Manhole covers - runboy
An observation.

Why do the vast majority of manhole covers/services covers, call them whatever, have to be positioned in the road so that vehicle wheels always drive over them?

It means a bumpy ride, can't be good for emergency vehicles driving fast, must wear the covers down and causes "clanking" noises which upsets local residents.

Why can't they be placed in the middle of a lane?
Manhole covers - matt35 {P}
runboy,

Not directly relevant to your question, but about 30 years ago I was driving up a very steep hill in Blackburn Lancs behind a struggling cyclist, up on his toes on the bike.

There was a warning sign "Raised manhole covers".

It brought tears to my eyes!

Matt35
Manhole covers - martint123

They cause a much greater problem for motorbikes (esp when wet).
Manhole covers - Doc
>> Why do the vast majority of manhole covers/services covers, call them
whatever, have to be positioned in the road so that vehicle
wheels always drive over them?

Manhole covers provide access to services, usually drains and sewers, below the road surface.
They need to be positioned directly above the service in question.
Therefore, their location is dictated by the route of the service below, which does not always coincide with the road route.

Manhole covers - Sunday Driver
Further to this,
I dunno which bright spark decided to change the shape from round to square. Round one can't be dropped down the hole!!!
Manhole covers - THe Growler
In the rainy season in the Philippines 2-3 ft of water in the streets is normal. In order to clear it quicker, chaps come around and take all the manhole covers out......
Manhole covers - helicopter
Manhole covers and frames are usually Cast Iron and I have bought thousands in my time in my previous employment in Civil Engineering many moons ago.
The clanking noise is when they are looser than they should be due to wear and tear of the road and need to be re -set by the local authority.
They come in all shapes , not just round and square and IIRC there was one called the 'Ner Rok' which was a sort of clover leaf shape.
They have to go where the services are underneath the old roads but if you look at modern motorways you will see that you have all the drainage and service ducts etc at the sides.
Famous manufacturers names to spot are Stantons, Broads and Dover Engineering who were the Rolls Royce of manhole covers in my day but of course standards have fallen.....
Whats that noise - sounds like yawning....
Manhole covers - Ian (Cape Town)
chaps come around and take all the manhole covers out......

We have the same problem - but we don't even have to wait for rain! The scrap dealers pay top dollar for all that cast iron...
Manhole covers - Robbie
And you think we have problems? What about this from Thailand.

Shabby drain covers need replacing

Dear Sirs,
In this week?s Pattaya Mail there is a photo of Pattaya Mayor Pairat inspecting and condemning the drain covers in Jomtien Beach. We have a much worse situation that has existed since drain covers were installed in the street formerly called Moo 6 Naklua, but lately called Soi 34 Sukhumvit, and the street running from North Road from the bus depot to Center Road.

The drain covers installed on both sides of these streets were evidentially fabricated in the contractor?s backyard, as they would not comply with any building code in the world. Concrete with two PVC holes for drains in the cover, these started collapsing immediately after traffic was allowed.

There have been many accidents with cars and motorcycles hitting these exposed holes after the covers disintegrated. The covers are then replaced with another ?Band Aid? cover that is another home fabricated steel atrocity. The correct covers should be factory fabricated steel covers that are approved for vehicular traffic. Who inspected and approved these hazardous drain covers?

Lately, these approved covers have been installed on the extended road from Moo 6 to Third Road.

Mr. Mayor, please inspect these hazardous covers and have them replaced with the approved covers.
Frank Mack