Buy a used car without seeing it? - linac eng
I recently contacted a BIG car supermarket about a number of 6 - 12 month old Ford Mondeo estates, asking specifically which of the three outlets specific cars were at.
They told me that the cars were not yet at an outlet but they sold most of their cars in transit anyway so I should put down a deposit of £300 on one that I liked the sound of and then arrange to collect later.
I asked them what would happen, if on viewing the car, I decided that I didn't want to buy because of, say, a mild ding ,scraches, or it had been danaged & repaired etc? I didn't really get an satisfactory answer which left me to beleive my deposit would be at risk.
Even when the cars arrive at the outlet, I was advised that it was likely that even then it may not be possible to see it!

I realise that they are used cars (of which I have bought many and walked away from many) but it seems here you are taking pot luck and the risk of getting one that has been hired out to 200 careless punters.

So what do you think? Do many people buy blind these days or do I worry too much?

Buy a used car without seeing it? - Thommo
I am surprised I have to say this but NO NO NO NEVER!

I have two friends who have purchased cars from these big operations and the whole modus operanti is to get you in to the office and money paid and docuements signed before you see the car. Its then here's the keys off you go and their no longer interested because they've got your wonga.

One friend did not receive the service history, which was supposedly in the glove box and still does not have it 12 months later.

Another only got one key and it was a car that needs a transponder thingy key. Ended up paying £150 for a second key.

Make sure the car is everything you wish BEFORE parting with any cash, after is too late.

Buy a used car without seeing it? - Ivor E Tower
I fully agree with Thommo - Never buy without first seeing and checking paperwork etc. I was offered a car by a national chain earlier last year (2003) on same basis - pay deposit and see car a few days later when it arrived as it was "in transit" at the time I enquired. I was offered a very tempting price to do this, but declined. You have no easy way to get out and reclaim your deposit if the car is not what you want. There are many used cars available to buy so don't rush to buy something you have not seen.
Buy a used car without seeing it? - Andrew-T
I'm surprised that anyone can ask this question seriously. The perceived saving must be huge to contemplate the idea, and if a car is that cheap it should be suspiciously cheap.
Buy a used car without seeing it? - cockle {P}
Agree with you all entirely, NEVER, EVER.

What I find amazing is that for a large operation to have this as normal operating practice they must have plenty of customers gullible enough to go along with them, if all their punters said no then they wouldn't be able to get away with it.
Still I suppose no one's ever managed to over estimate the great British consumer's belief in cheap=good.

Cockle