Mats - what are they good for? - cider glider
I've just bought a car, and it doesn't have any mats. Is there any point in getting any?

Mark S
Mats - what are they good for? - Andrew-T
If you don't find them an attractive feature, no point at all, until you come to resell, when buyers will notice that the carpets have been looked after.
Mats - what are they good for? - Altea Ego
Buy a mat, run it for 4 years and 48000 miles and then wonder where the worn heel mark in your mat came from, and compare that to the cost of new manufacturers carpet from the dealer.............
Mats - what are they good for? - Wales Forester
I second RF's hole in carpet theory, also it's very difficult to beat the dirt out of a fitted carpet!

Rubber mats are better from a practical point of view as they don't 'collect' debris like carpet mats tend to, and they're easy to swill off occasionally.

Worth the initial outlay in the long run.

PP
Mats - what are they good for? - Sooty Tailpipes
If you don't know what mats are for, you don't need a car.
Mats - what are they good for? - No Do$h
Rubber mats are better from a practical point of view as
they don't 'collect' debris like carpet mats tend to, and they're
easy to swill off occasionally.

Not sure I agree there. It's precisely because the carpet ones do collect the debris that I prefer them. With the rubber mats, the dirt (especially grit) ends up going around the edges of the mat and into the carpet. With carpet mats you can take them out once a fortnight, give them a beating to get the worst out and then, when nobody is looking, lay them on the kitchen floor before running the hoover over them. They look like new and there's no significant debris in the car.

Well worth forking out for a full set of four. Can often be found on E-Bay, but there are numerous online retailers that knock spots off dealer prices if you do a "Google".
In reply to No Dosh, my point about rubber mats not 'collecting' debris refers to the fact that there are no fibres for debris to gather in.

Carpet mats are more often than not of the design that there is no rim to stop debris falling off the mat onto the fitted floor carpet.

At least with rubber mats the majority of the dirt stays on the mat and is easy to dispose of without having to resort to hoovering or beating.

My Ford rubber mats have a high ridge around the side which does a great job of keeping the dirt on the mat where you want it.

Regards,
Pete.

Mats - what are they good for? - Ian (Cape Town)
Definitely. Next time you clean your front doormat, look at all the dirt and dust which comes out - that could have been on your lounge carpet!
If you have kids, they are a neccessity - they soak up stains, smells, noxious substances far better than fitted carpets!
If you are worried they may 'creep', buy some of the self-adhesive velcro stuff, and put it on the back of the mats.
Mats - what are they good for? - Cliff Pope
IMO the best are the fitted Volvo kind, like rubber trays. These have a one inch lip all the way round, and can be emptied of dirt periodically. Unlike ordinary mats they contain the dirt and don't let it spill over onto the carpet.
Mats - what are they good for? - THe Growler
I have always used the 3M mat sets with (don\'t know how to describe it) a sort of stiff curly mesh all over. This allows the dirt to drop into the mesh and then you just beat the living daylights out of the mat which causes the dirt to drop out. You can then hose \'em down then and hang \'em over the garden wall in the sun to dry (at least I can where I live).

They seem indestructible without any evidence of wear on a set I bought about 6 years ago and which has gone from vehicle to vehicle..
Mats - what are they good for? - Dwight Van Driver
Mats - what are they good for?.

Well Armitage Shanks could probably tell you that they saved his life.

The others. Car Boots generally have sample carpet squares on sale for 50 p to a quid. Colours to suit your vehicle. When tatty throw away and buy again.

DVD
Mats - what are they good for? - Welliesorter
How can car mats save your life? They can be dangerous if you let them slide under the pedals. I failed to notice that mine had bunched up under the accelarator so I nearly had a rear collision from a Porsche when moving off from traffic lights at a crawl. Luckily I was able to get out of the flow of traffic quickly to correct the problem. I soon trimmed the driver's side mat after that.
I know that feeling!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=9674
Mats - what are they good for? - Vansboy
& thats why it's worth getting the ones for your make & model, rather than offcuts from the bedroom.

Don'yt thing pearl pink would stay clean too long anyway!!

VB
3M Nomad Mats, come in sets of 5 from the USA. 5? Yup, the fifth one goes over the trans tunnel in the back.
Mats - what are they good for? - Dynamic Dave
Mats have other uses besides keeping the car\'s factory fit carpets clean.

1. Handy to kneel on if changing a puncture.
2. Chuck them under the driven wheels if stuck on mud or snow.
Mats - what are they good for? - Pugugly {P}
Live in the Country - use mats.
Mats - what are they good for? - Marc
Would have to agree that rubber mats are the best - they can be hosed down. The 'ultimate' mats in my book would have to be the plastic trays (previously mentioned) I had in my Volvo in the 90s. The car manufacturers always make the best fit as opposed to aftermarket to fit all makes.

Mats made out of carpet are nearly as painful to clean as the carpet itself and what's the point of that.
Mats made out of carpet are nearly as painful to clean
as the carpet itself and what's the point of that.

(Points further up the thread)

Let them dry, give them a quick bash on the back, check swmbo is out and put them on the kitchen floor, run hoover over them, look like new.

When was the last time a rubber mat was made to look like new in 2 minutes?

