Peugeot 106 Noisy reverse - Peter D
Hi, I have purchased a Peugeot 106 1.1L March 98 Look 2 67K for my daughter. Nice clean car drives well and stops well. However I notice that the reverse gear is quite noisy paticularly if I reverse up the drive. It\'s not a grinding noise just a cyclic straight cut gear type noise. Is this normal for this box, does your 106 sound noisey in reverse? Thanks
Peugeot 106 Noisy reverse - Aprilia
Lot of times reverse is just a straight-cut gear and will make a kind of cyclical \'wowing\' noise. I wouldn\'t worry.
Peugeot 106 Noisy reverse - SueH
Hiya Peter My Peugeot 106 is noisy in reverse too - it is normal I believe - quite a shock at first though:-)
Peugeot 106 Noisy reverse - 659FBE
Reverse gear is often designed as a matter of \"convenience\" when laying down gear centres and pitches in a transmission. It really is not very critical in terms of either ratio or quietness. Also, there are no durability limitations other than survival.

It would obviously be wise to check the oil level and to correct this if necessary with the specified EP 75 semi-synth oil to GL-5 duty rating.

My 106 is a diesel and has a reasonably quiet reverse gear. My neighbour\'s petrol variant is very noisy as you describe. Looking at the data for this transmission, I suspect that the petrol version has ended up with a rather unfavourable gear pitch as a result of having different ratios.

On a positive note, PSA are very good at providing their vehicles with all the right ratios; the diesel 106 gets the very best out of its limited BHP. Try the equivalent German vehicles from a major manufacturer to see what happens when you fit the \"petrol\" gearbox to a diesel.
Peugeot 106 Noisy reverse - Peter D
Thanks you that guys I am reassured that others find the reverse noisy. Have given the car a once over and all look look. Got a slight noise from the Cam belt area at tick over but vanishes then hot. Either the Tensioner was not change by Peugeot or the the new belt is exciting the water pump bearing. Any thoughts here, what is the typical life of a 106 water pump. Regards

Peter