caravan fires. - billy25
morning all,
questions:
how many of you out there own and use a caravan?
how many of you have seen just how ferociously they burn?

the story!
last night,about 21:15hrs,i was alerted to the fact that *something*was going on in the parking area behind my house,(where i keep my boat,and near-neiboughs keep their 2-berth touring caravan).thinking that they were "messing"with the boat, i went out the back,whereby a gang of early teenagers, having seen me,ran away laughing and shouting abuse.the *neiboughs*had only been cleaning and tidying the van that afternoon,and had invertently left a window slightly open(to air it?).after a couple of seconds i noticed an orange glow showing in the caravan windows,realising it was on fire, i shouted to missus to phone fire brigade, they promptly arrived 12mins later(our brigade are part-timers who have to be summoned from home),by which time it was too late! all that was left were a couple of bits of burning tyre,and smouldering chassis.
i have never seen something burn as quickly or as ferociously as that,at one stage the flames were higher than the houses,and the aluminium panels were literally melting away before my eyes.
just made me wonder at the time how many people that use them alot realise that should they have a fire in one,just how little time they really have to get themselves and family to safety.
i have a couple of photo's that i think BR'S should see to help etch this point in their minds,and will post them (if somebody can tell me where/how on this site)

billy
caravan fires. - Dynamic Dave
i have a couple of photo's that i think BR'S should
see to help etch this point in their minds,and will post
them (if somebody can tell me where/how on this site)

you can post them here:-

groups.msn.com/honestjohn

But you'll need to register first.
caravan fires. - No Do$h
One down........
caravan fires. - PhilW
Reminds me of the time many years ago when we were sitting in front of our tent in Italy supping a glass of wine and a woman in the porch of a frame tent opposite was cooking some exotic Italian meal (it smelled lovely) when the tent caught fire. It disappeared so fast that she was left standing there amidst a smouldering wreck still holding the pan and looking round with a puzzled expression as if to say "What's happening?" Didn't even have time to react. Luckily no-one hurt.
And also the time when an Austrian guy arrived at the beach in Greece with loads of gear strapped/tied/roped to the roof of his VW. He had been towing a caravan, had collided with a crash barrier somewhere in Yugoslavia and caravan had disintegrated. They had collected what belongings they could, swept the remains of the van to side of road and carried on. Slept on the beach for two weeks and then went home!