Honda Accord from 1998 on - dodo
Have given up on the Almera and have settled on a 1999/2000 Accord hatch with 40-50,000 miles and full history. 1.8 preferably but what about the 2.0? What should I look out for and how much to pay? Best place to find one? All thoughts appreciated!
Honda Accord from 1998 on - Godfrey H {P}
Have you looked in?www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm
Honda Accord from 1998 on - JohnX
Why have you given up on the Almera.Any specific reasons??
Honda Accord from 1998 on - r_welfare
These Accords are good cars from my experience - my dad bought a 2000/V 1.8 SE Sport 5dr five months ago, and I've just bought a 1999/S 2.0 LS 4dr, picking it up next Saturday...

Both cars are autos, both from Honda dealers, and both (spookily) had 17,500 miles on the clock at purchase. My dad has done 10k in those 5 months, and reports no problems, other than the lacquer on the paint being damaged by bird droppings. Neither is a sports car, but I'd go for the 2.0 as the extra oomph is quite noticeable - mind you it's a heavy car for a 1.8 saddled with an autobox to lug around. Excellent auto gearbox though, with sequential change option.

You get 4 airbags, electric windows and aircon on the base 1.8; LS/SE get more toys like cruise control, an electric sunroof and wood trim which is nice (but not necessarily essential), whilst the ES/Executive gets leather, big stereo, some with sat nav etc.

Big boot but not loads of legroom in the back, a new Civic is apparently far roomier in the backseat!

I'd recommend a Honda Approved car from a franchised dealer because they tend to have plum specimens (and are probably the most likely bet for a car with 40-50k), but you pay a bit more for the privelige. Most with lower mileage like that will have been privately owned, so are likely to be auto.

Prices? My dad's car was up at the dealer for £8,995 but he got it for £8,600 with a year's tax, full tank, year's warranty etc. My car on the other hand was only £5,250, but I am in Guernsey (no VAT so new cars are correspondingly cheaper for a start, and 17k miles in 4.5 years is quite high!), and it was part of a "fire sale" at the Honda franchise to clear a backlog of used stock. Go to www.autotrader.co.uk and see what's about.
Honda Accord from 1998 on - Burnout2
Very sound car. I've put 33k hard miles on my 2.0 SE in well under 2 years and it drives exactly the same at 45k as it did at 12k. Not quite as bombproof as expected though; new steering rack required (just outside warranty period, but Honda paid) and the engine pinks occasionally.

I'd echo most of the comments above - equipment, comfort, safety and build integrity is all excellent. It's a good drive, spoiled only by a lack of low-rev torque. I'd recommend manual over auto since both 1.8 and 2.0 have to be worked - 2.3 in the Type V is more flexible. Motorway refinement good, powerful brakes and a well-judged ride/handling balance.

Downsides; distinctly average (30-ish mpg) economy, high dealer servicing & parts costs (balanced by the fact that very little usually goes wrong), invisible image - which can be a plus. Cabin's a mixed bag - good ergonomics and build (no squeaks or rattles to be heard) spoiled by some tacky switchgear and materials.

Honda Approved Used is generally a good bet, but check everything carefully; their cars are not necessarily fully-historied minters as I found out. The one-owner private route probably offers best value.
Thanks everyone. Think I've settled on a 2001 2.0SE Exec. Well equipped and good as new with 26000 miles. Manual gears and nice dark met blue. The car is 'invisible' and blends in without anyone taking notice. Exactly what I want. Honda approved at £9495 with the chance to knock another £500 off. What ya think?
Honda Accord from 1998 on - Burnout2
If you can get it for £9k, I'd say go for it. Assuming it's a 2001 "facelift" model, the revised gearing helps it feel livelier around town than my car.

One thing you might bring up when haggling; the car is nearly due for it's 27k service, which is a major one and pricey too - at around £300. If the front pads need replacing as well, you're potentially looking at a £400+ bill only weeks after taking delivery.

Also check the service book to ensure the 9k and 18k visits were done by a main dealer at the specified intervals.
Honda Accord from 1998 on - Captain Alex Zippy O' Toole
I had a 2000 2.0 SE Exec, it was a fantastically built car, very comfy and roomy, quite luxurious but totally anonymous.

The engine needs to be worked hard to get it to do anything (under 4000rpm it's like driving a christmas pudding) and if you're used to something a bit more sporty the soft springing and body roll takes some getting used to.

Unfortunately it got filled with sea water during a freakish high tide and things started to go wrong with it in the weeks that followed, so I got shut of it whilst I could still get the proper trade-in for it.

Definitely a nice family saloon though. (But don't buy my old one, obviously.)
Well I didn't take the 2001 SE Exec. Too many gaps in history and odd tyres too. Think I'll try to get the later 2002 Sport model with a budget of up to £10k. Mind you I see the Almera Pulse is now down to below £6700! Confusion reigns!