Stalling SEAT Toledo - percy
A friend has a (new to him) L reg 2.0L 8V SEAT Toledo Automatic with about 90k miles. It seems to have the same engine etc as a Golf. It has a couple of annoying engine problems. One is an intermittent misfire/jerkiness at any speed. This problem does not last long perhaps 10 ? 20 seconds and does not seem to be affected by the level of work being done by the engine. The second problem is an occasional tendency for the engine to stall when the car is brought to a halt. It does not appear that the auto box is ?hanging on?, perhaps more like when the throttle is shut the engine no longer idles it just stalls. When the auto box is moved to N or P the engine can be restarted easily but sometimes stalls 2 or 3 times on attempting to re-engage D. Has anybody got any ideas please?
Stalling SEAT Toledo - billy25
percy,
this sounds like it could be a variant of the problem i recently had on my auto-box,which was, pressure was being retained on the auto-box valves, due to the filter/strainer being clogged and requiring cleaning.
on advice from other B.R's i had the auto-fluid changed at the same time, this so far has cured my problem! good luck.

billy.
Billy
Thanks for your thoughts, I'll suggest the fluid change/filter clean to my friend, I suspect it could be long overdue. I thought someone may have come back with the suggestion that ISCV needed cleaning. Some motors seem to have more trouble with this item than others do.
Because of the intermittency of the problem(s), (they are hard to reproduce for diagnosis), he will probably have to live with them as the car is probably worth less than the cost of a cure.
Sure enough the stalling became more frequent, and the car went to the local SEAT agent. Part of the answer was to clean the ISCV and throttle body. The other part was to replace two split hoses. One hose was between the ISCV and the inlet manifold (vacuum). The second hose was between the cam cover and air inlet (breather system). At £170, another lesson in motoring, but at least the car is running again!