'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - arnold2
Need to replace Corolla's tyres, and as I do stellar mileage they need to be of the energy-saving variety...

Which would HJ readers choose -

The original Michelin Energy tyres had poor roadholding characteristics, but good life (rears have lasted 110k!). Then tried Goodyear GT3's on the front - better road manners, but they make a nasty resonant noise ...

So choice: (175/65/14, T or above)

* CONTINENTAL ECO CONTACT
* TOYO CLEANPROXES E10
* YOKOHAMA S306
* BRIDGESTONE B330 / B391

any other ? !
'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - edisdead {P}
arnold2, I have just acquired a pair of Conti EcoContacts for my Civic, I have yet to fit them but i shall let you know how i get on.
Ed.
'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - arnold2
cheers - the EcoContacts rated well in the reviews I read, apart from wear, but I suspect a tyre that has very low wear also has poorer handling characteristcs... !
'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - madf
Firestones fuel saving tyre has poor grip: I suspect all others are the same...

madf

'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - SpamCan61 {P}
I've often wondered about this : surely grip is inversely proportional to rolling resistance (two sides of the same coin), hence you can't have more of both.

Which in turn made me wonder if I would get the same effect as an 'eco' tyre by running my normal tyres at the upper end of the pressure range. This would presumably minimise rolling resistance and hence maximise economy? Obviously grip would be reduced; but only by the same amount as the 'eco' tyre for the same rolling resistance?
'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - dieselhead

my view is 'eco' tyres reduce rolling resistance by using thinner sidewalls than conventional tyres - this reduces the energy lost in the rubber as it deflects and rebounds again (hysteresis loss)

Increasing tyre pressure would stiffen sidewalls (reduce hysteresis loss) but drastically reduce grip as the tyre would not be able to deflect and make proper contact with the road. 'Eco' type tyres are able to deform and give good grip but the energy lost is less.

The penalty for this could be worse handling - the tyre may 'roll' more when cornering and give less positive steering control.

'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - Dr Rubber
To get technical (and a slightly long post):

Tyre design is a compromise between three factors, rolling resistance, tread-wear and traction. This forms what is known on the trade as the "golden triangle", with tyre designers trying to get the maximum value on all three axis. A lot of the input for the triangle comes from the rubber compound, but the actual tyre design plays a part.

A low rolling resistance tyre usually a low hysteresis rubber compound that results in less heat build up (lower rolling resistance). By happy coicidence for the tyre makers, the ingredient that does this (silica) also tends to improve traction. Lower sidewalls also reduce energy losses, and stiffens the tyre so it corners better.

Wet grip is usually tread pattern related (although the compound plays a part)

Treadwear is compound related - a soft compound usually grips really well, but wears increadibly fast (pirelli's often work on this principle), and a harder compound has worse grip, but wears better.

Running at incorrect pressures is not recomended as it alters the contact patch. This either increases wear (underinflation), or reduces grip (overinflation). Incorrect pressures can also lead to blowouts. Remember, the contact patch that holds you onto the road is the size of your hand!

Hope this helps

Joe

(I don't work for a tyre company, just a firm that supplies a key ingredient!)
'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - SpamCan61 {P}
OK thanks for that chaps; I couldn't get my head round how you could achieve lower rolling resistance without compromising grip, that's clear now. :-)
'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - Malcolm_L
Agree - I tried the Michelin energy tyres which did last longer than the previous Michelin's but the trade off wasn't worth it.

IIRC, wet weather adhesion was very uninspiring.
'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - CM
cheers - the EcoContacts rated well in the reviews I read,
apart from wear, but I suspect a tyre that has very
low wear also has poorer handling characteristcs... !

I have had EcoContacts for a long time. On my old BMW 325tds I did about 30k on the rears and the fronts did about 48k.

As far as hard wearing tyres, I once got ripped off by a French tyre company who fitted some tyres designed for snow on my Volvo 340. They were fine in the dry but as soon as there was any rain they would not have any grip at all. I was quite impressed that after 30k miles they still looked new!!
'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - Andrew-T
I would confirm CM's remarks about Conti EcoContacts. I just bought a new one to twin with my original unused spare dated mid-99, so that I could use that before it got still older. Originals were French, new one German, but otherwise identical. They did 18K on the rear before I moved them to the front, and at 32K still have 5mm tread. I can't report any poor grip characteristics.

Cost £45 fitted etc. at ATS, for 185/65/14 T.
'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - Blue {P}
5mm tread after 32K!?!?

Even spread over from rear to front tyre use, that's sounds wonderful! What car is that on?

My Premium Contacts are heading rapidly towards replacement time and they've only covered 10K, no unusal tyre wear either.

I'll be putting the same tyre back on though, they have exhibited brilliant handling on the Fiesta and I wouldn't want to compromise it by putting some rubbish tyres on...

Blue
'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - bikemade3
I had Avon CR322 on the rear of my mondeo estate ( 185/65/r14) and for £40 fitted think they are pretty good.Do not know if they do them in your size i got them from the AA
As other people have said previously ref Michelins, for the money paid I think that they are not worth it.Poor grip in the wet and i had to replace one on the nearside after 11k ( NO WHEEL SPINNING)very odd wear rate and the car suspension/tracking was spot on. Aparantely Goodyears are goodbut this all depends on the speed rating you need.
'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - Andrew-T
Blue - car is the 306 HDi that everyone on this site must be tired of reading about by now. I bought it at 18K and the original fronts had been replaced by another make, so I don't know how worn they had been. I swapped front & rear at about 25K, and checked all 4 last week before buying the new tyre: 5mm all round.

It'll be interesting to see if French and German versions wear at the same rate.
'Low Energy' Tyre Choice ? - edisdead {P}
Right, I've now got the Continentals on the front wheels of the Civic and they've done 200 miles.
I'm not sure if it's posssible to 'review' these tyres as the only comparison I can make is against the previous pair of worn Firestones which had done approx 40k.
For what it's worth, I'm very pleased with the Continentals. I've noticed a drastic reduction in road noise over the Firestones, and I don't believe the handling characteristics have been adversely affected by this choice of tyre.
HTH,
Ed.