Air filters - Greg Parker
I looked at the air filter in my very old car and it seems quite dirty from the top but clean from the side (i.e. white).

I think it is a paper one and wondering how do I know when it needs changing. Are there any pages showing what condition they should be in.

Also, when should fuel filters be changed and what does failure to change them do to the engine?

Air filters - james_60
Hi

air filters in my case are changed at every service ie every 12 thousand miles if you keep within the car manufacturers service guide,

if its dirty replace it,

as for the fuel filter change it if its due as it stops rust etc getting to the carb and other odd junk from the fuel tank (my problem on my fiesta i think)

kind regards
J Stephenson

let me know what happens
Air filters - sean
All filters are designed to trap contaminants.

When your air filter starts to block, airflow through it diminshes. Less air means a richer mixture, if not ECU controlled and wasted cash.

If ECU controlled, it means lower power output as the engine is throttled back by lack of air. An air mass meter detects just how much air there is, it's temperature and flow rate.

If an oil filter gets blocked.... The same. Engine wear, seizure etc.

If a fuel filter gets blocked.... The same. Lack of fuel, power restriction. Ultimate stoppage with fuel starvation. Overheating with hot, weak fuel mixture.

Filters are very cheap. They are protection for your car's systems.

Change them.
Air filters - Dynamic Dave
Details of which particular car you're talking about will help, as every manufacturer has its own set of guidelines to as when filters chould be changed, and it's also dependant on the model/engine size of car as well.