Carpet mats are kinder on your shoes (if that kind of thing matters) and, assuming you have decently thick ones, are less likely to transfer wear through to the underlying carpet.

Come, join me in carpet mat heaven! All true carpet mat followers are guaranteed (insert unfeasible offer of religious enlightenment of your choice). Destroy the rubber mat infidel!
Mats - what are they good for? - nick
I'm not keen on rubber mats because if the carpet gets damp underneath (which it will)it won't dry out easily and you'll end up with a musty smell at best, a rusty floorpan at worst.
Long live carpet mats!
Mats - what are they good for? - Welliesorter
Come, join me in carpet mat heaven! All true carpet
mat followers are guaranteed (insert unfeasible offer of religious enlightenment of
your choice). Destroy the rubber mat infidel!

Mine are rubber with carpet inserts. Is this a blasphemy against the true religion or just a schism?

Returning to a sensible note, the many grooves in the rubber bit are designed so that you can cut them to exactly the correct size and shape.
Mine are rubber with carpet inserts.

To quote John Cleese: "Splitter!"
the many grooves in the rubber
bit are designed so that you can cut them to exactly
the correct size and shape.

Must be some odd shaped floorpans out there.

I've used rubber and carpet mats and have yet to have a carpet mat I can't clean. The rubber ones look nasty.
I have carpets. Haul them out every so often, bludgeon them against the garden wall for a few minutes, and that's that. Much more fun than scrubbing rubber mats, indeed! Campaign for Real Car Carpets, anyone? [CAMRCC]
Mats - what are they good for? - Nsar
26 posts on car mats - we really need to get out more!
26 posts on car mats - we really need to get
out more!

Darn it! You spotted my ploy in antagonising people. I was going for "Mats - what are they good for? II"
26 posts on car mats - we really need to

get
out more!

Oh, and I should add "Blasphemer!" whilst pointing my finger in your general direction.
Mats - what are they good for? - Flat in Fifth
Jeepers we'll be going onto slippers and pressure washing scuttle plates in a minute.

Mats - what are they good for? - Graham
but why are they so very expensive?
Mats - what are they good for? - HF
I suppose if we were to wear slippers for driving, our mats, whether carpet or rubber, would last longer, due to being less worn, and also, as long as we only wore our slippers in our houses and in our cars, be less likely to accumulate dirt. Therefore, it would not matter if our mats were carpet or rubber. Although, I suppose, since some people call them 'carpet slippers'...
Mats - what are they good for? - Mark (RLBS)
you lot *REALLY* need to get out more.
Mats - what are they good for? - John R @ Work {P}
suppose if we were to wear slippers for driving, our mats, whether carpet or rubber, would last longer, due to being less worn, and also, as long as we only wore our slippers in our houses and in our cars, be less likely to accumulate dirt. Therefore, it would not matter if our mats were carpet or rubber. Although, I suppose, since some people call them 'carpet slippers'...

If you get a Japanese car you don't need rubber or carpet mats.
Just leave your shoes outside when entering the car... ;-)

John R
Mats - what are they good for? - moonshine
This thread is really, really sad....

But I'm still going to throw my comments in! - Why have a nice fitted carpet in your car if you never get to enjoy it? A friend of mine recently bought a nice new expensive sofa, the wife keeps it covered up (all the time) with throws - what's the point of having the expensive sofa? Might as well get one from the rubbish tip!

Given the choice between rubber and carpet, 1 out of 1 mk2 supra drivers chose the standard factory 5 peice tailor made set that clip into place to stop them slipping. I leave them in becuase they look nicer than the carpet underneath and have the logo embroidered on them.

In the Audi, I don't bother with mats.

I need to get out more as well :)
Mats - what are they good for? - 007

Great thread CG...Back to basics and all that:o)

A good set of mats need not be expensive. I was quoted £45 for a set of Honda 'carpet' mats. No way!! I shopped around and ended up with a very satisfactory set from Homebase at just £12.99 They go by the name of Reflex Sport. The rear pair are somewhat larger than I have obtained in the past and they scrub clean in no time at all.

On a lighter note...they have a *very* pretty pattern and you can have any colour you like as long as they are black.

HTH
M - you are perhaps right in the fact that some people here do need to get out more. However, my Day Centre does offer various activities which keep me amused most days of the week. And when the Centre's not open, well then my nurse takes time to tell me how special I am.

Anyway, all I was doing was trying to add to No Dosh's ambition to get this thread to 100. It's very important.

HF

Some way to go yet, HF, so here's one more. I get cheap mats by looking in my loft for a carpet offcut of the least offensive colour, cutting it to shape/size, and whipping the edge with heavy twine. A lot less than £45.
Some way to go yet, HF, so here's one more. I
get cheap mats by looking in my loft for a carpet
offcut of the least offensive colour, cutting it to shape/size, and
whipping the edge with heavy twine. A lot less than £45.

"Thou shalt not worship false mats."
>>whipping the edge with heavy twine

A strange picture is forming in my mind. I will try to get rid of it.
Of course, the real question is....

broadloom, berber or shag?
I think that's quite enough, people.
Mats - what are they good for? - Blue {P}
Just to keep this going, I'd like to say that I prefer the carpet kind as they look much better, but has anyone else noticed a drop in quality in Ford mats? The ones in my last Fiesta were a proper kind of wool-like carpet material. Now they're just horrible nylon carpet mats that don't look or feel as nice when driving with bare feet.

