Vauxhall 2.0 diesel DI engine - Barry
I'm thinking of buying an Astra fitted with this motor but I've heard from various sources including HJ that it can use more oil than most modern engines. Does anyone have any personal experiences with this motor, good or bad? Should I steer clear?
Re: Vauxhall 2.0 diesel DI engine - Alvin Booth
Hi barry,
I have a Vectra fitted with this engine designated as a DTi which means it has an i ntercooler fitted. I,m not sure if the intercooler is available on the Astra however it is exactly the same engine.
I have always gone for diesels and this particular engine is superb. It has power and smoothness with a perfectly matched turbo which is not always the case. You probably know that it has a chain driven camshaft and fly by wire accelerator.
As regards using oil I have seen this mentioned by HJ but have not found this to be excessive in any way. I have topped up between oil changes eith the occasional half pint but certainly nothing excessive. Remember a diesel takes many thousands to run in so many reports are a bit premature. I also have a maestro with a Perkins turbo diesel engine which I bought from new 8 years ago. I gave just done 60.000 miles with it and it has only recently stopped using oil completely.
The 2.0 diesel engine from vauxhall is the best engine I have known in 45 years of driving I cannot say more than that.
One little point if you get one....... When you dip the oil follow the handbook instructions. which says....." the oil level must be checked at normal operating temperatures allowing 5 minutes for the oil to drain down into the sump"
We all tend to think that a simple task dosn't need instructions. neither did I and what I found was that if you check it from cold as we tend to do, you get false readings on the dipstick and you keep repeating the job as you get such different readings every time. Do it as the handbook tells you and you get an accurate readiing every time. Very strange but true!!!!!
You will be very happy with this engine I am sure.

Alvin Booth
Re: Vauxhall 2.0 diesel DI engine - honestjohn
Alvin is dead right about his dipstick instructions. This turned out to be the real 'problem' with high oil consumption on the DI engine. Owners were dipping them before the oil had drained back and were then overfilling them and burning off the excess oil. It is extremely dangerous to overfill a diesel because the engine can start running on its sump oil and when it does that the only way to stop it is to forcibly stallit in gear against the brakes.

HJ