What Oil - Tony45
6 months ago i had an oil and filter change done by kwik fit thay charged me £18, today i went back for the same only to be told it is £28, it seems that they want to give me the more expensive oil yet 6 months ago they saw fit to give me the cheap stuff..i have a 1.8 diesil fiesta 4 door 1989..also how often should i change my oil....?
What Oil - madf
Every year or 5k miles, whichever comes soonest.

Comma semi synthetic diesel + filter should cost £17 and is perfectly good enough .

Yours is NOT a turbo so expensive synthetic oil is an expensive nice to have but not needed oil.

madf
What Oil - DL
Normal 10W/40 or 15W/40 Oils will be fine - this is not a highly stressed engine whatsoever.
What Oil - eMBe {P}
You can get oil+filter change at National Tyres for £10 (or £15 for semi-synth). Take a print of the folowing page with you.

www.national.co.uk/main/offers.asp?offer=specials%...p

This is cheap enough if you want to change at 5000 miles, but you can safely stretch that to 10,000+ miles. Trust me, I know.

Search this forum (button on the right) for "oil change" for more information on oil changes than is good for anyone!

What Oil - smokie
£28 doesn't appear on teh Kwik Fit page - see Special Offers on www.kwikfit.co.uk/

Mobil 1 = £34
Mobil Super S = £26
"Great value multigrade engine oil" = £18.

But as eMBe says, National are cheaper than all of these.
What Oil - Tony45
Says on National ( excluding diesels ) looks like i will need to go to kwik fit
What Oil - PhilW
Or DIY? Would only take 20 mins max for oil and filter change and on most cars you can get your container under the car without jacking it up. Do it when engine warm then the oil flows out faster. Don't forget to change copper gasket on sump plug as well. Mind you, at British oil prices you won't do it much cheaper than that National offer - surely they do diesel as well for a small premium?
What Oil - Tony45
Thanks for all your help..great stuff esp for a novice like me
What Oil - madf
I find an old cat litter tray (cat now sadly defunct and SWMBO loves birds so no replacement:-( makes an ideal tray into which to drain oil. High sides and easily cleaned. Then drain into emply 5 litre can using an old filter funnel. (whilst oil warm).
madf
What Oil - blank
I use a washing up bowl.
Foul shade of green bought from a local cheapo shop for less than a quid shortly after a bout of cursing and swearing a few years back.
The temper tantrum was caused by the overflow of oil from the expensive oil draining can I bought - the type designed as a collection tray and container to take to the Tip, all-in-one. The hole in the collection side was nowhere near big enough to cope with the flow of hot dirty diesel-engine oil from our Polo. So it overflowed, on the in-laws' drive. Lovely!

Andy
What Oil - eMBe {P}
>>.. you won't do it much cheaper than that National offer - surely they do diesel as well for a small premium ..>>

National exclude diesels to avoid stocking on special diesel oils.

Tony45: If you are happy with DL's comment >>"..Normal 10W/40 or 15W/40 Oils will be fine - this is not a highly stressed engine whatsoever ..>>, then tell National to fill up with either their £10 hypergrade or the £15 QXR, and write on the invoice that you have asked for this oil and you are happy with this oil in your diesel.
What Oil - Tony45
10w/40 and 15w/40 is this the same as you put into your petrol car...? sorry for being so un-car wise
What Oil - mark999
Just as a matter of interest my local National use Coopers filters, as do Kwik-fit