Oh yes, that reminds me, my other reason for preferring carpet is for when I drive barefoot, your foot doesnt sweat as much as when it's resting on rubber mats. :-)

Maybe this won't reach 100, but I bet we can make 50. ;-)

Blue
Mats - what are they good for? - bugged {P}
oh god, if I must.

I have always had mats in my car, my polo had cream carpet in and black mats, I wouldnt have fancied it without,
Having the mats is also somewhere to wipe wet shoes if its been raining to stop your feet sliding on the pedals.

I do know some dimwit who never cleaned or bothered with her car and the drivers mat got jammed under the accelerator.
She thought it was a problem with the car itself and took
it back to the garage, they actually had to cut the mat out it was that bad. What a complete fool she must have looked,
I think she checked occasionally afterwards!

The mats in the beetle are o.k, i bit on the thin side but they do the job, otherhalfs volvo mats are much better!
What an incredibly impractical idea - cream mats! Would have looked good new, I suppose.

50 up!
Mats - what are they good for? - AR-CoolC
51 up !

Does anyone know of a good quality (but cheap) universal mat as they all seen to be around the £40-45 mark.

Either that or a supplier of manufacturer mats at a knock down price.

Blimey I am a stingy git.

I'm off for a look on eBay seeing as how the big fella wants us all to go their.
Ah so it's not just me that thinks they're way over priced then.

Like everything else for the car....and don't get me started on the price of car radio's!!!!!!
I bought a pair of genuine front carpet mats from Subaru for my Legacy for around £15. I wish the brake pads were as cheap.
Mats - what are they good for? - Robbie
A luggage area carpet mat for the Honda Accord Tourer is £95.
Mats - what are they good for? - GTLK
Just bought swmbo a Honda CR-V, 2 1/2 years old, 3,800 miles. Its got one mat that goes right across the rear footwell from side to side over the trans tunnel. That's bound to cause havoc when i take it out to clean? All the stuff will simply fall off.
Mats - what are they good for? - pafosman
Dear Glass-tech

Homebase £14.99 (but front only!) seem reasonably heavy but they are part rubber part a sort of carpet material. My local store had any colour you like as long it was a dark red/black. if you are looking a the colour while you are driving I'm worried. Almost as much as the guys responding to this post at 01.20 & 06.06 ! what is going on?

Attention: Glass-tech.

Re your question about 'universal' mats. I refer you to my post on Thu.13th @ 15.23 above. The mats which I purchased were not specific to my model although they happened to fit it like a glove. Nothing to stop you trimming them down to suit your needs if necessary.

Do let me know if I can be of any further help.

PS....I did have to 'get out more' to buy them:o)
Mats - what are they good for? - OAP
Glass-tech I have just noticed that 'Renault Family' has a set of mats which he is giving away...see Classified section of the Backroom. Perhaps you could trim them to suit your vehicle.
Mats - what are they good for? - jeds
If you do decide to have mats you might want to consider professional installation. Handled incorrectly they'll have your eye out.
WOW all these people happily answering my mat questions.
To be fair I haven't as yet had a look at how much the genuine Focus mats are, the ones I have at the minute are the cheap (well free actually) dealer mats, but they are so thin that they just crunch up all the time, luckily they seen to crunch up backwards (towards the seat).
Had a look on eBay but you only seen to be well catered for if you own a BMW.

Must admit that I hadn't thought about the DIY stores, so I'll try and have a look over the weekend.

Must dash, work to do.

Must admit that I hadn't thought about the DIY stores, so
I'll try and have a look over the weekend.

*DO* let us know how you get on. I would hate to be left wondering :o)
Mats - what are they good for? - bugged {P}
by the way i have some floor mats for sale for a vectra if anyone is interested! AND one of though heavy plastic moulded
trays that goes in teh boot, for an estate!
How come we have only 52 replies when my post yesterday morning was number 51 ??

Have some posters actually gone out and got a life??
Mats - what are they good for? - L'escargot
Glass-tech,

Genuine Focus rubber mats are super, ace, magic, brill. Or in modern parlance, wicked.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Mats - what are they good for? - GroovyChick{P}
How much were they?

Have some posters actually gone out and got a life??

Inspired by this thread, they have probably gone out to buy some floor mats.
All of the carpet mat owners have gone out to get some proper rubber ones!

;-)

PP
When you have decided what mats your going to use, any chance of
advice on the underlay?

Hasty retreat 2's and blu's going

DVD
Mats - what are they good for? - El Hacko
fun it is, but I canna believe this thread has expanded this far
Mats - what are they good for? - PhilW
I have an interesting theory about people who post about carmats. I have analysed the time of each post and the exact slant of each post over several hours today and come to the conclusion that most of you are either
a) bored at work
b) bored at home
Incidentally, when I bought my car I got my mats free and was thrilled. This saved me the problem of deciding whether to buy any in France (and having to live with the fact that they are "left hand drive" ones). The model specific ones in French supermarkets are very good value.
You can't overestimate the value of car mats.
Now, what about mud flaps? Should I buy make specific (£30) or car accessory shop ones (£9.99) or not bother. Your opinions would be appreciated.
Mats - what are they good for? - smokie
I'm sure that, given time, you could fashion some dandy mud flaps a la Blue Peter stylie from some unwanted rubber car mats.

