02 V5 170PS Engine Noise - Drage
I wonder if anyone out there can give me some advice?
I've got an 18 month old Golf V5 170PS Tiptronic that develops a faint but distinct engine rattle that comes on at 1800rpm and goes abruptly at 2000rpm that can be heard in 2nd and 3rd gear only when the engine has warmed up. I can't hear it if I hold the revs between these limits at higher gears.
The noise sounds like a rattling tappet, but if this was the case presumably I'd hear it in the higher gears as well?
Using Optimax makes no difference.
The car's done 16000miles and for all I know the noise has been present for ages as I can only hear it when the radio is off.
The car drives OK and I can't hear anything when the engine is idling.
I had a coil pack go 6months ago but that was successfully fixed.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Edited by Webmaster on 28/11/2009 at 04:06

Mystery Golf V5 Engine Noise - Dynamic Dave
Loose exhaust heat shield maybe?
Mystery Golf V5 Engine Noise - medview
Hi All
I also have a V5 170PS Tiptronic Golf with exactly the same noise as described by Drage. Was the noise source ever identified?

I was assuming it was something in the valve actuation path, like hydraulic lifters but another posting makes me wonder if it's related to the variable inlet path control.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

Edited by Webmaster on 28/11/2009 at 04:06

Mystery Golf V5 Engine Noise - Drage

After numerous visits to the garage the cause of the engine rattle was finally tracked down to a faulty device that was supposed to alter the position of the inlet manifold depending on rpm. It was fixed under warranty (?cost in the region of£450), but recurred again after 6 months so I got fed up and sold the car on.
Mystery Golf V5 Engine Noise - medview
Thanks Drage, I was hoping you'd confirm my suspicions.