smokey rover 620i honda engine - jimmy jazz
hello I drive a L reg rover 620 which whacks out an alarming ammount of smoke when starting from cold. Recently it had a replaced ignition module and coil, and it's past it's Mot no problem.
its done approx 300K but still drives like a good un .....no problems with it apart from the first journey of the day it turns the road into smog avenue for about 2 minutes. Any help would be much appreciated.

smokey rover 620i honda engine - Robin the Technician
The problem lies with your valve guide seals. As you switch off, the engine will come to rest in one of 2 positions- hence the reason why starter ring gears are only worn in 2 places. When at rest, a few valves are either open or semi open and this allows oil, via the guide seals and guides to trickle down and into the combustion chambers. Hence when you start up it emits smoke. At 300k i would imagine they are pretty well worn and should be replaced. Of course the valve guides will probably be worn too but as an interim it may be possible to replace the seals whilst the head is still on the vehicle. IMHO its probably best to lift the head and either do an overhaul or get an exchange. If you are prepared to live with the smoke for the first couple of minutes, then the car will continue to be ok.
Good luck!!

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
smokey rover 620i honda engine - jimmy jazz
thank you for the detailed reply.

are valve guide seals the same as stem seals?

smokey rover 620i honda engine - AN Other
Valve guide seals = valve stem seals. Yes.
smokey rover 620i honda engine - DL
Yey! Haven't I seen this question somewhere else on the web?