VW diesel coughing - stefan99
Hi guys!

Would someone kindly advise me what could be the cause of the following? On a 1985 VW T25 Transporter non-turbo 1.6 Diesel: has developed intermittent shuddering and 'misfiring' with a severe loss of power and white smoke from the exhaust when it throws a strop. Tends to be worst from start-up and gets a bit better when warms up but it can happen at any-time.

I've had a suggestion that the valve guides are worn. Whilst I'm fairly genned up on mechanics I'm not totally sure what the consequences of this are. Will it need a new cylinder head or just new valve-guide seals fitted?

Or is the problem something completely different in your opinion?? It had a life of short journeys for the past two years without much chance to warm up. It's quite an overstressed engine for the size of vehicle.

And advice would be VERY much appreciated!

Cheers, Stefan
VW diesel coughing - stefan99
Please help! Anyone's advice would be very helpful in the cirumstances as I can't get around now!

Thank you!
VW diesel coughing - DL
As it is intermittant, I somehow doubt the valves guides are your culprit.

I'd carry out a compression test, seeing that all pressures are within 10% of each other.

Start with the basic fundamentals.

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
VW diesel coughing - RichardW
Ah... white smoke...? Does it smell diesely? Could be that a hydraulic tappet is sticking and holding one (or more) of the valves open leading to a loss of compression?

An oil flush might help.

RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
VW diesel coughing - DL
Could well be a malfunctioning fuel injector....the list is endless

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....