Omega tappet noise - happyvaux
Hi all,
car is a 2.0L 16v ecotec with auto box 89K on clock. Recently done an oil-change & put in vauxhall's 10w40. I have been using their 5w40 but thought it was time to lower the cost. Since then have had tappet noise from the exhaust side rocker area. I've done a flush & gone back to the 5w40 but still can hear the noise. (No apparent loss of power.) On Wed. I put some Comma flush in & left it in (as it says u can) whilst driving.

I plan to change oil again soon , but have I knackered the tappets? I didn't want to just give car to a garage (I'm ok doing many jobs) but I'm a bit concerned about stripping the engine.

Any info. appreciated. I've heard bits of info. but nothing sound.

Cheers,
Pete
Omega tappet noise - Chad.R
The tappet noise/clattering on startup is very common on these engines and should stop a few seconds afterwards.....
Is the noise constant? There maybe a blockage in an oil feed

I'm sure a "techie" will come along soon and give you a proper answer :-)

Chad.

P.S. Did you have any other work done or just simply an oil change?

Omega tappet noise - Aprilia
Changing from a 5W40 to a 10W40 certainly shouldn't result in any tappet damage.
Is the clattering there after a brief bit of running (e.g. driving for a half-mile or so)? If not then I wouldn't worry - it wouldn't be unusual at that mileage.

Incidentally, I would go easy on the flushing - that stuff can bring its own problems (including blocked oilways and oil pump pick-up screens)!
Omega tappet noise - Dynamic Dave

Here's a previous thread regarding a suggestion from Adam Going (Tune-Up), and using Forte Top End Treatment to cure noisy hydraulic lifters.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=15...4
Thanx for replies. Yes the noise is there constantly, although slightly worse at startup when cold. The only other work I did was timing-belt, idler pulleys & tensioner. It seemed ok & I figured if anythimg was wrong I'd soon find out! Am I right on this point?

[I did have a problem tensioning it: I rotated belt 720deg. & checked alignment.It was out by 1 tooth, so I readjusted then checked again, all ok. 2 days later I checked the tensioner position & it had moved to the right as if it had been tightened, but I left it as it was.I thought it had tightened itself because it needed to.]

It seems I'm stuck then. I don't want to give-in & just let a garage loose on it. I could flush it again, but that can cause problems itself.
Is it possible for the timing belt to be 'out' & cause this?

Cheers,
Pete
Omega tappet noise - Dynamic Dave
Are you *sure* it's tappet noise and not a loose cambelt? Loose cambelts can chatter, especially when the engine is cold. Once the engine has warmed up and expanded, the chattering of the belt quietens a little as the block/head have expanded with heat and take up a bit of the slack. Try the 90deg twist test on the belt, ie find the longest distance between two pulleys and see how easy/difficult it is to twist the belt through 90deg. To easy and the belt is too loose.
thanks for latest info. Dave.

I've just done another flush/ oil- change, to no avail though. I've noticed that I can't hear noise whilst it's idling (in neutral), just when I rev the engine. It only taps for the 1st part of the rev also, then disappears. It then reappears whilst driving. As for the cambelt theory, I'm pretty sure the tapping comes from the top-left, near to exhaust manifold area, but I may have to check it anyway.

Is there anything in the fact that there's no noise at idle, but there is noise when I rev it or whilst I'm driving & the engine's under load?

Thanks all,
Pete
Omega tappet noise - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Loose exhaust manifold/Blowing exhaust manifold gasket.Common fault. Worse when cold then quietens as everything heats up. Had a couple where the stud at the timing belt end of the ex manifold shears off.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!
Hi all,
just checked the cambelt tension & all fine.Exhaust manifold all secure too. Still think it's a hydraulic lifter(s) on the exhaust side. Not sure what to do now. It doesn't quieten down when warm either, so I'm thinking it's a bad blockage or maybe lifter(s) broken. I would have had a go myself but I'm not sure of the following:
1. If it is the lifters in the 1st place.
2.How to test them, once out.
3.Concern about breaking bearing-caps, resulting in needing a new head.
4.How to prepare new lifters with oil etc.

Just don't know what to do next. Thanks to all who've replied so far.

Cheers
Pete
Omega tappet noise - Aprilia
1. Don't know
2. I would replace the set.
3. Can't see why this should happen. Just use quality socket and torque wrench when you reassemble. Follow torque sequence.
4. Put them is a container with some oil in and 'pump' a couple of times (use a rod or something to reach into the oil). When lifters are in place give a liberal dousing of the cam assy with some fresh oil to protect it on initial start up. If especially worried then crank a few times with fuel pump relay removed to 'prime' the oilways.
Omega tappet noise - Snakey
I used to have quite a lot of tappet noise from my 1996 2.0 Omega, especially from cold and this only settled down when the engine was warmed thoroughly. I tried various oils and some additives, none of which made a difference.

If its any consolation, my car reached 146k miles before I got rid of it and the tappet noise was about the same as when I noticed it at 89k miles!

I also had the same problem with the camshafts moving a 'tooth' when changing the belt as they spring back easily, a £6 camshaft locking tool was well worth the money
Yippee........a result (it seems)
Took it to a new garage found near work today. Mechanic looked checked oil & listened to it running & was absolutely convinced it was the sheared stud thing which Andrew Moorey had spoken about. He has seen & done many of these over the years & recently & has quoted £60-£70 to sort. The biggest problem is access if it's the far stud on exhaust manifold. He's doing it soon for me.
I thought all was ok with the ex. manifold, but I was assuming That I would hear blowing. In fact I had only looked at the exhaust shroud!

Thanx to all who've replied. Sometimes u can't see for looking..

Cheers,
Pete

Ps thought u all deserved to know. (didn't want to drag this thread on & on)
Omega tappet noise - oscar
Happyvaux,

I have the same problem as your omega - leaking exhaust gasket. Main dealer wants to charge a fortune as their is a high probability that stud will break requiring removal of cylinder head.

Can you put me in touch with the Garage you found. Hopefully we are localish.

Tx!
David
Omega tappet noise - smokie
Seems a bit strong that they justify high charges IN CASE something might happen. What if it doesn't?
Omega tappet noise - oscar
They won't charge as much. I just don't like handing them a blank cheque as there is a £75+VAT per hour labour rate.

Rgds
David