Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Brill {P}
My dear Mother had someone drive into the back of her car. When she asked him what the hell he thought he was doing, he said "sorry luv I was on the 'phone".

He moves his car some way off, and tries to trick her with misreading his numberplate, but she's too clever for that one matey.

Mum asks him for his details. He say I'm *** and my address is ***, however the passenger in Mum's car recognises him and says ooooh no you're not, you are in fact ***, and what's more I also know you're banned from driving for two years sunshine.

He jumps into his car, and Mother (not too clever at this point) stands in the way of his open door. He shouts a few choice words, and backs up, hitting her with the door. She jumps out of the way luckily only bruised. He zooms off.

She also alledges he'd been drinking.

So , that's ... on the phone ... accident ... no insurance ... banned ... false details ... personal injury ... possibly drinking ...

Looks like little will be done (no longer at last known address), apart from the fact that Mother will have to pay her claim excess (bent crossmember etc). She did call the police at the time, but was told to report to local station.

Nice people you meet on the road these days.

Stu.

Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Altea Ego
Errr strikes me this is more than personal injury, this sounds like assualt.
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Mark (RLBS)
I agree with RF.

Forget the RTA, get her to go down and report an assault.
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Dwight Van Driver
Brill

With Mother to Police Station p.d.q.

DEMAND action. Enough here to fill a notebook with offences and serious ones at that....

DVD
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Alan
Ditto, it's got to be assault. If the police take no action demand to see the duty inspector. One bright note there is a fund to pay for damage caused by uninsured drivers so your no claims should be OK.
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Marcos{P}
Brill,

I agree with all of the above. Get the little toe rag up for whatever you can. I am fed up with little idiots like this making a mockery of the law and hurting/upsetting good law abiding folk.
I presume that your mother is law abiding and not some shotgun wielding armed robber.
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - frostbite
Agree totally with all before, but aren't the police *obliged* to attend when there is any injury involved?
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - martint123
Now if he'd been speeding............

Seriously, if they won't proceed, take it to the local paper - they'll love it or at least should do.
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - daveyjp
Alan - the system for recovering losses from uninsured drivers is unfortunately not a panacea, in fact there are so many rules and regs I'm surprised it pays to anyone. I was hit by an uninsured driver (joyrider actually) who was never caught. I couldn't claim a penny, driver not caught, claim not above £3000 etc etc.
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Godfrey H {P}
Even so there are so many uninsured scrotes causing serious injuries now that it is costing every honest driver £40 on their insurance premium. Go for it on the assault charge Brill. Is's very serious people have been killed by this type of scrote driving off when people stand up to them.
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - J Bonington Jagworth
"so many uninsured scrotes causing serious injuries now that it is costing every honest driver £40 on their insurance premium"

I'm not sure I follow. If they're not insured, then the insurance industry isn't paying out. I can see that knock-for-knock won't work, but then the uninsured driver is rightfully on his own, and the insured driver is unlikely to get special treatment. Or have insurers suddenly come over all altruistic?
(Just checking for low-flying pigs)
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Bromptonaut

JBJ posted
"so many uninsured scrotes causing serious injuries now that it is
costing every honest driver £40 on their insurance premium"
I'm not sure I follow. If they're not insured, then the
insurance industry isn't paying out. I can see that knock-for-knock won't
work, but then the uninsured driver is rightfully on his own,
and the insured driver is unlikely to get special treatment. Or
have insurers suddenly come over all altruistic?

IIRC there is an organisation called the Motor Insurers Bureau which deals with compensation for personal injury where the guilty party was uninsured. As somebody else said the scheme is fairly tightly bound in red tape, but it does pay up. Funded by a levy on the insurance industry, utimately by it's customers, hence the £40 figure.
"..hence the £40 figure"

Still not sure about the maths. Personal injury compensation is usually derisory (to get a serious payout you have to be insulted and famous) and £40 per motorist, even if it's not all of us, is an awful lot of money. Sounds to me a lot more like an excuse for a price hike...
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - SR
If the guilty driver is uninsured, then won't the innocent party have to claim on their own insurance? Their premium will then be loaded, unless they have protected no-claims, and if the insurance company ends up paying out more than they are taking in they'll pass this cost on in the form of higher premiums to everyone else.

As is too common, the guilty party gets away with it at no cost - can't exactly raise the premium on non-existent insurance, can they?
Personal injury claims due to uninsured or untraceable drivers are paid out by the Motor Insurers Bureau which we all pay for by a levy on honest drivers, and yes JBJ it does cost £40 there are that many uninsured drivers out there due to the derisory penalties if caught. So what's it worth being an honest motorist these days?
"..paid out by the Motor Insurers Bureau"

Not according to Daveyjp above! I'm sure they do pay sometimes, but it would be interesting to know what the total bill was - not £400 million, I imagine!

