Protected NCB - Piers
Is this a con?

Adds £50 or so to cost of a £350 premium. So your NCB will stay intact but do you have to stay with the same company for it to be recognised? Can / do they increase your premium due to the claim / accident? Does it drum up more business for the 'approved' accident repair shops as more people are likely to claim for small damage rather than pay for repairs privately? Can the insurance company refuse to quote / renew after a very large (total loss) claim?

Girlfriends insurance up for renewal soon so thought I'd better check.

Piers
Re: Protected NCB - Matt Kelly
My experience of this is as follows :
I have protected NCB - arranged through Admiral.
I went into the back of another car, wrote my own off. My renewal premium when it came through was significantly higher than before. I take it that this was due to the fact I'd had an accident (first for 13 years).
I got quotes from other insurers for renewal, explained about NCB being protected which AA said thay would honour. Their quote was cheaper than Admiral renewal, I now insure through AA.
Re: Protected NCB - Dave N
Of course the premium goes up when you've had a claim. But you still get the same discount off the now higher (because you've had a claim) premium.