99 2.0 Di diesel Di/DTi Concerns - dogtaxi
I'm just about to pick up a V Reg Vectra 2.0Di Estate, after finding my poor dog can no longer comfortably stand in the back of my Celica...

First... I can't find out from the net if this engine is turbocharged (I've only looked briefly under the hood and saw the big Ecotec label, but didn't spend long enough to look like an anorack) The label Di leads me to think not, but the dealer selling it says yes.

Also, I understand the engine has a couple of common faults that can show up... It's got 103k on the clock so I'm expecting a few teething problems, but having experienced the quality of Vauxhall's engineers in the last few years I thought it would be a good idea to get some pointers before I find myself at their mercy. The dealer is giving a 12 month warranty which will hopefully shake out anything major...

Thanks for any pointers. Steve.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 20/01/2008 at 19:41

Vauxhall/Vectra Diesel Di/DTi Concerns - JamZ
I believe they are turbocharged. But does it really matter if it is or not? (I am assuming you have driven it)
Vauxhall/Vectra Diesel Di/DTi Concerns - prm
Dogtaxi, Yes it is the low pressure turbo as opposed to the Dti which is high pressure, they are a good lump but some tend to burn a bit of oil, be prepared to renew MAF sensors, & leak off pipes
Vauxhall/Vectra Diesel Di/DTi Concerns - Dynamic Dave
they are a good lump but some tend to burn a bit of oil....

From HJ's Car by Car breakdown "DI 16v has undeserved reputation as an oil burner. What actually happens is that oil collects in the 16v head and takes a long time to drain back to the sump. Dip within an hour of stopping and you will get a falsely low reading leading you to overfill with fresh oil. "
Vauxhall/Vectra Diesel Di/DTi Concerns - Sooty Tailpipes
On 99-02 models, they do burn a lot of oil, due to the engine bores being incorrectly finished/honed.

www.peachorlemon.co.uk/zafira.htm
Vauxhall/Vectra Diesel Di/DTi Concerns - dogtaxi
Thanks for all of your comments... It turns out that the car needs to have a "diaphram" replaced before I collect it... This is causing fuel to run back out of the fuel line when the car is left standing, and means it takes a while to crank over before fuel reaches the engine again.... They say this is a common problem, although not one that you guys have mentioned... Anyway, thank for the info.
Vauxhall/Vectra Diesel Di/DTi Concerns - wemyss
Almost certainly to be the leak off pipes which are causing the difficulty in starting after being left standing.
A simple half hour job. However Vauxhall usually diagnose injector seals as a matter of course.(a five hour job) and replace these pipes as part of the work.