Cats and soot - Ashley
Hi all,

whilst travelling home today behind a 'T' plate 406 which had no badges on the boot, the only way i knew it was a oil burner was the tell-tale slight puff of smoke when accelerating hard ( presumably with a little turbo too ). I wondered if, after a while, does the soot affect the cat or reduce its effectiveness? I also wondered that if petrol cats won't have to suffer this problem do they last longer than derv ones ?

I know that petrol cats are 3 way oxygenating and derv's are 2 way, so do they 'clog up' with soot or do they 'self clear' now and again ?

Rgds,

Ash.
Sooty Cats! - David Lacey
They are cleaned (purged of accumulated soot) when the driver really puts his foot down, or at the pre MOT test road test.

The amount of smoke/soot that can be bown from the exhaust from a gently-driven turbo diesel car can be quite startling!

Which is why I say drive a turbo diesel engined car hard! (at least once a week!)

The same goes for petrol engined cars.

Rgds

David
Re: Sooty Cats! - Bill Doodson
David's right any oil burner will soot up its turbo unless well used. Here we go again, Marine diesels have steam or water injection onto the blades of the exhaust gas turbine to help to clean the soot off. It make the whole thing work better, we used to do it once a week, to often would lead to other damage to the turbine blades.

Bill