Bit naughty of you to hijack this critical thread though... :-)

I have to admit I've been watching this thread, but never EVER thought I would be a contributor.

I love the a) bored at work or b) bored at home conclusion. There aren't many other places where you can be bored and still have access to the HJ website are there?
Mats - what are they good for? - PhilW
Shall I send out a questionnaire? - I could find out for you. This car mats thing is raising some very interesting questions
PhilW
Not much on TV tonight is there?
Mats - what are they good for? - BobbyG
On the subject of mudflaps - when I tried to get some from Renault for my Scenic, the approved set are very short for the back wheels, and as far as the front are concerned, they are just a strip of rubber that runs horizontally along the bottom of the sill as opposed to hanging vertically down!

But there again, to hijack a well read thread - mud flaps - what are they good for?

My opinion - they sometimes look good. End of story!
Second the model specific french car mats thing. Got some very good fitting ones for the Laguna at Auchan. 19 Euros. Have to admit I was so chuffed at the price that I forgot about LH drive. DOH they actually fit very well and you would never notice the l/h drive difference.

I have posted twice on the mats thread. Does that make me *very* sad?
You may scoff about this thread but it does raise interesting points (yawn) and exercises the grey matter.

For instance. In the Middle East carpets in houses are a no no and extensive use is made of ceramic tiles.

Anyone from that area can tell us what they use in their cars?

Growler tiles or ratan?

DVD.......ZZZZzzzzzzzz
How much of a premium, if any are people prepared to pay for the sort of mats with fasteners so they do not ride forward and interfere with the pedals.

Safety issue in my opinion, one which should not be ignored.

sextiosju [1]

[1] swedish for 67 to introduce a new language to the thread!
I notice that the anti-spray type of mud flaps for truck actualy look like mats. Sort of black astro-turft sort of things.

So the cheapes mats could be nicked from the over night lorry park!

cider glider, you could not have known what controversy your thread would create.

I've just had a Researcher on the phone from the Mori Organization. They are conducting an Opinion Poll on the subject of floor mats!!

Whatever next??
Mats - what are they good for? - Marc
Argos are doing a very nice range of Michelin branded black rubber mats at the moment, they have a "tyre tread" design.

Would choose them myself if I didn't already have the "approved accessory" ones myself. Ford call them "contour" apparently.

And you must have flaps.
Mats - what are they good for? - M.M
When looking to purchase a used car makers OE fitted mats and mudflaps come a good second to a service history in the checklist.

Avoid cars with carpet offcuts** and £11.99 Homebase mat sets that slide up under the clutch. Smacks of cost cutting maintenance.

Also forget carpet mats in the country.

The best ever rubber ones, better than the Volvo lipped types, are those (old?) Ford ones with the pattern of 25mm squares about 15mm deep. You can spill a pint of water and it is contained within these "mini-tanks" and doesn't sluice about everywhere. Great for holding snow-melt from your boots.

Rubber mats are easily cleaned with a £39.99 pressure washer, and we've all got one of those I hope.

Oh and don't forget to change the mats at 50K or five years or you risk terminal/expensive damage to the carpets.

**Sorry DVD!

M.M
Rubber mats are easily cleaned with a £39.99 pressure washer, and
we've all got one of those I hope.

Right that's pressure washers dealt with! ;-)

Anyone any opinions on rubber vs carpet in diesels?
Easier to deal with anything walked in from the forecourt in my view.

M.M, I'll leave the double chevron and Landies to you.....
MM scribes:

>>Oh and don't forget to change the mats at 50K or five years <<

Good job he doesn't live in the US of A. Imagine going into a shop and asking for rubbers for his car.??????

DVD
Mats - what are they good for? - Phoenicks
73 POSTS ON CAR MATS!

How interesting... ;-)
73 POSTS ON CAR MATS!
How interesting... ;-)

Especially number 40 and onwards :D
>>Whatever next??

Well apparently there will be a passage in the Queen's Speech to Parliament next week reading as follows:

"My Government will introduce Regulations at the earliest opportunity to ensure that all new cars will have floor mats in place".

I wonder what Brussels will have to say about that?
oooooo no, rubber mats and diesel do not mix. The rubber mat goes all slimey and slippy..
Mats - what are they good for? - blank
When looking to purchase a used car makers OE fitted mats
and mudflaps come a good second to a service history in
the checklist.
M.M

OK, this darned thread's got me into it now as well!

MM, you covered what you look for in a used car with respect to the mats, but neglect to include detail on the flaps (hope this minor deviation from sibject is allowed).

I've got Ford rubber mats in the Mondeo, which the dealer supplied as the final bit of haggling. They are cleaned irregularly by emptying the rubbish into a dustbin. Carpet is still immaculate. Polo similar but a bit of a bang against the wall to clear the dirt from the carpet.
MR2 is ordered complete with fancy mats, but I didn't tick the flaps box. Have I errored?!

Andy
Oh dear DVD you cause me once again to delve into my orientalia If you will pardon the expression. No Gertrude Bell or Wilfred Thesiger am I but as I recall from my long years in locations east of Istanbul and west of the Khyber it was not uncommon for taxis in particular to boast mats (along with seat and dashboard covers) of woven carpet with intricate inscriptions and patterns upon them. Carpets as we know being an expertly produced commodity in those parts. Koranic inscriptions and Moghul art were replicated on these masterpieces.

