Oh for trailer MOTs - SjB {P}
M25
Yesterday

Sat behind a beat up old minibus, loaded to the gunwales with holiday appareil and people, towing a RIB on a two wheeled trailer.

Speed, thankfully, zero to walking pace.

What happens next?

A trailer wheel falls off and rolls gently up the road, with the trailer now resting on the suspension arm, apparently sans hub.

Thank heavens for the traffic jam.
Five miles later, the traffic was flowing freely again.

Oh for trailer MOTs - HisHonour {P}
The problem with a RIB trailer is that you have to put it in the water to launch the RIB. Result - wheel bearings rust away in no time, especially if you launch it in the sea. No-one ever seems to bother to clean and grease the bearings on a regular basis. Our local Sailability group had a RIB stolen recently - fortunately the wheel came off the trailer 1/2 a mile down the road and the thieves had to abandon it. One small advantage of NOT maintaining your equipment!
Oh for trailer MOTs - Hugo {P}
The problem with MOTs for trailers is that, for an MOT to be associated with a vehicle, it needs a chassis/reg number or some form of unique identity, otherwise the scheme basically would not work.

This is a huge problem in itself. Imagine the millions of trailers that the DoT would have to register, including the high percentage of home made ones down my way. I've even seen one with a wooden chassis and A frame, the axle was from an A35!

I think the best we will ever have is the existing legislation we have now. Unfortunately, we don't see the local police pulling over vehicles towing trailers during the summer holidays like they should. They should check the roadwortheyness of the trailer and advise on security. Minor defects (lights etc) could be handled with a producer accompanied by a photo of the trailer and reg no of the towing vehicle. Major defects would mean impounding the trailer. Yes it would annoy people, but maybe these people should ensure that the trailer is fit for use before they set off.

IMO a major defect would also include incorrect or no registration number on the trailer. Sounds petty but how much does a number plate cost these days, much less that the family holiday!

H

Oh for trailer MOTs - Pugugly {P}
and let us not forget caravans. Left in the open in Winter and dragged around roads in summer.
Oh for trailer MOTs - Bromptonaut
hugo wrote:

The problem with MOTs for trailers is that, for an MOT
to be associated with a vehicle, it needs a chassis/reg number
or some form of unique identity, otherwise the scheme basically would
not work.
This is a huge problem in itself. Imagine the millions of
trailers that the DoT would have to register, including the high

>>>

Don't rule it out, French trailers already carry their own reg and the dutch are reported to be on the verge of adopting the same system.

simon
Oh for trailer MOTs - flatfour
Made my own trailer using A35 axle, put on braking drawbar as used on caravans and connected up to the brakes with high tension wire cable, I must have done 100 000 with it then sold it to a friend for a fiver who regularily runs it to Cornwall, yes it is and was well maintained, the original springs and shockers were used so no bouncing and it really held the road well.
hugo wrote:

The problem with MOTs for trailers is that, for an MOT
to be associated with a vehicle, it needs a chassis/reg number
or some form of unique identity, otherwise the scheme basically would
not work.
This is a huge problem in itself. Imagine the millions of
trailers that the DoT would have to register, including the high

>>>

Simon wrote:

>>> Don't rule it out, French trailers already carry their own reg and the dutch are reported to be on the verge of adopting the same system.
>>>

And several weeks ago I wrote in another thread to say that the Czechs have done this for years, too. Every trailer is registered as a vehicle in its' own right, has a registered owner, is subject to an annual MOT, has its' own number plate rather than use the one of the towing vehicle, and I believe, has its' own insurance, too.

In reply to SjB:-

OK so a guy\'s allowed to be totally wrong once in a while :)

H
;-))

Nice to see some humour!

Oh for trailer MOTs - mab23

They do this in the US too, trailers get their own reg plate.

I saw a Land Rover towing a trailer near Sutton Bank a couple of weekends ago, it had lost the whole undercarriage off the trailer (wheels + axle) and this appeared to have careered off into a car travelling in the other direction... doh!

mike
Oh for trailer MOTs - Cliff Pope
All you lot wanting to MOT trailers obviously don't own many, or else are very rich.
I have a caravan, ex-army trailer, 2 dinghy trailers, plus various tractor implements on wheels or rollers. This is quite common amongst us country folks. All to be lugged down to the garage for an annual MOT at £25 a go?
Then I expect there will be an initial registration inspection at my expense?
No thanks. I just service them properly and drive carefully within each one's capabilities. The tractor itself doesn't even require an MOT, so why should it's trailers?
Oh for trailer MOTs - Stargazer {P}
Same as in Australia, regular RTA inspection for road worthiness. Each trailer has a registration number which is tied back to either a manufacturers serial number/id plate or an identifying mark/number if home built....very common in country australia.

Ian L.
Oh for trailer MOTs - X5
I'd be all for this, or for separate registrations for trailers, because it may make it much more unattractive an item to steal. Ifor Williams horse trailers just seem to take wings and fly, so any impediment would be a benefit. I suppose this would then lead on to having some visible display on the trailer to show it had been tested, otherwise chances of enforcement are negligible. It begins to sound like a tax disc, actually. Perhaps not such a good idea then.
Oh for trailer MOTs - philcook
What's a gunwale
Oh for trailer MOTs - HisHonour {P}
It's the lip on the edge of the deck on a boat or ship. Once the water comes over that, you're sinking.
Excusing apostrophe abuse, usually pronounced gun'll.
Oh for trailer MOTs - Flat in Fifth
Also in connection with boats and trailers one can hang the boat from the gunwhales on suitable mounts attached to the trailer.

Thus the weight of the boat is born on the edge of the deck and because nothing (i.e. rollers) is touching the hull keeps the bottom nice and shiny below waterline for best speed in the water. Only seen on certain light racing dinghies to my knowledge but quite prepared to be corrected there.

Known as a gunwhale hung trailer.
Oh for trailer MOTs - RogerL
As a caravanner I'd vote for trailer MoT's. My caravan is serviced properly, regularly so should pass one without any trouble but many aren't.

All it needs is trailer registration and a Mot exemption for agricultural trailers (limited to 20mph).

It might also stop car drivers winging on about caravans!
In principle I agree, but I would contest such a proposal for the simple reason that it gives the Chancellor another tool to extract money out of motorists.

First the MOT, then VED??

Think about it!

Personally, as the current law allows police to clamp down on poorly maintained trailers that are on our roads, I say lets use this fully to begin with.

If a small camping trailer on the road has severe corrosion around its A frame or load capacity then it should be confiscated and crushed, or at least ordered off the road until suitable repairs are carried out and inspected by a police mechanic - simple as that!

If a braked trailer is carrying its normal braked capacity and the brakes are not working, then the law is being broken. If on the other hand the brakes are disabled and it is carrying it's unbraked capacity, then that is OK.

H