mazda mx5 clutch judder - alapppy
Hi

I have a new mazda mx5 ( about 3 weeks old) The clutch has a judder which is worse when the car is cold

Mazda tested the car and agreed that a new clutch is in order .Also that this is a common problem with this and some other mazda models

Has anyone any experience of this...also if this does not cure the problem would I be able to reject the car?

thanks

alan

mazda mx5 clutch judder - martint123
Could this be related??
www.miata.net/garage/tsb/sb05-002.02.html

Applicable Model(s)/VINS
2001-2002 Miata with Manual Transmissions built prior to 12/01/2001

VIN range: JM1NB353*10000001-20223944
Description

Some vehicles may exhibit clutch chatter or judder when releasing the clutch during cold conditions. This may be caused by the flywheel and clutch cover surface materials creating a chatter or judder during clutch engagement. The flywheel and clutch cover has been revised to correct this concern.
Repair Procedure

1. Verify the customer concern.
2. Remove the manual transmission according to the following Workshop Manual procedure:

* 5-Speed: Manual Transmission Removal/Installation M15M-D (section 05-11A)
* 6-Speed: Manual Transmission Removal/Installation Y16M-D (section -5-11B)

1. Remove clutch disc, clutch cover and flywheel according to the Workshop Manual procedure Clutch Unit Removal / Installation (section 05-10)
2. Install new clutch, clutch cover and flywheel according to th eWorkshop Manual procedure Clutch Unit Removal / Installation (section 05-10)
3. Reinstall the manual transmission according to the following Workshop Manual procedure:

* 5-Speed: Manual Transmission Removal/Installation M15M-D (section 05-11A)
* 6-Speed: Manual Transmission Removal/Installation Y16M-D (section -5-11B)

1. Verify repair.

mazda mx5 clutch judder - Dereksn51
Yes my2001 1.6 juddered from the day i bought it new.It is a well publicised problem and after persuading the local dealer it was faulty they replaced it.It was changed 6 months ago and is now fine.I doubt you can reject the car simply because the dealer has offered to replace the clutch.You have to at least give them a chance.
Good luck-by the way i've just sold my mx5-but not because of the clutch.These cars are pretty well bullet-proof
mazda mx5 clutch judder - Rdw
Yep, mine 2001 1.8 has done it since new, has just done 11000 miles. Maybe i should go to the dealer and get it changed whilst the warranty is still valid!!
I am having the mark '3' clutch plate fitted on friday. will let you know how it goes . but my dealer has warned me that past promises from mazda have made them quite guarded for the outcome

regards
alan
Mazda fitted the mark 3 clutch upgrade and before I even collected the car they advised me that it was no better in fact worse than before!

They don't have any solution to this one..They have kept the car and I am sure they will try to replace the whole clutch, flywheel etc
I think its time to try to get a replacemt car from mazda. The bolts between the engine and box must be rounded off by now!

Buyers of MX5 beware!

alan