I suspect that a larger contributory factor (to increased insurance costs) is simply the cost of repairs and the tendency of garages to replace expensive parts rather than mend them - see Volvoman's thread on sealed units, etc.
OK JBJ, I was slightly wrong with my figure it's only £30. See this quote from the ABI tinyurl.com/q51n
Fair enough, Godfrey, although I'm not sure that the source (ABI) is entirely neutral! However, I'm not trying to suggest that uninsured drivers are anything but a menace. The problem is exacerbated by the ease with which young oiks can get a licence (assuming they bother) and the differential between the cost of a vehicle and the cost of insuring it.

Not sure how you solve that without making motoring more expensive for everyone...
"luckily only bruised"

Badly enough for a visit to A&E? They would have to note the circumstances which: a) is evidence and b) should automatically involve the police.

Get a doctor to look anyway (if you haven't already), and at least it will be documented.

My sympathies to your Mum - sounds like she will have done us all a service if she nails the little scrote.
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Brill {P}
First of all thanks for the replies and concern.

He's lucky her walking stick was in the boot, and not to hand! Young man!

Ma lives in the Midlands so I'm doing this by phone. She says it was only a bruise and insists I'm making a fuss about a doctor (been through a war you know!).

She has reported all events, and luckily is friendly with the local officer (rural area) who is now on the case.

No details here of course but we now know the 'gentleman' concerned has done time, and Mother is naturally worried about making waves.

Can confirm that the Zafira (her Motability car) has a strong rear end, certainly made a mess of his Merc. Sadly he didn't swallow his 'phone.

Will let you know how thing proceed (don't worry Mods, I'll keep in 'vague').

Thanks again.
Stu.
"He's lucky her walking stick was in the boot, and not to hand!"

So's she, probably, as if she had so much as touched him, he would be exercising his 'rights' PDQ - little oik*.

*OIK = one income, kids
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - GrumpyOldGit
You really must take JB's advice and get your Mum to see her doctor. Evidence of injury can only help.
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Sooty Tailpipes
Where's your local Road Casualty Reduction Partnership s************ Team when you want them?
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - pdc {P}
Changing the film in their Gatso?
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - GJD
You really must take JB's advice and get your Mum to
see her doctor. Evidence of injury can only help.

Seconded. Having been through a war and all that I'm sure she can survive bruises (glad that's all she suffered) but an official record of the injury gives the grotty little urchin one less loophole to try and clamber out through.
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Jonathan {p}
*OIK = one income, kids

What does that mean?

Regards

Jonathan
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Altea Ego
Its good ole british slang, pronounced "oiyk" with a heavy "ka" sound at the end. Means a person of little repute, hooligan.
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Thommo
"oik" (noun). A member of the lower classes specifically one who tends to pronounce an (i) sound as (oi), as in 'oi fancy a gew on that tractor oi do'.
Definition of the word 'oik' below. The abbreviation is a sort of social antonym to DINKY (dual income, no kids yet) who tend to be better off - financially, at least.
".. below"

Or above, if you're in flat view!
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Anglesey Ian
I\'m appalled at what happened to your mother and even worse, would could have happened.

Lots of excellent advice above. I don\'t know if DD and colleagues will allow me to refer to this person as \'scum\'

No problem with me - ND.

AI
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - Hugo {P}
....or Pond life!

This person should be Jailed.

An accident happened near me a few nights ago.

Similar pond life was well over the limit, lost it on a sharp right hand turn and took out part of a garden wall, just missing a house.

However, he's also managed to do away with someone elses transport, a scruffy, but functional XR2 relied upon to get honest joe from A to B.

Let's just hope he's insured. I'll be asking him if we can consider ourselves safe in the village whilst he's around.

Hugo

"Forever indebted to experience of others"
Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - puntoo
Did anyone else catch the news that the conservatives (if elected) will no longer allow the police to target speeding motorists, instead concentrating on uninsured/untaxed/unroadworthy cars and drink drivers.

I dont know if this included those that dont wear a seatbelt (or worse those that allow their children to use the back seat as a free for all play area) or those that still drive with a mobile phone pressed to their ear.

No doubt if IDS were in charge their would have been a swarm of bobbies chasing after this chap, arresting him, crushing his car then transporting him to the nearest magistrates court.

(I can dream)

Banned, uninsured etc. etc.... - nick
Yeah, dream on Puntoo. Opposition promises are worth no more than Government ones, probably less, as there is less chance they'll have to deliver.