As in any Middle Eastern souk, in the Street of a Thousand Car Mat Vendors, one could linger over a cup of gritty coffee and a puff on the nargile (hubble-bubble to you) while Ahmed the Mat-Maker paraded before you a swatch of his finest creations, accompanied by obsequious and persuasive presentations of his latest (always advisable to stay firmly seated).

Sir, these are what I made for the Ruler of Sharjah's fleet of 120 Lincoln Continentals (showing picturs of mats in luminescent green woven nylon with stylised pictures of the Taj Mahal) or perhaps Your Presence might prefer what I have recently completed for the the union of Dubai taxi-drivers -- rubberised and with the Marlboro logo in the centre. I believe for the last car I had there, a Ford Taurus 3.8 V-6, Ahmed supplied me with a superb set of mats illustrating the sunrise over the Pyramids.

Moving further east we find rattan mats are not widely used any more, I think they went out with rickshaws. I'm afraid most people use rubber these days, always a wise decision I've found.

Mats - what are they good for? - helicopter
What do the animal liberation people have to say about making mats from tan rats or any rats or is it ten rats and what do they do with the tails.....

Nurse - please tell me what I am doing in this thread
Mats - what are they good for? - NitroBurner
Wibble Wibble...
Phew - had no internet access for a week now, *so* glad to see that this thread is still alive and well.

Been hard not to be able to read about mats for all that time.

I see we have only a score more posts to achieve No Dosh's ambition.

So I do hope another 19 will follow me in transforming the most boring thread in the world into a centenary one.

To keep this on topic, I really must get around to hoovering my mats sometime soon.

Welcome back, HJ site, I've missed you!

HF
Mats - what are they good for? - henry k
What about the acoustic aspects?

How do Rubber, tailored carpet, DIY carpet with/without underlay (which type) compare ?

How much noise suppression is achieved?
(Are those sound deadening mats and pads still in production?)
Please give examples of Model and speed ranges.

What is the effect on your sound system quality?

What about the boot or hatchback floor?
Should this be enhanced in normal vehicles ?

Finally, has anyone calculated the reduction in MPG with all the extra weight or can one compensate by using lighter shoes with floor mats?
Mats - what are they good for? - andymc {P}
Believe it or not, HF, when browsing the site earlier this evening it did occur to me that I hadn't seen you on here for a while. Nice to have you back!

To answer the original question, mats are ideal for staging two-dimensional pillow-fights.
When properly rigged to the ariel, mats can also be used as sails. However, this should be a last resort only for when the car has run out of fuel, due to the increased risk of seasickness.

andymc
[94] Given NoDosh's position of authority, HF, he will probably allow 5 more posts and then lock the thread.
Thank you G for completing my education on Middle Eastern mats.

I did hear that there was hardly any use for those carpets as it was found that they went faster and higher that the vehicle, especially when you wore pantaloons and a turban.

DVD
I'm for the carpet variety. When I bought my Omega, just over nine years ago, I was given a set of Vauxhall mats by the dealer. They are still perfect with just a bit of indentation near to the accelerator pedal.

I remove them regularly and run the Dyson over them and they come up like new.

I've just deserted Vauxhall for a Honda Tourer, and I've talked the dealer in to giving me a set of Honda mats. I hope they are as good in nine years time and the Honda as reliable as my Omega,which has been 100%. It has only been serviced at the correct intervals and new cam belt etc done. New exhaust system, battery, tyres and front pads. Excellent motor.
Interestingly enough (yawn) I removed pencils from nose and underpants from head and had a look today at what was fitted in the front of the helicopter family Civic and was pleased to see that factory fitted mats were studded to prevent under pedal slippage and specially tailored with that extra little bit in the middle where most folks have a gearstick,
In addition the helicopter pocket had stretched to a couple of H******s rubber jobs to keep the front carpet clean and free of heel (or is it hell)holes.
In the back , factory fitted carpets with a covering of tasteful lime green carpet supermarket samples with whipped cord edges (steady) to prevent the ingress of dirt from the feet of helicopter junior (autogyro) and mates.
On the rear shelf a nodding rat covered in Ambre Solaire ...exits wibbling - 86 and counting folks
Sorry - someone got in before me so its 87 and this one makes 88
When I picked up on old Series III Landrover last year for spares, it was replete with rubber mats. They were the variety that one finds outside school gyms made of old tyres I beleive. The ones where they link lumps of rubber together. I'm not doing a good job of describing them am I.

At least they would keep your feet off the damp floor until you next hose out the mud and grit.

There are some nice acoustic mats specially molded forLandrovers, quite good but very heavy.
This has got to be the most tedious thread - EVER!

What next, windscreen washer additives & solutions?
Mats - what are they good for? - smokie
Now now Nitrous, don't go hijacking the thread... ;-)
Mats - what are they good for? - matt35 {P}
My wife sometimes thinks they are good for nothing!
Matt.
Nitro - I think you might find we've already done windscreen washer additives. ;)

AndyMC - Thank you! :)
If some is trying to hi jack the thread will this cause the mats to unravel?

