Life expectancy of Passat TDi - OLL
I am about to buy a passat estate 110 BHP TDi sport.
90 k miles on a 99 T plate, with MD FSH etc. Forecourt price £6500 I hope he'll take 6k
How long will this car have before it gets tired and what may go wrong and how expensive will it be?
Should I go for something with less miles but lower build quality. I found the Octavias were a similar price and mileage.
I need an economical diesel estate motorway muncher.

Many thanks
Life expectancy of Passat TDi - MichaelR
Seems a lot of money to pay for a car thats coming up to 5 years old - people seem to pay massive amounts for anything with a VW badge on. I'm looking at Mondeos at the moment and have found the equivilent Passat costs twice as much. Can't be that much better..
Life expectancy of Passat TDi - Jes
I returned my 2000 'x' reg Passat TDi Sport to the lease company after 90,000 miles of enjoyable motoring. As the miles clocked up , the Passat got better and better - better performance, better MPG (average 56mpg). As this was a company car it was serviced by a VW main dealer and this was my only gripe. Customer Service was dire even after using 4 different VW dealers.

I've now got a Toyota Avensis D4D T3-x hatchback. Not bad, but not as good as the Passat. The Toyota made sense from a financial perspective, but it is starting to grow on me in the 2 months I've had it....

Life expectancy of Passat TDi - mlj
The 110TDI engine is reckoned by many to be the definitive version. The usual caveats apply: FSH is vital, check that belt changes have been carried out, (have it done yourself for peace of mind at this mileage).
Be aware that the Passat/Octavia is powered by the same engine, but that the Passat has a larger interior but a smaller boot.(a relative difference as they are both pretty big)
Go to either Skoda or Seat for main dealer servicing, cheaper and, in my experience, better quality.

I took my TDI to 125K miles and it was the trim that started to show wear and tear. The engine was as good as day one. Good luck!
Life expectancy of Passat TDi - Tim
OLL,
I've been running the saloon version since June, taking it up from 64k to 75k. The biggest outlay so far has been for new shocks which I was quoted anything from £275 to £500 for all four. The Estate version might well be more so I would check whether these have been done before negotiating a price. I normally get around 55mpg on the motorways and 52 mpg on the back roads although have clocked 78mpg on the M4 on one very long afternoon.

The clutch is a hydraulic system which is a pain when it goes wrong - c£80 for a slave cylinder.

Depending on where you are in the country £6-6.5k doesn't seem too bad a price,

Tim
Life expectancy of Passat TDi - Craig_1969
Dont pay more than 6k. Plenty of examples on ebay/autotrader. Got my 110 18 months and done 40k in it. Solid performer, quick as most cars, huge boot, I get the oil changed every 8k but dont bother with any other servicing apart from cam belts at 60k intervals. I have saved a shedload of money on fuel. Great car. Very safe and capable. You do hear horror stories now and again tho. Avoid stealerships and don't bother with warranties.
Life expectancy of Passat TDi - andymc {P}
I think the price seems reasonable enough - near the start of this year I paid £7k for my Passat Sport TDi, with the same plate & mileage. Have the front bushes replaced FOC, as they'll be needing it soon enough anyway - I had this done within the asking price as well as a new MOT and a full service. Also, if you drive on B-roads a lot then go for a long test drive over rough roads - you may want to have the dealer replace the shocks with something stiffer. I live in the countryside where there are lots of poorly surfaced B-roads, and find there's just a bit too much bodyroll and wallowing. Although this improved when I had the shocks replaced FOC within a couple of weeks after buying, it still isn't just right for me - I like to press on! Rather than pushing for a discount, see if the dealer will fit a set of Bilsteins within the asking price. If you don't ask, you don't get! Overall, I find the car supremely comfortable over long journeys and the 110 bhp engine marginally underpowered - it'll be chipped to 130 as soon as the used warranty expires. That said, it'll cruise for hours at 85-90 mph without blinking (where legal, of course!)

To look at an alternative, consider a Rover 75 - handles better, but you have to go for Club SE trim or above to equate to the kit in the Passat. I was looking at those, but the ones available for the price were very basic spec at the time in comparison to a Passat SE or Sport that was a year or so older. The 75 has a chain cam engine though and for £7500-£8000 you should now be able to get a 2000 Club SE with similar (or fewer) miles. According to the CBCB, Longbridge built cars have even better handling (2001 on?).
andymc
Life expectancy of Passat TDi - Aprilia
A couple of guys who work for me have saloon versions of similar vintage and mileage.

Things that went wrong (two cars):

a CV joint
Bottom suspension arm (both cars)
Failed drivers door lock mechanism (expensive!)
Air-con condensor fan bearing sqealing
ABS light come on (still not fixed)
Some problems with alarm/central locking

One guy is trying to sell his, he is not happy with the reliability. They are not cheap to fix at a dealer once out of warranty.
Life expectancy of Passat TDi - Vansboy
Take a 406 110 HDi for a test drive before you make up your mind.

Even at main dealers you'd get a newer car & lower mileage for £6K

VB
Life expectancy of Passat TDi - JohnM{P}
see my post at
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=15197&...e
for my experience with a 110TDi Sport (now at 142k miles - still an excellent car).
Great cars if you get a good one and can get a good garage (maunufacturer or independant) to look after it (applies to all makes...!)
Life expectancy of Passat TDi - No Do$h
For the same money you can get a new Octavia.......
Life expectancy of Passat TDi - Welliesorter
For the same money you can get a new Octavia.......

Cheapest list price for a new Octavia is £10120 and that won't be a diesel!