Omega Trade In - PST
From an earlier thread I've decided to get rid of the Omega and get an Impreza WRX. I went to a dealer today and now the fun starts...

Generally impressed with the dealer - very helpful and not pushy and ready to talk deals. He looked at the Omega and gave me the values from his copy of Glass's against a new WRX. He even phoned his 'trade contact' to verify the price.

However, I knew I was going to take a hit but he was quoting £6500 trade in on a 2001 X reg Omega 3.0 Elite (Leather) 53K miles. He'd give me an extra £1000 against the WRX.

I've just been on to the Glass's link and got the following figures:

Trade in - excellent: £ 8,540.00
Trade in - average: £ 7,620.00
Trade in - below average: £ 6,680.00
Retail price: £ 11,200.00

He said the car was 'mint' condition. So I assume there's a fast one being pulled unless there are different versions of Glass's? Any advice appreciated

Paul
Omega Trade In - Imagos
Hmmm.. that seems a bit lowish to me..

i'd push for at least 7500 or possibly more.
Omega Trade In - T Lucas
Thing is whats he going to do with the Omega and at what price?
Omega Trade In - Aprilia
Unless you are confident you could sell it privately for more then frankly I would bite his hand off.
These guides are only 'guides'. No one wants Omegas because of their reputation. I wouldn't buy it at £5.5k, never mind £6.5k. Go for it before he changes his mind.
Omega Trade In - PST

Aprilia

I don't want the hassle of selling it privately. The dealer, so he told me, will just put it into auction - I assume the Glass's trade in prices are only relevant if the car is going to be put up for sale on the dealer's forecourt and there would be a different range of prices (not available to the consumer) for auction values.

I'm aware of the reputation - that's why I want to offload it - just wanted some feedback as to whether I was being ripped off or not. From what you're saying it sounds reasonable.

Thanks
Paul
Omega Trade In - Aprilia
Well, you've got to look at the overall deal. You say he is giving £1000 extra against the WRX, so it doesn't sound too bad to me. A 3.0 Omega is not going to be easy to shift. The other option you have is to put it through the auction yourself, of course.
Omega Trade In - PST
The retail on the WRX is just under £20K. His Glass's figure for PX was £6.6K - he'll give a discount of £1K on the WRX (or add it to the PX) so I've got a cost to change of £12.4K. If I didn't have a PX I would think I could still get £1K off the Subaru so it all boils down to what I can get for the Omega.

But I agree it won't be easy to shift privately and I guess I'd be lucky to get much more than he's offered. I'll call round a few other dealers and then make a decision.

Interestingly he also showed me the consignment note/invoice for the new WRX from Subaru Japan - it looked cosher and showed a discount to the dealer of just 6% which is what he gave me.

Paul
Omega Trade In - Martin Wall
Interestingly he also showed me the consignment note/invoice for the new WRX from Subaru Japan - it looked cosher and showed a discount to the dealer of just 6% which is what he gave me.

Sure, but he will also get manufacturer bonuses for selling cars also - e.g. sell 10 cars get £500 a car, sell 15 get £750 a car, etc.

The figures are (obviously!) fictional but I believe that manufacturer bonuses are stnadrd throughout the industry.

Where a car is difficult to sell or coming to the end of its lifetime with a new model due, these bonuses will be that much bigger.
Omega Trade In - DavidHM
I agree with Aprilia. This car wouldn't be stickered up at any more than £8995 and most dealers would be positively happy to get £8k for it. With at least two people having to make some profit from it, £6,500 is a more than fair trade-in.
Omega Trade In - tube
i have a s plate omega 2.6cdx fsh went to a main dealer for px on a 03 monedo he offered me 3800 on it did not shake on it checked on the webb site the car was £500 cheaper,went back he said i could have the car at cheaper price but would knock 500 of px i walked away, i would push for at least £7600 his trade contact was probly his mate. hold firm on price or walk away plenty more cars about.
good luck
Omega Trade In - PST
Ah - coincidence HJ.

I bought the car from DK Car Sales about 18 months ago so speculatively gave them a call on Saturday morning. They sounded pretty busy so I said I'd call back Monday.

I'm sure it'd be easier for me to negotiate on something else without the PX - too many variables for my brain.

Paul
Omega Trade In - PST
HJ - that's very much appreciated. I'll keep an eye/ear out.

Paul