Yes I'm bored - I really want to post good wishes and luck to our brave rugby boys but haven't been able to work out how to do this in a motoring forum without a slapping from the moderator
Yes I'm bored - I really want to post good wishes
and luck to our brave rugby boys but haven't been able
to work out how to do this in a motoring forum
without a slapping from the moderator

What kind of Mats can I get for an Austin Healy?
Yes I'm bored - I really want to post good wishes
and luck to our brave rugby boys but haven't been able
to work out how to do this in a motoring forum
without a slapping from the moderator

What kind of Mats can I get for an Austin Healy?
Or, as this is a Mat thread, Matt Dawson must be worth a mention.
as well as Matt Rogers.
Brilliant thought Ian - hopefully all our Matts will wipe the floor with the Aussies
On a motoring note, just in case the moderators have a look in, Stirling Mortlock was named after Stirling Moss. Apparently his dad was a big fan.
Any one game for 200
Best screenwash additive thread then anyone?! ;-)

PP
We could try car(motoring connection) mat cleaners - wasn't there a cleaner called 1001?
Mats - what are they good for? - StuW
Over a hundred replies on a thread about car mats! Is this really the hot topic it seems to be?

Please can anyone recommend a good Fitter?
PS.....Complete with references, of course.
Wow, we did it!

ND, I hope you're pleased.

On a rugby motoring note, has anyone else been sporting an England car flag in support of 'our boys'? I'm the only one in my hometown, apart from a white Volvo I was behind the other day. And to keep on topic, I've been looking for England car mats.
How about a discussion on the relative merits of engine assembly with regards to UNF or metric bolts?

Or does that come under a new thread?

Sorry...
Mats - what are they good for? - flatfour
Mats were designed for dog owners, when your lovely little pooch pukes in the footwell you just sling the mats, no mess to clean up, no abnoxious lingering smells.
We could try car(motoring connection) mat cleaners - wasn't there a
cleaner called 1001?

As a kid I recall the advert on "commercial tv" as it was then known.

"1001, cleans a big, big carpet, for less tham half a crown".

Another one was "Murraymints, Murraymints, too good to hurry mints." It had a motoring theme on one advert where the driver was taking his time.
Another one was "Murraymints, Murraymints, too good to hurry mints."
It had a motoring theme on one advert where the driver
was taking his time.

Aaaah, I recall a TV advert with Eric Idel, playing a particularly greasy car salesman, trying to sell a car to one Murray Walker. The pay off line was ".. and it won't cost you a mint, Murray. Murray ... Mint, geddit?"
Such a damned fine advert I can't recall the car being advertised...
But I digress, this has nothing to do with mats at all.
I don't believe you lot actually managed to get over 100 replies on the subject of floor mats without actually deviating that much.

Please don't even think about going for a higher total since I'd totally lose the will to live if I had to read this stuff every day for another week.

Mark.

p.s. If you want to talk about the rugby, you might as well do it in this thread, I gues I can live with that for a day or so.
Damn! And we were so hoping for "The mats thread, Volume 2". :>)
Oh, it is peeing down in Sydney, apparently... Lovely stuff!
p.s. If you want to talk about the rugby, you might
as well do it in this thread,

Thnx Mark, celebration timew
As this is the mat thread...
Well done Matt Dawson
Tough Luck Mat RogersMatt Giteau and Matt Cockbain.

Oh, by the way, South Africans made the Final - ref and Video ref!
Thnx Mark, celebration timew
As this is the mat thread...
Well done Matt Dawson
Tough Luck Mat RogersMatt Giteau and Matt Cockbain.
Oh, by the way, South Africans made the Final - ref
and Video ref!

Not normally one to enjoy a beer so early, I confess to having sunk a couple this morning as my grin got wider.

Although a certain Mr Watson felt it appropriate to allow the Wallabies another go at winning, the boys came through.

:D Cheesy grin

Mats at >110 posts and England win the Rugby World Cup. Oh joyous day!
I still cannot believe that andre watson, and not Kaplan was given the final ...
He is the most inconsistent ref on the local circuit, and in the Super 12.
At least today it was an 11am kick-off - 9am starts I have done, and not felt any better for it ...
Oh, and while we have some non-motoring leeway, I reacll getting up at 3am, driving to the local hostelry, and watching SA v NZ at 4am.... Great way to wipe out a weekend ...
Bit belated I know, but again we have had no internet access today until now.

Since M says we can, just want to add my bit. Have waited all my life for my beloved country to win a world cup, and it is very surreal that we actually did it today. I have gone wild, and even resorted to my 'singing in the rain' routine earlier, nuch to the embarrassment of my son.

Well done to the Matts, and all the others who have restored faith in British sport. Just a pity the country hasn't erupted into hysteria as it would if it was a footie world cup.

In any case, I am so proud. And I will definitely be driving, with at least one foot firmly on my mat, to the shops to buy a commemorative t-shirt tomorrow. (See I even managed to restore that back to the topic).

Pity there will be no 'Mats II' - but I'm sure someone sometime will think up something riveting enough to rival this thread.

