Scenic RX4 versus What? - Nsar
My Mrs wants a new(ish) motor. Quite attacted by the RX4 on the basis of practicality, turbo diesel, distinctiveness in that format and the body panels (she's a liability in the car park.) New Scenic range doesn't have an RX4 though and £15k for a newish second hand seems a bit rich for a low prestige marque in what is about to be an old shape.

Wants a bit of class, quite attracted by A3 but put off buying a recent 2nd hander by arrival of new model and no 5 door option in the new car, if she was going to go for new.

Looked at and been impressed by Focus but new one around the corner, ditto Golf except they're expensive for what you get.

What's Freelander reliability like these days?

Over to you BR people
Scenic RX4 versus What? - Woody
I bought a Freelander TD4 in October 2000 and it was a constant source of grief on the reliability front. Avoid.

Looking at practicality, utter reliability and, a little, prestige I would whole heartily recommend our Freelander replacement the Honda CRV Sport.

No diesel option, but the 2.0L petrol is torquey enough and returns around 28 mpg V Freelander 35 mpg.

Honda CRV is the one for you IMHO.
Scenic RX4 versus What? - Maz
I'm tired of people knocking the Freelander.
I've driven one for many years, and will continue to do so until I reach my destination.
;-)
Scenic RX4 versus What? - BobbyG
I would avoid the RX4. I have a normal Scenic with the dci, a heavier RX4 must be a lot slower and a lot less economical.

However, I think 15 K is well off the mark, Arnold Clark in Scotland are trying their hardest to get rid of all Scenics and I wouldn't be surprised if they were "open to offers" on an RX!
Scenic RX4 versus What? - DavidHM
I've just been in a Jeep Cherokee - okay it's four years old and the design 20 - and quite frankly, the interior packaging was woeful. My friend who was driving actually does off road it (other car is a Defender) but still - if you want practicality, don't get a 4x4.

If you must, make it a RAV4 or an X-Trail, but to be honest, I'd rather just save £5k and get a Picasso or something similar and let go of the four wheel drive thing unless you actually need it. (Maybe don't dismiss a Mazda Tribute or Ford Maverick if you can get a HUGE discount).

Four wheel drive is a wonderful invention on rally cars, sports cars (Impreza, Audi Quattro) and off roaders that actually go off road, but sticking it underneath a people carrier and trying to transform it into some kind of urban activity vehicle is quite frankly likely to be banned by the swear word filter.

If you don't believe me, I saw a Kangoo Trekka today, which was metallic lime green, with dark tinted windows and 17" chrome alloy wheels. Do you want even a tiny part of that?
Scenic RX4 versus What? - Nsar
>>I saw a Kangoo Trekka today, which was metallic lime green, with dark tinted windows and 17" chrome alloy wheels.>>

Blimey David, have a thought, some of us might read this before breakfast time. I'm going to have a lie down down to get over that thought
Scenic RX4 versus What? - TrevP
May I suggest the Mazda Premacy? Top class reliability.

or Nissan Almera Tino.
Scenic RX4 versus What? - KB.

I toyed with the idea of a 4x4 but ultimately didn't think I was gaining enough to justify the extra cost. After much deliberation and having looked at just about everything in the small MPV market (Tino, Picasso, Premacy, Kia Carens, Multipla, Scenic).....I've just ordered a silver Corolla Verso Diesel from 'drivethedeal'. With metallic it was £12680) delivered if I so chose.
Seemed the best compromise of cost, space, usefulness and most of all reliability.

Autobytel were £30 cheaper but their authorised dealer in Surrey didn't bother ringing me back following my enquiry to them - that failure of good manners cost them a sale. Local dealer admitted their inability to get anywhere near that price but were (obviously) happy to do the servicing.
KB.
Scenic RX4 versus What? - Canon Fodder

Good choice IMO KB, decent looking vehicle, the Corrola Verso - Kylie to the Yaris Verso's Danii.

CF
Scenic RX4 versus What? - KB.
When you look like I do, CF, either Kylie or Danni look most acceptable. :-)

BTW, For Nsar's reference the Verso is a T3. This gives you the air/con.... and also alloys (whether you want them or otherwise).
KB.
Scenic RX4 versus What? - Altea Ego
Do not under any circumstances consider a Scenic RX4 - drop the thought from your mind at once. Its a dog. Handles like a dog, drives like a dog, slow, thirsty, and very unreliable

Apart from that its fine
Scenic RX4 versus What? - LongDriver {P}
Megane Scenic RX4 2.0 Privilege Monaco at Motorpoint, brand new unregistered (although will be an import - probably from Malta or Cyprus etc) at £13999
Scenic RX4 versus What? - Spiritburner
Although I love the style, practicality, driving position etc I would not recommend the Scenic RX4 or possibly any Scenic for reliabilty. After a string of problems on my MK1 scenic which I bought 3 years old I put it down to bad luck & opted for an 18 month old 18K miles RX4. I have no problem with the drive, comfort etc - the car is ideal for my purposes but it has been very unreliable - leaking sunroof, leaking rear window, rear diff seal, brake fade, some engine gas sensor I can't remember the name of, horns & thats just in 18 months/30K. Many of the faults have taken the dealer a few times to get to the bottom off. If it wasn't for the warranty & the excellent customer support staff at the dealer I would be even less pleased.
Outside of the rep cars - Mondeo, 406 & Vectra I can't give an opinion. I may take my fathers advice & go for a Nissan X-Trail next time around - it gets good reviews on this site.
Freelander - yes, I've heard mixed reviews on reliabilty but another concern was safety. At 30mph crash test the Freelander fared worse than a Fiesta with major structural damage to the body shell!