxes anywhere on earth.

All this for £24.99 a month.
Suggestions for Broadband - DavidHM
Dave - don't get the Pipex £90 modem. You'll be scammed out of at least £60.

I was with Pipex and am going back to them due to my current ISP's non-exisent service. There is no need to use the supplied modem - it's just a standard DSL modem they give you and any one will do. If you're confident with changing the settings, they'll happily give them out over the phone.

Oh and eBuyer.com has two filters for £2 plus postage. A modem with them is £15.99 + VAT so the total bill is likely to be somewhere in the region of £24 for the whole set, a bit better than the £90-odd Pipex want.
Dave - don\'t get the Pipex £90 modem. You\'ll be
scammed out of at least £60.

DavidHM,

Thanks for that, but Pipex are now offering a modem and two filters within the \"getting started fee\", which is £17.57

www.dsl.pipex.net/adsl/sales/solutions/residential...0

www.dsl.pipex.net/adsl/sales/solutions/residential...l
Tip for dealing with Mydoom problems - Godfrey H {P}
One of the problems of the current problems created by the current Mydoom virus is that it creates bogus return addresses (as do many viruses) so that when the mail with the virus email gets bounced,innocent parties in the bogus return address get the bounce message. I offer this suggestion for dealing with the problem.

1.Deliberately create a message with a gobbledegook "To" address and send it.

2.Have a look at the resultant bounce message from your ISP and pick out a unique part of the message which identifies it as a "bounced" message.

3.Use your anti-spam software to create a rule for bounced messages to put them in a separate "bounced messages" folder.

That should then separate your bounce messages from the genuine stuff and enable to get on with your business.

Dons Nomex suit and waits for flames
Tip for dealing with Mydoom problems - Baskerville
Surely the problem with this is that they are not bouncing from the same ISP, or indeed *your* ISP, because you didn't send them. So picking a unique marker that is also a unique marker from all other ISPs will be tricky unless you do extensive testing. To do that you'd need to write a small program that propagates itself in as many machines as possible then automatically sends emails from those machines and reports back to you the data contained in bounced messages. But hang on a minute...

The antivirus companies are making this worse by making software that bounces infected emails from servers: I only received bounced messages, so my machine wouldn't have been exposed if it hadn't been for antivirus software. (No, it isn't infected).
Tip for dealing with Mydoom problems - Godfrey H {P}
Good point, but worth looking at the headers with care, don't open any attachments.
Tip for dealing with Mydoom problems - No Do$h
Itchy trigger finger, Godfrey? Four identical posts has to be a record!

[reaches for delete button]

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Oops sorry about multiple posts. - Godfrey H {P}
LOL, no not itchy finger, that'll teach me to install non-critical Microsoft Updates PFD'd the PC well and truly. Had to remove updates hence delayed apology.
Tip for dealing with Mydoom problems - alan kearn
For what i consider by far the best free computer help site on the web do a search for "techguy" and take note of the number of the replies of some of the people who help you.
Viruses (Virii?) - No problem - frostbite
My unscientific approach over many years on the 'net has been:-

No AV software other than that provided by the mobo maker to protect the BIOS.

Leave my address book empty and simply use the Inbox or Sentbox to recall addresses.

It's worked so far - no virus scans have found anything.