HF :)))))

Even more belated but I have just woken up from one the best days of my sport watching life and one of the most thunderous heads ever from a celebration of a great victory - and I am old enough to remember 1966 - nothing like as good as yesterday but then I've never been a round ball fanatic.
Can you please excuse me now - I need some paracetomol
Mats - what are they good for? - El Hacko
think paint, Mark - go for a mat finish
aaah, the possibilities are ENDLESS!

www.matsjonsson.com/
Ian, how far are you from Mat-abeleland?
Mat-abeleland? oh, abiut 1 2 day drive. Obviously it would be Cape Town - Johannesburg then to Beit Bridge, and up to Bulawayo, depends whether I could get petrol in Zim or not ...
Mats - what are they good for? - Phil I
Are the brothers Osram twins Ian? Do you know what sort of mats they have in their Ford? These questions must be answered before I go to bed or I shall not rest.
Bump.

Starting to wear a little thin now is it?
Don't all rush....but....if you can get down to Aldi at crack of dawn tomorrow, they will be doing a full set for just £4.99!!

First come..first served, of course, and I have heard that there is a threat of blockade by pickets at the manufacturers next week, due to the rising cost of rubber!
Mats - what are they good for? - $till $kint
Oh good lord, I'd forgotten about this.

Not that I was here back then you understand ::coughs::
Mats - what are they good for? - rory
Errmm, unless I've missed it whilst trawling through this exciting exchange, how come no-one's mentioned the clear mats you can get at Hurlfords ? Not only do they allow the original ( preferrably dark ) carpets to show through - thus allowing one to stll display words like the expensively-charged originals from Jaguar/BMW to remain on display - they also have a lip around them and are 'studded' on the underside to stop them slipping. Big ones for the front, little ones for the back ( or the front if you have ( phnaar, phnaar ) an organ-typre accellerator pedal.
Mats - what are they good for? - DrS
And I couldn't see that anyone mentioned those boy racer type of things which have checker plate aluminium patches stuck onto iridescent blue carpet.
What's all that about?
Four years after... - Ian (Cape Town)
Good heavens! Look what I found!

Did you know that in South Africa a pickup truck is called a Bakkie? And there is a chap playing some game or other over the weekend called Bakkies Botha - because he is as strong as TWO pickup trucks, apparently! *incredibly tentative motoring link!*

Also, South Africa's rugby team is sponsored by Sasol a local petroleum company.
Four years after... - madf
> Ian
After teh Final, I am 100% positive the SA team will be so emotionally and phsically drained by their defeat, they will all be rolled up and carried away in car mats...

(to preserve the motoring link)...:-)
madf
Mats - what are they good for? - Ed V
128 postings on car mats. That alone makes them worthwhile!
Mats - what are they good for? - Blue {P}
Oh no! , the dead have risen, it's like a scene from Resident Evil!

Blue

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/10/2007 at 13:52

Mats - what are they good for? - Stuartli
I've a full set of genuine VW rubber mats which I've had for nearly 15 years and which have been used in three different VW cars.

They are thick, contain compartments to retain dirt and stones and keep any water clinging to shoes or wellingtons on rainy days off the interior carpet.

These mats still look almost as good as the day they were given as a free bonus on buying a Jetta 1.6TX, are easy to lift out and shake and occasionally get a good wash in the bath.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Mats - what are they good for? - Old Navy
Carpet mats are handy as a for getting stuck cars out of snow/mud, doesnt do the mats a lot of good though.
Welcome back the car mat thread......

Is it really four years ago since that glorious day?

Sorry mods , not even a tentative motoring link.

Come on England !!!!!

Mats - what are they good for? - normd2
there's a Matt in this office - his missus reckon's he's good for nothing...
Welcome back the car mat thread......
Is it really four years ago since that glorious day?

snipquote
It is indeed just under 4 years ago - how time flies when we are having fun!
The centre of Cape Town, looking out my office, is a sea of cars* all sporting flags, and loads of people all wearing green and gold!
I suspect tomorrow evening I may stay at home, and watch the game there - after the 1995 win, the roads were absolute mayhem. A trip to the airport the next day saw many wrecked cars and evidence of accidents.
I suspect the traffic cops were as drunk as the rest of the nation!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/10/2007 at 20:11

Hopefully the Bokkies won't resort to poisoning the opposition this time Ian......

So anyway - Jason Robinson, Andrew Sheridan and Jonny Wilkinson are standing before God at the throne of heaven. God looks at them and says, ?Before granting you a place at my side, I must first ask you what you believe in.?

Addressing Robinson first, he asks, ?What do you believe??

Robinson looks God in the eye and states passionately, ?I believe Rugby to be the food of life. Nothing else brings such unbridled joy to so many people from the grim North to the bright lights of Twickenham. I have devoted my life to bring such joy to people who stood on the terraces supporting their club.? God looks up and offers Robinson the seat to his left.

He then turns to Sheridan, ?And you Andy, what do you believe??

Sheridan stands tall and proud, ?I believe courage, honour and passion are the fundamentals to life and I?ve spent my whole career providing a living embodiment of those traits.? God moved by the passion of the speech, offers Sheridan the seat to his right.

Finally he turns to Wilkinson, ?And finally you, Johnny, what do you believe??

?I believe,? says Jonny, ?You are sitting in my seat.?

That 36- Nil really hurt , its time for revenge...

