Vehicle theft - andy bairsto
My brother in law and family have just returned from holiday and while in Italy somebody broke into their big american mobile home.Believe me it has every type of of alarm fitted .What the culprits did we think is connect a high powered battery to the vehicle the wrong way round and blow half the electrics to bits so disarming the alarm .They did not try to drive it away as i think it would to easily spotted.They noticed all the italian and french vehicles had left there windows and doors open with something of little value easily visible.The police blamed illegal Albanians immigrants.Its the same the world over.
Being a diesel they managed to get it started but it is going to cost a fortune to put everything correct.
Alarms. - David Woollard
Funny you should come up with this just now. Was just about to post new topic as follows.....

Have just been asked to fit an alarm to an older car. One that protects contents, not so worried about the drive away issue.

Any ideas for a proven one that retails for £75 - £100?

David
Re: Alarms. - Mark (Brazil)
Rottweiler-cross ?

Price would be about right, although maintenance may be an issue. However it has many varied applications.

Sorry.

slapping my own wrist.
It's an old trick but it might just work ... - Darcy Kitchin
Sorry, Rottweiler cross or any canine alarm easily disabled with the old dog-biscuit scam.
Re: It's an old trick but it might just work ... - Mark (Brazil)
it wouldn't work with mine. They'd attack you and then eat the dog biscuit afterwards.

Mind you, neither are mine Rottweiler, they're extremely large Retreivers (about 8 stone each).
Re: It's an old trick but it might just work ... - Darcy Kitchin
Ulp!
Re: Alarms. - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
The Sparkrite range would fit the bill with current sensing, pin switches and ultrasonics. Available from most good accessory shops and not too expensive.
Re: Alarms. - Ash Phillips
A cheapo Sparkrite is a good bet, but best thing is to have an auxillary (battery backed up) 130 dB sounder fitted under the dash to fill the car up with eardrum splitting noise. Inside a car that kind of volume is very painful.
Re: Alarms. - Michael
Dave, 80% of the value of an alarm is the deterrent effect of making the thief think it's alarmed. If they think its alarmed and are still prepared to break in, no alarm yet invented will prevent them. Moral is, fit a flashing red light (led) and an "Alarm" sticker, imho, of course
Re: Alarms. - David Woollard
Michael,

Totally agree on the deterrent issue. Also that all any immob' does is to stop the car starting. You can do any amount of one-off trickery to get the same result for the cost of a few switches at the breakers and some cable.

But in this case it is for a young lady customer who has just forked out for a door repair after "the boys" levered her door lock out and pinched some gear.

So it needs to be a proper job with a decent unit.

David
Re: Alarms. - Mark (Brazil)
David,

I don't think it really matters.

Nobody seems to pay any attention to alarms these days, especially with all the false alarms.

I think an alarm is only useful if you are near the car but can't actually see it.

Other than that I suspect you are just as well with a visible deterrent, irrespective of whether or not it actually functions.

M.
Re: Alarms. - Mark
Don't wish to be dull but surely the answer is not to leave items of interest in view to tempt the toerags.

Costs nothing to put in in the boot.

as ever

Mark
microscan alarms. - chris watson
microscan alarms are very loud plus have many different sirens, and cost about £50 for a basic system, plus you can up-grade it so it can become a catagory 1 alarm, but that is only if you also fit the catagory 2 rolling code immobiliser which costs about another £65.
Re: Alarms. - Michael
buy her the rottweiller then...!
Re: retrievers - Carole Adams
Retrievers will eat anything. Mine has eaten a range of weird and wonderful items, including a pop-off cassette front (and I mean eaten, not chewed). However his deterrent ability is less impressive, being only of a visual nature, as basically he's a big teddy bear who would fall for any scam involving food (I use the term "food" in its broadest possible sense here, obviously) and would invite any intruder in to car or house to be his friend.
The Dog Lovers' Backroom - Mark (Brazil)

Not mine. Take your arm off given half a chance. I once returned to a carpark in Santiago, where you leave the keys and the move the car around during the day, to find the dogs asleep outside the car and the carpark attendant inside refusing to get out until I moved the dogs.

He'd only been in the car 15 minutes or so but he was a trifle irritated.

Mind you, they'd help you carry stuff to the car if they knew you. It would be possible to steal anything, including them, if at some point in the past introductions had been performed.

M.
Re: retrievers - John Slaughter
Carole

So, taking him shooting isn't going to be a good idea then. Imagine the scene, table set, guests waiting, and then, 'Now I think I've got all the pellets out, and don't worry about the marks on it, but I had a bit of a problem getting Rover to hand the bird over'
Great!

Cheers

John
Re: The Dog Lovers' Backroom - Alex. L. Dick
For goodness sake, what do they retrieve? Shooting over them must be a high risk occupation!

Cheers from the old radio Owl!
Re: Vehicle theft - Ian Cook
Seeing all the postings about dogs reminds me of a TV motoring programme a few years back. Apparently the South Africans reckon that a snake on the car seat is the ideal deterrent. It doesn't even have to be a real one.
Re: Vehicle theft - Mark
If I remember rightly it is also possible in S.Africa to get a flamethrower kit which fits under the side skirts of the veichle. If the car is rushed by a mugger trying to get in the driver can activate the device which shoots a sheet of flame out from either side of the car toasting the would be criminal.

I have seen this demonstrated on the TV I think it was TG about 3 yrs ago.

as ever

Mark