Tailgate Gas Struts - Toyota Corolla - Wooster
Is it me? I\'ve got a \'99 Toyota Corolla that had its tailgate gas struts replaced 14 months ago whilst (just) under warranty. Now they are failing again. They just don\'t hold the tailgate in the \'up\' position. The dealer says \'buy new ones\' but I worry that they\'ll fail again... I had a Cavalier before, and that \'ate\' gas struts too. I think I\'m \'gentle\' on the struts, never slamming the tailgate when it\'s cold etc. They have all been made by Stabilus of Germany - who supply most of the motor manufacturers. Any ideas?
Tailgate Gas Struts - Toyota Corolla - Aprilia
Stabilus (Koblenz, Germany) supply virtually all of the European motor industry. In my experience they are usually pretty good. They tend not to deteriorate with use - I think it is just that the gas leaks out over a period of time (whether they are used or not). Hard to know what your specific problem is, I'm afraid.
Tailgate Gas Struts - Toyota Corolla - Cyd
Stabilus UK live in St. Neots Cambs. look them up in dir enq of BT.com and contact them direct. Let us know how you get on
Tailgate Gas Struts - Toyota Corolla - Cliff Pope
Could it be an alignment problem? Bracket slightly bent, so putting sideways pressure on the piston causing premature seal wear?
I don't think it can be an alignment problem, as both struts are exactly the same. Good idea though.
Tailgate Gas Struts - Toyota Corolla - Altea Ego
Still could be. If the tailgate is out BOTH struts would wear
But wouldn't any mis-alignment be obvious? Wouldn't the shut lines show something was wrong? Or is it more subtle than that?
Tailgate Gas Struts - Toyota Corolla - Altea Ego
No it might not. The striker plate and latch may realign the hatch assembly when its shut. Any problems with getting the hatch to lock shut? excess force required? does it look square just before the striker plate and latch engage? If there are none of these indications I suppose that theory can be ruled out.
Quick reply! It looks fine, and shuts ok. But you've got me thinking... The car has a remote boot release - pull the lever up by the drivers seat. Sometimes this doesn't work first time. I put it down to a tiny mis-adjustment in the release mechanism. The tailgate opens perfectly if I use the key in the tailgate.
Stabilus live in Banbury, Oxon. Tel 01295 274777. Spoke to a nice guy, who said they should last for many, many years. He asked if I'd ever driven with the tailgate open (no) if the struts were installed the correct way round - with the arrow pointing to the car body (yes) and agreed they should last a lot longer. Offered to 're-gas' them for me, but was at pains to point out 'we don't normally do this'.
He could offer no reason why they failed. Any more good ideas?
Tailgate Gas Struts - Toyota Corolla - 659FBE
I have a theory that the struts which fail are the ones which are fitted by the maker with the seal uppermost when the tailgate is shut. I think the seal needs to be kept wet by the oil inside the strut to remain gas tight.

Anyone any observations or comments?

The man at Stabilus said the piston rod must point towards the car body. So when the tailgate is shut (as it is most of the time) the oil in the strut body is allowed to soak the rod seal. That's why there is an arrow and the word 'Body' printed on the strut. This is meant to stop the unskilled car worker installing them upside down.
Stabilus are in Banbury, Oxon. Spoke to a nice tech guy, who asked a few questions. Had I driven the car with the tail gate open? (No) Were the struts installed correctly - with the piston rod pointing to the car body? (Yes) Did I slam the tailgate? (No) Where was the car kept overnight? (In a garage) He then offered to 'regas' them for free. He was at pains to point out that 'We don't normally do this.' So, I'm going to get them fixed, but still don't know why I've had these failures? Any more ideas?
Tailgate Gas Struts - Toyota Corolla - Martin Wall
Phone Toyota GB customer services - these items should not fail. "Very disappointed etc....buy Toyota due to quality reputation...etc"

Worth a go.

Are replaced parts just covered up until original warranty expires?
Tailgate Gas Struts - Toyota Corolla - jc
The parts should then come with their own 12 month warantee-at least that is what Ford do!It may also be possible to get heavy-duty struts;ie. for a model with tailgate spoiler etc.
Tailgate Gas Struts - Toyota Corolla - billy25
is your driveway,or road on a slope? noticed couple of years ago when trying to load cases into taxi in tenerife (merc estate)that when taxi pointing nose uphill,the tailgate would not stay up, but on level ground at airport, it lifted(by itself) as soon as it was opened!

billy.
My garage floor is spirit level flat, and the problem shows up here as well as 'up' or 'down' the roadway.
I've tried. 12 months warranty to parts fitted outside the initial 3 year warranty. I phoned Customer Services, but they insisted that it was 12months max, and mine are 14 months old...