Scrapping a Vehicle - Jon

When the MOT runs out on my F reg Montego I intend to scrap it as it the car is not worth the cost of the necessary repairs.

How do I go about this? Do I have to pay someone to take it or will they pay me for it.
Re: Scrapping a Vehicle - rococo
sadly you have to pay the scrapyard, i have just scrapped my volvo, as someone smashed into the side, the local scrapyard charged £35 to take it off my hands. where i come from alot of cars are abandoned by the side of the road, by people who dont want to pay the charges.
Re: Scrapping a Vehicle - Ian Cook
Jon

I had the same problem with my son's Metro. The scrap yard wanted money to take it off hands (£35, I think they said). However, I scrapped it with 3 month's MOT still on it, and they took it for nothing. This could be worth trying with your local scrappie.

Ian
Re: Scrapping a Vehicle - Ash Phillips
I just drove my car in, handed him the keys and reg. form and walked away. I was expecting to pay, after what I'd read here, but he didn't mention money and I didn't ask!!!
Re: Scrapping a Vehicle - John Kenyon
Ash Phillips wrote:
>
> I just drove my car in, handed him the keys and reg. form and
> walked away

Hopefully you walked away with that bit of the V5 which says you transfered
it to the scrappy. Otherwise you'll end up copping a fixed penalty when the
tax runs out - refer to previous thread "SORN" for more details.

/John
Oh yes.. It was the old style V5 with a single tear off at the bottom, which I completed. When the scrappie sent the top of the V5 in, he never filled anything on the top part in, so they didn't know what had happened/what to do, so they sent it back to me, as if I should fill it in. However, that's the last thing that should be done, as that would make me liable for the scrappies actions, (according to the stroppy pr*t I spoke to at the DVLA). So I threw the form in the bin, after confrming I was no longer the registered owner. Haven't heard anything else from them since - a sortcoming in the design of the old V5 methinks.
Scrapping a Vehicle - David Lacey
We see our fair share of non-runners etc and we have never had to pay to dispose of a car. Yes, if they have to collect it, then fair enough.
But drive any car into a scrapyard and you shouldn't have to pay anything.

Rgds

David
Re: Scrapping a Vehicle - Ian Aspinall
Or try your local council - many will collect scrap cars for free or a nominal fee rather than have them dumped at the side of the road. Ours charges £12.
Re: Scrapping a Vehicle - Andrew Hamilton
I thought the government was going to add a charge onto the new price which was repaid to the owner when the car was scrapped.
Re: Scrapping a Vehicle - honest john
Tandridge picks your end of lifer up for nothing, providing you are the registered keeper. The council has figured out that this method is cheaper than the complicated process it has to go through to seize and scrap a dumped car.

HJ
Re: Scrapping a Vehicle - andy sampson
Drive it to your local auction with no reserve, someone will pay for it, just make sure the auction usualy sells cannon fodder!!!!
Re: Scrapping a Vehicle - Bill Doodson
I scrapped my old Passat a couple of months ago the VW breakers took one look and said "Nahh too old for us mate". It eventually went to a generic car breaker where I had to pay £10:00 for them to take it off me with me taking it there.

Bill
Re: Scrapping a Vehicle - Ian Chandler
If you have the space off the road, you can recoup the cost of having the heap taken away by first becoming your own breaker. It is a lot easier dismantling a car than it is dismantling it, then putting it together - and it doesn't matter too much if you break anything.
What I did with an old VW we had was remove a lot of the parts - generator, starter motor, wheels, and all sorts of other bits - and then advertise them in the local paper. A lot of people came round and bought parts -and I even got £50 for the engine. At the end there was a doorless hulk and the local breakers charged £35 to get rid of it.

I also note that the mayor of Calais was complaining recently about the problem of British cars dumped in the town's car parks - so perhaps there's an export potential as well ...
Our nextdoor neighbour did the same, except he kept it in the front garden then used a cold chisel and 2 lb lump hammer to chop it into small enough pieces to put on his trailer to take to the skip. Was he not popular!