1993 Micra - wet passenger footwell - Munky
Recently noticed that my Micra has developed a water leak which appears to be coming from behind the soundproofing material in the passenger footwell and seeping under the carpet. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Local garage has had a look but couldn't find where the water was getting in.

Anyone heard of other Micras with the same problem?
1993 Micra - wet passenger footwell - Marcos{P}
My wifes Focus developed a small pond in the passenger footwell a couple of months ago. I had a look and found that where the water runs down the windscreen it hits a plastic shield that covers the wiper mechanism and internal air filter. Basically it has been designed badly and when parked at an angle, drivers side lower than passengers, the water can make it's way round this and drips into a catch tray. The catch tray is at such a stupid angle that it does virtually nothing and deposits the water straight onto the filter which then soaks and runs into the car via the footwell vents. Just poor design.
Have a look in that sort of area and also try to remember if you had parked the car at any sort of angle recently when it was raining. Also check door seals as these sometimes leak and the water comes through at the bottom of the door. If you are lucky you can sometimes see water marks where the water has been running into the vehicle.
My car is usually parked on the street with the passenger side nearest the kerb and therefore slightly lower than the drivers side.

I'll have to look into this one.

Thank you for the reply.
1993 Micra - wet passenger footwell - Andrew-T
Where's the heater matrix in a Micra? Could that have sprung a leak? Does the coolant level drop, or is the leaking water discoloured?
Coolant level seems fine and the water in the footwell doesn't smell of anti-freeze. I suspect that it's rainwater as there does appear to be small deposits of grit/silt type material on the bare metal underneath the carpet.
1993 Micra - wet passenger footwell - Simon
>Anyone heard of other Micras with the same problem?

I am assuming your micra is the sqaure shape rather than the bubble shape. If you have a look from the outside you will see there is a grille directly in front of the windscreen in the centre of the scuttle panel. What tends to happen is that the rainwater obviously can fall through the grille and is supposed to then flow along a drainage channel and run out either side and exit somewhere under the wheel arches, but the seam which forms part of the drainage channel rots away until it goes into holes and thus the water ends up in the footwells.

If you take the carpet and soundproofing out and look up through a cut-out in the metal box section you should see the rotten seam.

I have seen this happen on another micra and so it would be a good place to start with in your quest to find the water leak.