Xantia 5th Gear's gone awol - Big Tim
Has anyone had any experience of this?

I was driving on the M42 yesterday in 5th gear and starting up an incline when I lost all drive in 5th gear.

I checked I wasn't resting my foot on the clutch, nope. Not knocked it into neutral, nope. I dropped down to 4th, and that worked. Quite strange.

Stopped at the services and checked I had all the other gears, yes all present and correct.

I've had no problems with the clutch/gears prior to this. the car has done 126,000 and been dealer serviced throughout.

I'll have to take it to the garage to get it looked at, but if it's going to be an expensive job, then its not worth doing, well by the garage anyway.

Anyone with any ideas?

TIA.

Big Tim
Xantia 5th Gear's gone awol - Hugo {P}
Not yet, I have a Xantia.

The first place to look would be the gear linkage. If there was no noise associated with the loss, then this may be the problem.

If the worst comes to the worst. Suggest you price up replacement low mileage gearboxes, from Universal Parts or similar, and get that fitted. The labour cost should be no more that changing a clutch, as the gearbox has to be removed on this anyway.

If your clutch needs changing get this done at the same time.

****Signature? - Ideas on a postcard please anyone!****

****We never stop learning****

Hugo
Xantia 5th Gear's gone awol - DavidHM
At 126k, if it's on the original clutch, it does need changing if the box is coming out anyway, even if it's working perfectly.

In fact, given that a clutch kit is usually under £100, compared to perhaps four hours' labour at (say) £160, and the cost of a box, it seems silly not to if the clutch has anything more than about 40k on it.
Any update on this Tim?

--
Signature has been removed due to lack of interest!

Hugo
I took it to the garage Wednesday morning and left it with them to check it out when they could.

It seems that the 5th gear is (non technical description) outside the main gearbox and is accessable without dropping the box. So they were going to do that and see what happened.

First phonecall yesterday afternoon sounded hopefull. The selecter had broken. They could get the bits for today and repair it by tonight/saturday morning.

Second phonecall late yesterday was the bad news. When they've stripped it down further it seems that the selecter breaking has also damaged the shaft. So they'll have to dismantle it further to replace the shaft. Much more expensive.

I'm not sure if it's the gearbox that's being stripped or something else because at this point all I could think was "how much?"

As I balanced out the need to have the car to get to work (I work down south during the week and the train doesn't even start to be an option), the money I'd lose by not being in work next week while I get a fiendly mechanic to do the job cheaply, etc. So I told them to go ahead. Estimated costs of £600+

Seems the mechanics think it's a tidy little car considering. They must mean mechanically because it's full of junk inside :-)

I'll post the details of what they did over the weekend.

Big Tim
Xantia 5th Gear's gone awol - none
Speaking as a mechanic / human being I get fed up listening to all of the criticism aimed at the motor repair trade.
I thought I'd heard it all - liars, hostile, dirty, incompetent, crooked etc. - but fiendly sinks to a new low in the insult department.
Sorry I can't help with your gearbox problem.
Xantia 5th Gear's gone awol - DL
Might it have made more sense to go for a recon box?
Might it have made more sense to go for a recon
box?

Or even 2nd Hand CW 6 months warranty from Universal Parts

H
Xantia 5th Gear's gone awol - Anglesey Ian
Do you think that BigTim might have misspelled 'friendly' Carrick?

A suggestion of course, that only BT can answer.

Many visitors to Backroomland can only be extremely grateful and appreciative to the many talented mechanics/technicians and engineers who give up their time to answer queries in the technical scetion thus saving much expense.

Regards,

Ian
Oops, well spotted.

Actually, my mechanic mate is pretty good when it comes to anything mechanical and he's the first point of call for quite a few people I know.

I ended up having the work done by the local Citroen garage because as I mentioned before, it's a balance between the cost of the repair and the cost of not being able to get to work and the cost of finding a replacement.

It was the 5th gear synchro that had gone and it'd also damaged the splines on the primary shaft so that's been replaced as well.

So I now have a working car :-) and a thinner wallet :-(

Big Tim
Looks like the message board thing doesn't like "<"'s I'd put

fx: Opens work sheet

It was the 5th gear synchro that had gone and it'd also damaged the splines on the primary shaft so that's been replaced as well

fx: Closes work sheet to avoid total at the bottom

Big Tim
Xantia 5th Gear's gone awol - Dynamic Dave
Looks like the message board thing doesn't like "<"'s I'd put
fx: Opens work sheet

BT, what are you trying to do? Let me know, I can then edit your post.
Xantia 5th Gear's gone awol - Gregory P
Hugo. You mention universal parts. Can you give us their contact and address details so I can try them out?

Thanks
Hugo. You mention universal parts. Can you give us their contact
and address details so I can try them out?
Thanks

Greg

Tel 08456 099199. They are based in Kirkby - West Lancs

I actually found them in Yellow Pages. They were the cheapest out of everyone for my replacement engine. They will sometimes match other prices.

I think they deliver on a national rotor. The engine took about a week to arrive, but it was exactly as they promised. I even got a nearly new clutch with it as well.

H