Vaux stereo safe mode - Big Vern
Was tinkering in the dash of the Vectra, and pulled out the stero safe in the knowledge that I have the security code to re activate the stereo. When I had finished I found that the stereo has locked into SAFE mode as if I had entered the code incorrectly 10 times. DOH! In order to get the oppertunity to enter the code again I have to have the stereo on for 640 min!! Unfortunatly if you leave the car parked and locked up with the stereo switched on it cleverly switches itself off AARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! Is there a combination of buttons I can hold down on power up to force it to allow me to enter the code??

I refuse to go to Vx for summat so annoyingly simple... If required I will bodge a connection from the 12V batt backup to the switched 12V overnight, however if there is an easier way I'm all ears!

Thanks

BTW its a standard Phillips CAR400 as fitted to a 98R Vectra
Vaux stereo safe mode - David Davies
If you hold down the AS button and keeping it held down,switch on the set you will then get a screen with four dashes ready to accept the code.Release the AS button and enter the code using the numeric buttons.When the correct code is entered you press AS again to activate the set.I'm sure this is in the owner's manual.Very easy to do.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
Vaux stereo safe mode - Dynamic Dave
To overide the auto off and ignition on/off, you have to have the ignition switched on, press and hold down buttons 1 & 3 together on the stereo and then turn on the stereo and wait for either a beep or \"IGNITION OFF\" shown on the display, BUT I believe this will only work if the stereo is actually working and not in \"code\" mode.

If however you have entered the code incorrectly 10 times, then this will render the set useless. Again, I believe it was the older stereo\'s that used to double up on minutes every time an incorrect code was entered.

A case really of RTFM, but if you haven\'t got one, then I will post back with the instructions from mine.
Vaux stereo safe mode - Big Vern
Unfortunatly I have RTFM until I am almost word perfect. The Stereo was locked out when I bought the car, and I got Vx to sort it when then did a cam belt change in my 1st week of ownership. I felt safe that in the knowledge that I now have the correct code, however I have not yet had a chance to enter it!!! I have turned on holding AS etc etc all the permintations suggested in the FManual, soon I am going to throw the FManual out the FWindow :o) When I get this fixed I am going to disable the code. (as per the ever helpful manual)

I had also not realised that the cage in Vx cars is a bit like the old removable stereos in that they have blind mate connectors at the back, such that when you remove the stereo the loom does not come out with it i.e. all connections are broken. Very neat and all that, but as I was not expecting the power to be disconnected I had not got round to disabling the code.

So what i am after is how Vx get around the 640min wait, I assume they hold down some combination of buttons on power up.

Last night I wedged a box of BOSH window wipers between the passenger seat at the stereo on button (>12hrs) but still no luck.
Vaux stereo safe mode - Sooty Tailpipes
Are you sure the stereo has to be ON for 640 minutes?
I think you can jusrt wait this long with it on or off.
It's certainly the case with the CD player.
Vaux stereo safe mode - Vin {P}
If your Vx dealer was the last to work on the stereo, why not approach them? They must have left it in the state that you now find it in. Ask them to sort it out for you, as they must have caused the problem. Worth a try, at the very least.

V
Vaux stereo safe mode DOH!!! - Big Vern

After trawling through multiple websites I found what my problem was., to program,.... Ignition on, radio off, hold down AS, turn radio on, keep holding down AS......... yep keep holding down AS......... wait a bit longer (while holding down AS).......and some more holding down AS.......drink tea, while still holding down AS.. aghhh there it is!! Enter code and hey presto!

So in short I am too impatient and did not hold down AS long enough. The radio was NOT locked out at all as when the prompt for the code came up it showed 10 ---- to indicate the 1st attempt.

Feel free to come round and slap my head!!

BTW I have grossly exaggerated the length of time to hold down AS, but it was much longer than I had expected. I will make a note in my manual for next time
Vaux stereo safe mode DOH!!! - Dynamic Dave
I will make a note in my manual for next time

That wouldn't happen to be the manual that "you're almost word perfect" with, is it Vern?? ;o)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Congrats on sorting it.