Come On England!
Mats - what are they good for? - bignick2
About 6 months ago I received an SOS from xxxxxxxxxxx (name removed to avoid being left out of her will) as her car had lost all its power.
10 mile drive later I opened the drivers door of her car looked down, pulled the rolled up accessory carpet mat out from under the accelerator pedal and said "there you go mum"
Mats - what are they good for? - Cliff Pope
I think there ought to be a webcam featuring a car mat. Or some still pictures would make this thread even more exiting. I'm looking forward to the next four years.
Mats - what are they good for? - PoloGirl
A true classic among Back Room threads. And no, I'm not going to be the bad person and moderate it today - as Mark said higher up, if you're going to talk about the rugby it may as well all be in one place! ;)

Word of warning though...I don't think there'll be a mats2 thread, so it might get slow to load for some of you if it gets much longer.

Edited by PoloGirl on 19/10/2007 at 17:05

Four years since the mats thread...now then, what else was occupying the new four years ago? Oh yes - England's triumph.

I don't know which has me more emotional, the return of the fabled mats thread or the memory of that piece of radio commentary as the ball was passed to Mr Wilkinson with three seconds on the clock.

Maybe if the England football team hadn't been playing on a giant mat the other day we would have secured our qualification.

Edited by Nsar on 19/10/2007 at 17:01

>>I suspect the traffic cops were as drunk as the rest of the nation!>>

Hopefully they will be sober tomorrow...:-)
Mats - what are they good for? - OldSock
All these posts and yet no-one has mentioned the true use of car mats.

viz: they are kept in huge numbers by dealers up and down the country to 'throw in' to a deal and make the hapless punter content with being fleeced :-)
Not in my case...:-)
Mats - what are they good for? - Vansboy
If you were to compare the cost of replacing the original floor covering in the cab area, on, say an Escort van, with the £40 of original Ford over mats, you'd think it a no brainer.

You need to dismantle so much plastic trim & consoles, it'd cost another couple of hours labour, on top of the scary price of new flooring!

Only done it once - I won't buy another van, where the operator thought he could do without extra protection from size 9's!!

VB
Mats - what are they good for? - PoloGirl
Oh dear... None of the Matts will be very happy with that!

On the plus side, at least it finished on time and isn't going to delay the X-Factor result. ;-)
Au Contraire PoloGirl...
Man of the Mats ... err... Match: One Victor MATfield.
Mats - what are they good for? - Hamsafar
If you get excrement on your shoe and it goes on the mat you can throw just the mat away instead of the car.
Mats - what are they good for? - BobbyG
Watched that match last night and what a bore.

Have little fights about the pitch and then throw the ball to someone who tries to kick it off the pitch. Occasionally get the doc on to sew an ear back on.

And couldn't help but notice that Johnny didn't have a single bead of sweat on him at full time,says it all I think. Don't think you work up a sweat rubbing your hands together and then running 4 yards to kick a ball.

Think the authorities should change the rules to persuade more in the way of tries, maybe 15 on the field is too many? Or increase the points(again) for a try?
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS

My man of the match was Mat Tait.

Mat Tait took the Boks apart with the most thrilling run of the game early in the second half and the ball was recycled to Cueto who scored - yes scored - in the corner .... only to be denied by an Australian, still suffering the scars of two weeks and four years ago.....

Tell me Ian in Cape Town, of why if Cueto missed scoring by millimetres , the referee then only awarded a penalty against the South Africans for deliberate offside instead of a penalty try?

The Boks were the stronger side ... just. Well done.

I have to mention the Matt Cartoon in the Sunday Telegraph this morning.

Old fellow is reaching for the phone whilst the ITV announcer is saying ' those of you who want England to win the World Cup cast your votes now'......

It made me grin through the pain of the hangover.

Bit puzzled as to what these two postings have to do with car mats...:-)
And me. Back to car mats !!
Mats - what are they good for? - deepwith
Oh my, 152 posts and I wonder why I love this site. Car mats? what else would you stand your vacuum cleaner on while valeting the interior?
Mats - what are they good for? - billy25
we could incorporate the "spider in wing mirror " thread into this one, as they seem to be Car-Pets!

Billy
Run its course I think.
Mats - what are they good for? - Pugugly
Bump (I'm going to regret it !)
Cider Glider - started thread but didn't contribute thereafter. Next and last post 5 years later....not heard from since.

So the answer might be mats - good for Zen like self control?

Mats - what are they good for? - L'escargot
Bump (I'm going to regret it !)

What does "bump" mean in this context? I've seen it used in other threads but never understood.

Edited by L'escargot on 04/10/2009 at 08:50

Mats - what are they good for? - drbe
What does "bump" mean in this context? I've seen it used in other threads but
never understood.

>>

It brings the thread to the top of the list of threads.

Is that the context in which you meant it?
Mats - what are they good for? - Dynamic Dave
It brings the thread to the top of the list of threads.

Yes, hence the phrase 'bumped' - as in bumped back up the list.

Bump - Bring Up My Post

Another phrase is 'bttt' meaning back (or bumped) to the top.

So, mats....

Good or bad?

Mats - what are they good for? - veryoldbear

Yes or no as the case may be.

But boot liners, definitely, particularly if SHMBO demands the carrying of vast quantities of garden waste and/or building materials. I'm thinking of buying a truck.