Volkswagen Windsreens - Graham Dunn
I regularly drive about 30 ? 40,000 miles per year and have done for the last 25 years. I currently have a Volkswagen Passat TD Estate, first registered in March 2000 and would willingly recommend the car to anyone ? well built, economical, good performance etc.

I want to check to see if I have been unlucky or is there a fault with these cars?

Since I have had the car, I have had to have two new windscreens fitted and have just noticed another new crack. That makes four screens in 11 months. All four have been cracks that start at the bottom or side of the screen and none have penetrated the ?line of sight? area. The screens have been replaced by Autoglass who advise me that they have been caused by stone chips. These chips, whilst just visible, do, to my untrained eyes, appear to be very small. They in no way resemble large stone chips I have received, that have resulted in the need for new screens on previous cars.

In an estimated 750,000 miles of driving a variety of other makes ? Ford, Peugeot, Mitsubishi, I have had about three or four windscreens replaced. In 25,000 miles of Volkswagen driving, I have needed four. Statistically, I have not been unlucky.
RE: Volkswagen Windsreens - Andrew Bairsto
My Mercedes C class is on its third screen the last time I took it to a one man band Garage as it was half the price
of Autoglass (Germany) He told me that there are different grades of screen ,whether this is true I do not know.I also have a Chevrolet Blazer and according to the blurb this is fitted with a coated screen that prevents stone chips and has a life time warranty.
Regards Andy Bairsto
Germania