Trucks & Coaches - Mark (Brazil)
I keep seeing them more and more with a pipe going down to the wheel hub and then seemingly to the air valve.

Assuming that's correct, what's it for ?

And if air flow is involved how to they keep a valid seal between somthing thats spinning fast (the wheel) and something which is not (the pipe) ?
Re: Trucks & Coaches - andy bairsto
I have pressure sensors on my caravan tyres ,there is a tiny transmitter that relays the pressure to a display on my dashboard.On commercials they do have the ability to pump up the tyres and maintain pressure how it works I do not know perhaps a tyre fitter could tell us
Re: Trucks & Coaches - Martyn [Back Room moderator]
My cousin in Canada has a Hummer (has anyone seen these? They're even uglier than the G-Wagen, but hey, they're tough!)

Anyway, you can inflate and deflate the tyres at will from the cab, using an inbuilt compressor, thus adapting the profile of the tyre footprint to the terrain.
Hummer. - David Woollard
Worked on a USAF base a fair bit and these were always flying about the taxiways. A real "school run" machine if I've ever seen one.

No need for a bull bar on them, they're a mobile bull bar.

As to the method of connecting the central tyre compressor to the valves....well real engineers please tell us. The only way I could think of needs huge lengths of air hose and even then you would have to go in reverse from time to time to unwind it from the axles (whoops thought I was an inventor).

David
Re: Hummer. - Martyn [Back Room moderator]
David Woollard wrote:
>
(whoops thought I was an inventor).
>
> David

No, David, surely that's Chr..... oh, hmmm, yes, we're sposed to be easing up on him, aren't we :-(
Re: Hummer. - Brian
That gives another version of "going round the twist", David
Re: Hummer. - Brian
Andy
I've never seen those over here.
They should be compulsory equipment, having seen and suffered 'van blowouts.
In a car you can feel a tyre losing pressure by its effect on the handling.
If you are towing a 'van the first thing you know is when the tyre goes bang and comes off the rim, with detrimental effects.
Re: Hmmm - Mary A Rose
Hmmmm indeed young man.

Is this really the example the hosts should be setting their guests?
Lighten up! - David Lacey
It was obviously meant in good humour!

Lighten up please!
Re: Light up Young Man! - Mary A Rose
Hmmmm indeed young man.

Is that what u | , . means?

I never can get that hang of it all.