Pug 306TD tacho sensor/wiring - solara
Hi,

I had been experiencing intermittent problems with my tacho on my pug 306TD 1993, and on the advice of other threads, replaced the crankshaft TDC sensor. The replacement crankshaft sensor was sourced from gsf, and was for a citroen xantia 1.9td. I was told that this was a suitable replacement as engines were identical. Both parts looked much the same physically.

However, replacing the crankshaft sensor gave me no tacho reading. I then switched back to my original sensor, and still got no tacho reading. I suspect the problem is with the actual wiring from the tacho sensor plug/socket to the dashboard tacho unit. By the way the car runs fine, even with crankshaft sensor disconnected (appears to be solely used for tacho display, I have no EGR valve on my car).

Out of interest, I measured the resistance of both crankshaft TDC sensors, original=150 ohms, new=250 ohms. The reason I suspect the wiring is that when I measured the open circuit resistance of the socket connector (going to dashboard tacho unit), this was infinite. Is this correct, is it supposed to have a very high impedance? I would be very grateful if any other pug306 diesel owners (with tacho display) could measure the resistance of their tacho unit (with crankshaft sensor disconnected). This plug/socket connection is below the fuel filter, and has a 3 plug connector, with the two left most pins only used.

Any suggestions/ideas most welcome.

Cheers
Replaced TDC sensor with genuine peugeot sensor (£25) and the tacho is now back in operation.
Pug 306TD tacho sensor/wiring - DL
My god - I would have thought that the Citroen sensor would have worked......
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Although the engines may be the same, I guess the electronics in the dash may differ, hence different sensors.