Scratches on Laquered Cars - Tony Etheridge
Our deep blue new car recently had an argument with a bush lurking on a roundabout in Milton Keynes, and there are some scratches on the bodywork. They are white(ish). I have tried polishing with ordinary polish, then with blue T-Cut, but they are still there. Then the owner of a local bodyshop told me that there was laquer on top of the paint, and when it is scratched it goes milky. Is there any touch-up goo for laquer?
Re: Scratches on Laquered Cars - Michael
it's usually the polish drying in the scratch that causes the white lines. I successfully used a scratch stick from halfords. Basically its like a lipstick made of blue wax. You rub it into the scratch and fill the scratch to the surface then apply normal polish to seal it. Short of expensive spray work it was quite acceptable, providing you dont look too closely. You now know why after 3 successive dark blue cars, I now drive a silver one. Metallic Dark blue, looks great but shows every scratch, dent, chip, blemish....
Re: Scratches on Laquered Cars - Phil Goodacre
Tony, I also have had 3 dark blue metallic cars and suffered all the ills that you and Michael describe. Michaels solution is regrettably temporary as it will wear off as you wash the car. The best solution is a permanent cure. Give Bak2Nu a call (0845 604 4433). They will sort the problem for you no problem. They also have a web site www.bak2nu.co.uk where they give examples of their work and an indicative price list. When you've done it, give Autorenew a call on 01332 202990.
Scratches on Laquered Cars - Trade Tip! - David Lacey
Easy one this -

Clean the offending area down with panel wipe, mask it up and carefully spray a light coat of clear laquer over the scratch.

Allow to dry and compound it down, the sprayed on laquer will fill the scratch

Apply a coat of polish and no-one will see (unless they look very hard)

Have done this many a time after being shown this little trick. It works well on dark blue cars very well, incidentally.

Rgds

David (giving away trade tips) Lacey
Re: Scratches on Laquered Cars - Trade Tip! - fred smith
who cares about scratches the last 4 cars I've part ex'd the garage never even bothered looking at them and gave me top book...

i think theyre just glad to see a non-family man with a car that hasnt had gruby kids crawling all over it

maybe i just look honest ?
Re: Scratches on Laquered Cars - Trade Tip! - Guy Lacey
Thank you Dave - owner of one hell of a banged-up dark blue metallic A4 soon to be on display at Smeatharpe Banger Racing Stadium in the Caravan Destruction Derby!
Banger car! huh! - David Lacey
Yes, I know, but one has 'the other half' parking in Sainsbury's car park etc (just because it's 'closer to Taunton Town Centre and you don't have to pay')and it seems to 'attract' parking dings and dents. How people can knowingly take your door and wheelarch out and drive off is beyond me.

Yes, I know I caught the OSR wheelarch on the wall after doing a friend a 'favour'...........Doh!

All a bit beyond a laquer repair, I know!

David
Grammar & Yellow Tubes - Guy Lacey
....or even lacquer repair.

Back to business - Dave, what was that jollop you showed me at work that worked wonders? Yellow tube methinks.
Farecla G3 & grammar mishtake!! - David Lacey
Oh OK then mate you got me there. I must admit I did ponder over the spelling for a while....

The yellow tube contained Farecla G3 rubbing compound - a bodyshop stablemate for paint renovation much more aggressive than T-Cut - but use it carefully!

Did a good job on my A4 to get rid of the micro-scratches all over!

David